Alan

I am running a 1.8mhz athlon with a new 80gb hard drive
with windows 98se. Up until recently I was running the
same system with XP. I had the need to install the latest
driver for my hercules 64mb tv out graphics card and
direct x 9 to play Tiger Woods PGA 2003. Thats when my
problems started. The game kept crashing during game play
and then the PC started to crash and got gradually worse
until the pc would not get past the start up screen. To
cut a long story short I installed a new power unit and
new hard drive and tried to install XP from scratch. It
would get so far and then blue screen to save damage to
the pc and inform me to remove any new hardware fitted. I
tried again but with the same result. I then changed the
graphics card to a msi mx440 64mb tv out. I then installed
windows 98se with no problems and suspected that the
problem had been the graphics card. I then installed Tiger
Woods pga again which installs direct x 9 and tells you
too get the latest drivers for the graphics card, which I
did. Thats when the problems started again. Exactly the
same as before. Cinsidering I have fitted a new hard drive
and power unit and changed the graphics card, could it
possibly be the motherboard. PLEASE HELP.

Use old drivers
You can't use windows longhorn with direct x 9.0c detonator 66 and hope a
geforce mx 440 use them properly.

Try to use an adeguate driver for any component, if is whql is better

"Alan" <alan.nuttall@bt.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> I am running a 1.8mhz athlon with a new 80gb hard drive
> with windows 98se. Up until recently I was running the
> same system with XP. I had the need to install the latest
> driver for my hercules 64mb tv out graphics card and
> direct x 9 to play Tiger Woods PGA 2003. Thats when my
> problems started. The game kept crashing during game play
> and then the PC started to crash and got gradually worse
> until the pc would not get past the start up screen. To
> cut a long story short I installed a new power unit and
> new hard drive and tried to install XP from scratch. It
> would get so far and then blue screen to save damage to
> the pc and inform me to remove any new hardware fitted. I
> tried again but with the same result. I then changed the
> graphics card to a msi mx440 64mb tv out. I then installed
> windows 98se with no problems and suspected that the
> problem had been the graphics card. I then installed Tiger
> Woods pga again which installs direct x 9 and tells you
> too get the latest drivers for the graphics card, which I
> did. Thats when the problems started again. Exactly the
> same as before. Cinsidering I have fitted a new hard drive
> and power unit and changed the graphics card, could it
> possibly be the motherboard. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand please can
you explain in laymans terms.
Thanks again.

I wouldn't listen to whatever he just said as it made no sense. You can
use DirectX 9.0c with the latest nVidia ForceWare drivers and a GeForce
4 MX 440 in Windows Longhorn, but we aren't dealing with Windows
Longhorn, we are dealing with Windows 98 SE.

I would recommend doing a clean install of Windows XP now that you have
upgraded everything. The method I suggest would be this:

Backup all of your data, boot off the Windows XP CD, delete the
partition, create a new partition, format the drive NTFS (Quick), then
install Windows. From there, update to Service Pack 2 which includes
DirectX 9.0c. Then install the nVidia ForceWare drivers and go from there.

----
Nathan McNulty