Monitor flickering...I beg help

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello. I recently installed a new 19 inch plasma "viewsonic" flat monitor.
Its really nice. The only problem is...I can only get it to refresh at 75
hertz. If I could only make it refresh at 100 hertz or something, then the
flickering problem would be solved.

It tells me "out of range"...so I guess the monitor cant support more than
75 hertz, but its a $900 monitor and I think it shouldn't flicker like this.
Can someone please help me?... Its flickering not like LINES flying over the
screen...its more like...ghosting...it flickers so fast you cant see it but
it strains your eyes to look at it. Ive tried messing with the drivers for my
graphic card (NVIDIA GeforceFX)...but to no avail.

Im wondering if theres something im missing? Is there a way to increase the
hertz on your monitor? (it wont let me set it past 75 hertz). I know
resolution shouldn't be the problem. Its at 1024x968 I believe..or 1028...

I like this monitor but its really hurting my eyes. All help is appreciated.

Thanks

TFT displays have a single --native -- resolution at a single -- native --
refresh rate. Some (not all) such displays support extrapolation to other
resolutions via mathematical algorithms. No TFT display supports any refresh
rate other than their native refresh rate. Read your Viewsonic manual -- it
will tell you the native resolution and refresh rate for which your TFT
monitor is designed for.

If you experience a ghosting type flicker in native mode, contact Viewsonic
for replacement of defective display.

steve

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I recently installed a new 19 inch plasma "viewsonic" flat monitor.
> Its really nice. The only problem is...I can only get it to refresh at 75
> hertz. If I could only make it refresh at 100 hertz or something, then the
> flickering problem would be solved.
>
> It tells me "out of range"...so I guess the monitor cant support more than
> 75 hertz, but its a $900 monitor and I think it shouldn't flicker like
this.
> Can someone please help me?... Its flickering not like LINES flying over
the
> screen...its more like...ghosting...it flickers so fast you cant see it
but
> it strains your eyes to look at it. Ive tried messing with the drivers for
my
> graphic card (NVIDIA GeforceFX)...but to no avail.
>
> Im wondering if theres something im missing? Is there a way to increase
the
> hertz on your monitor? (it wont let me set it past 75 hertz). I know
> resolution shouldn't be the problem. Its at 1024x968 I believe..or 1028...
>
> I like this monitor but its really hurting my eyes. All help is
appreciated.

> Thanks

You can use DirectX to override the refresh rate:
Go to> START>RUN>(type)DXDIAG>ENTER>MORE HELP>OVERRIDE>
(click)OVERRIDE VALUE>(type100MHZ(in the edit box)
>OK> 'viola - you have relieved your eyestrain. BECAREFUL
not to go higher then the manufacturers recommended MHZ
limit. :)

sama

Viewsonic doesn't have a 19" plasma monitor. Care to tell us what it
really is?

Sean wrote:

> Hello. I recently installed a new 19 inch plasma "viewsonic" flat monitor.
> Its really nice. The only problem is...I can only get it to refresh at 75
> hertz. If I could only make it refresh at 100 hertz or something, then the
> flickering problem would be solved.
>
> It tells me "out of range"...so I guess the monitor cant support more than
> 75 hertz, but its a $900 monitor and I think it shouldn't flicker like this.
> Can someone please help me?... Its flickering not like LINES flying over the
> screen...its more like...ghosting...it flickers so fast you cant see it but
> it strains your eyes to look at it. Ive tried messing with the drivers for my
> graphic card (NVIDIA GeforceFX)...but to no avail.
>
> Im wondering if theres something im missing? Is there a way to increase the
> hertz on your monitor? (it wont let me set it past 75 hertz). I know
> resolution shouldn't be the problem. Its at 1024x968 I believe..or 1028...
>
> I like this monitor but its really hurting my eyes. All help is appreciated.
>

> Thanks

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I recently installed a new 19 inch plasma "viewsonic" flat monitor.
> Its really nice. The only problem is...I can only get it to refresh at 75
> hertz. If I could only make it refresh at 100 hertz or something, then the
> flickering problem would be solved.
>
> It tells me "out of range"...so I guess the monitor cant support more than
> 75 hertz, but its a $900 monitor and I think it shouldn't flicker like
this.
> Can someone please help me?... Its flickering not like LINES flying over
the
> screen...its more like...ghosting...it flickers so fast you cant see it
but
> it strains your eyes to look at it. Ive tried messing with the drivers for
my
> graphic card (NVIDIA GeforceFX)...but to no avail.
>
> Im wondering if theres something im missing? Is there a way to increase
the
> hertz on your monitor? (it wont let me set it past 75 hertz). I know
> resolution shouldn't be the problem. Its at 1024x968 I believe..or 1028...
>
> I like this monitor but its really hurting my eyes. All help is
appreciated.

> Thanks

The maximum refresh rate that you can ***select*** is determined
by your video adapter and its perception of what your monitor can
take. I have had PCs whose video adapter "refused" to go beyond
60 Hz, because they "thought" that the monitor could not take it.
In some cases I resolved the problem by telling Windows that I had
a different monitor from the one I really had. In other cases I
temporarily plugged in a different monitor until I had selected the
desired refresh rate. In some cases I used a different video adapter.

Pegasus:

You need sleep. The OP said "plasma" -- not CRT ;-))

steve

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello. I recently installed a new 19 inch plasma "viewsonic" flat
monitor.
> > Its really nice. The only problem is...I can only get it to refresh at
75
> > hertz. If I could only make it refresh at 100 hertz or something, then
the
> > flickering problem would be solved.
> >
> > It tells me "out of range"...so I guess the monitor cant support more
than
> > 75 hertz, but its a $900 monitor and I think it shouldn't flicker like
> this.
> > Can someone please help me?... Its flickering not like LINES flying over
> the
> > screen...its more like...ghosting...it flickers so fast you cant see it
> but
> > it strains your eyes to look at it. Ive tried messing with the drivers
for
> my
> > graphic card (NVIDIA GeforceFX)...but to no avail.
> >
> > Im wondering if theres something im missing? Is there a way to increase
> the
> > hertz on your monitor? (it wont let me set it past 75 hertz). I know
> > resolution shouldn't be the problem. Its at 1024x968 I believe..or
1028...

> > I like this monitor but its really hurting my eyes. All help is
> appreciated.
> >

> > Thanks
>
> The maximum refresh rate that you can ***select*** is determined
> by your video adapter and its perception of what your monitor can
> take. I have had PCs whose video adapter "refused" to go beyond
> 60 Hz, because they "thought" that the monitor could not take it.
> In some cases I resolved the problem by telling Windows that I had
> a different monitor from the one I really had. In other cases I
> temporarily plugged in a different monitor until I had selected the
> desired refresh rate. In some cases I used a different video adapter.

I agree. Good night!

"joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Pegasus:
>
> You need sleep. The OP said "plasma" -- not CRT ;-))
>
> steve
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello. I recently installed a new 19 inch plasma "viewsonic" flat
> monitor.
> > > Its really nice. The only problem is...I can only get it to refresh at
> 75
> > > hertz. If I could only make it refresh at 100 hertz or something, then
> the
> > > flickering problem would be solved.
> > >
> > > It tells me "out of range"...so I guess the monitor cant support more
> than
> > > 75 hertz, but its a $900 monitor and I think it shouldn't flicker like
> > this.
> > > Can someone please help me?... Its flickering not like LINES flying
over
> > the
> > > screen...its more like...ghosting...it flickers so fast you cant see
it
> > but
> > > it strains your eyes to look at it. Ive tried messing with the drivers
> for
> > my
> > > graphic card (NVIDIA GeforceFX)...but to no avail.
> > >
> > > Im wondering if theres something im missing? Is there a way to
increase
> > the
> > > hertz on your monitor? (it wont let me set it past 75 hertz). I know
> > > resolution shouldn't be the problem. Its at 1024x968 I believe..or
> 1028...
> > >
> > > I like this monitor but its really hurting my eyes. All help is
> > appreciated.
> > >

> > > Thanks
> >
> > The maximum refresh rate that you can ***select*** is determined
> > by your video adapter and its perception of what your monitor can
> > take. I have had PCs whose video adapter "refused" to go beyond
> > 60 Hz, because they "thought" that the monitor could not take it.
> > In some cases I resolved the problem by telling Windows that I had
> > a different monitor from the one I really had. In other cases I
> > temporarily plugged in a different monitor until I had selected the
> > desired refresh rate. In some cases I used a different video adapter.

TRENDING THREADS