Having changed my motherboard and processor, I am now
unable to boot into Windows XP. All hardware is
recognised by BIOS but Mesh recovery disc crashes out
half way through installation. Is there a solution or
will I have to go back to the old hardware to get a
working PC

peter

Hi,

Sorry, you need an XP CD, boot from it and then perform a repair
installation of XP.
Recovery CD can't work unless the mobo, chipsets and CPU are identical to
the old ones.

Peter

"Item" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Having changed my motherboard and processor, I am now
> unable to boot into Windows XP. All hardware is
> recognised by BIOS but Mesh recovery disc crashes out
> half way through installation. Is there a solution or
> will I have to go back to the old hardware to get a
> working PC

If you have a full (or upgrade) WinXP CD, a repair
installation will usually fix this. If all you have is a
"recovery disk" however, then you need to talk to the people
who supplied you with that disk.

A recovery disk is exactly what it says it is: a disk that
recovers (restores) a system to a pre-determined condition.
Since you've changed the mobo and processor, the disk can't
recover the system to that condition because something
fundamental has been changed. In a situation like this, the
recovery disk would only have a chance of working if the new
mobo and processor were identical to the old ones.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

After motherboard replacement, a Repair Installation is often required
to properly detect the new hardware:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Item wrote:
> Having changed my motherboard and processor, I am now
> unable to boot into Windows XP. All hardware is
> recognised by BIOS but Mesh recovery disc crashes out
> half way through installation. Is there a solution or
> will I have to go back to the old hardware to get a
> working PC

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
more stable than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: