dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Here is the set up:
Case: Powermax YT-040267-85 0327-4 PL 400 watt
Memory: Samsung 256mb PC2700 CL2.5
Processor AMD XP2000+
Board K7S5A Pro
Liteon 48x24x48 CDRW

I have tried three hard drives and Windows 98SE and Windows XP
Professional. Every time Windows starts the install program,
the PC locks up. I can run scan disc, format, and other disk
diagnostic programs but Windows install locks up every time.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Dennis <den942@bright.net> schrieb in news:E82dnYj87sv2nALdRVn-
gQ@bright.net:

> Here is the set up:
> Case: Powermax YT-040267-85 0327-4 PL 400 watt
> Memory: Samsung 256mb PC2700 CL2.5
> Processor AMD XP2000+
> Board K7S5A Pro
> Liteon 48x24x48 CDRW
>
> I have tried three hard drives and Windows 98SE and Windows XP
> Professional. Every time Windows starts the install program,
> the PC locks up. I can run scan disc, format, and other disk
> diagnostic programs but Windows install locks up every time.
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Hi :eek:)

Did you activated the partition where you want to install Windows?

Regards

Mmichael

what type of video card? seems like a funny question i know but i had a
similar problem with an agp slot video card. win xp would lock up and reboot
during install. i took the agp video card out and put in a pci and
everything went fine, was able to install updated drivers for the other card
and get the system running rock solid!

jay cee

"Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
> Here is the set up:
> Case: Powermax YT-040267-85 0327-4 PL 400 watt
> Memory: Samsung 256mb PC2700 CL2.5
> Processor AMD XP2000+
> Board K7S5A Pro
> Liteon 48x24x48 CDRW
>
> I have tried three hard drives and Windows 98SE and Windows XP
> Professional. Every time Windows starts the install program,
> the PC locks up. I can run scan disc, format, and other disk
> diagnostic programs but Windows install locks up every time.
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Video card, the only card in it right now, is an S3 Savage 2000.
The processor came from my pc and the mainboard was used by my
son for a few months with no problems. I have used the Savage
2000 with an identical set up in my pc previously with no
problems.

Jay Cee wrote:

> what type of video card? seems like a funny question i know but i had a
> similar problem with an agp slot video card. win xp would lock up and reboot
> during install. i took the agp video card out and put in a pci and
> everything went fine, was able to install updated drivers for the other card
> and get the system running rock solid!
>
> jay cee

Partition is active and formatted.

Michael Mantz wrote:

> Dennis <den942@bright.net> schrieb in news:E82dnYj87sv2nALdRVn-
> gQ@bright.net:
>

>>Here is the set up:
>>Case: Powermax YT-040267-85 0327-4 PL 400 watt
>>Memory: Samsung 256mb PC2700 CL2.5
>>Processor AMD XP2000+
>>Board K7S5A Pro
>>Liteon 48x24x48 CDRW
>>
>>I have tried three hard drives and Windows 98SE and Windows XP
>>Professional. Every time Windows starts the install program,
>>the PC locks up. I can run scan disc, format, and other disk
>>diagnostic programs but Windows install locks up every time.
>>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
>>

> Hi :eek:)
>
> Did you activated the partition where you want to install Windows?
>
> Regards
>
> Mmichael

Unplug the machine and clear the BIOS with the jumpers.
Maybe try flashing the BIOS.
No other ideas at this time.

"Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
> Here is the set up:
> Case: Powermax YT-040267-85 0327-4 PL 400 watt
> Memory: Samsung 256mb PC2700 CL2.5
> Processor AMD XP2000+
> Board K7S5A Pro
> Liteon 48x24x48 CDRW
>
> I have tried three hard drives and Windows 98SE and Windows XP
> Professional. Every time Windows starts the install program,
> the PC locks up. I can run scan disc, format, and other disk
> diagnostic programs but Windows install locks up every time.
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I cleared the CMOS this morning and set the defaults at minimum. It
shows 256mb memmory but a 1256mb processor instead of a 2000+. I
think it is 100/100 in the CPU plug n Play instead of the 133/133
it should be to show it as an AMD XP 2000+. I loaded Windows set
this way and everything works. It just has the processor underclocked.
I haven't tries setting it back to 133/133 like it should be, yet.

Buffalo wrote:

> Unplug the machine and clear the BIOS with the jumpers.
> Maybe try flashing the BIOS.
> No other ideas at this time.
>

> "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
>
>>Here is the set up:
>>Case: Powermax YT-040267-85 0327-4 PL 400 watt
>>Memory: Samsung 256mb PC2700 CL2.5
>>Processor AMD XP2000+
>>Board K7S5A Pro
>>Liteon 48x24x48 CDRW
>>
>>I have tried three hard drives and Windows 98SE and Windows XP
>>Professional. Every time Windows starts the install program,
>>the PC locks up. I can run scan disc, format, and other disk
>>diagnostic programs but Windows install locks up every time.
>>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Perhaps try putting your memory stick in the other slot and then set the bus
to 133/133.

> I cleared the CMOS this morning and set the defaults at minimum. It
> shows 256mb memmory but a 1256mb processor instead of a 2000+. I
> think it is 100/100 in the CPU plug n Play instead of the 133/133
> it should be to show it as an AMD XP 2000+. I loaded Windows set
> this way and everything works. It just has the processor underclocked.
> I haven't tries setting it back to 133/133 like it should be, yet.
>
> Buffalo wrote:
>
> > Unplug the machine and clear the BIOS with the jumpers.
> > Maybe try flashing the BIOS.
> > No other ideas at this time.
> >

> > "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Here is the set up:
> >>Case: Powermax YT-040267-85 0327-4 PL 400 watt
> >>Memory: Samsung 256mb PC2700 CL2.5
> >>Processor AMD XP2000+
> >>Board K7S5A Pro
> >>Liteon 48x24x48 CDRW
> >>
> >>I have tried three hard drives and Windows 98SE and Windows XP
> >>Professional. Every time Windows starts the install program,
> >>the PC locks up. I can run scan disc, format, and other disk
> >>diagnostic programs but Windows install locks up every time.
> >>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Buffalo wrote:
> Perhaps try putting your memory stick in the other slot and then set the bus
> to 133/133.
>
> "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
>
>>I cleared the CMOS this morning and set the defaults at minimum. It
>>shows 256mb memmory but a 1256mb processor instead of a 2000+. I
>>think it is 100/100 in the CPU plug n Play instead of the 133/133
>>it should be to show it as an AMD XP 2000+. I loaded Windows set
>>this way and everything works. It just has the processor underclocked.
>>I haven't tries setting it back to 133/133 like it should be, yet.
>>
>>Buffalo wrote:
>>

>>>Unplug the machine and clear the BIOS with the jumpers.
>>>Maybe try flashing the BIOS.
>>>No other ideas at this time.
>>>

>>>"Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message

>>>HI,
According to the ECS wed site, they dont support any S3 video card, i
have one before and have the same problem and thats when i found out. I
switch oveer to nvdia 440 and works good. I hope this is helpfull.

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I've tried both slots. It should work at 133/133 but it will not. It
will run at 100/100 but the processor speed is only 1247mhz with those
settings.

Bernie wrote:

> Buffalo wrote:
>
>> Perhaps try putting your memory stick in the other slot and then set
>> the bus
>> to 133/133.
>>
>> "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> I cleared the CMOS this morning and set the defaults at minimum. It
>>> shows 256mb memmory but a 1256mb processor instead of a 2000+. I
>>> think it is 100/100 in the CPU plug n Play instead of the 133/133
>>> it should be to show it as an AMD XP 2000+. I loaded Windows set
>>> this way and everything works. It just has the processor underclocked.
>>> I haven't tries setting it back to 133/133 like it should be, yet.

> According to the ECS wed site, they dont support any S3 video card, i
> have one before and have the same problem and thats when i found out. I
> switch oveer to nvdia 440 and works good. I hope this is helpfull.

I've had this video card in a pc with this same processor and an
identical board in the past with no problems. The main difference
between the two is the memory. One has DIMM 133mhz memory and it
works fine. The other has DDR PC2700 and won't work.

You gotta get another video card like the man said.

I have a pci modem that crashes my K7S5A Pro. Hard to believe but
it is true.

I got another modem and it hasn't even thought about crashing in 6
months.

You just gotta find the right stuff and it will make you happy.

Pj

On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:10:09 -0400, Dennis <den942@bright.net> wrote:

>I've tried both slots. It should work at 133/133 but it will not. It
>will run at 100/100 but the processor speed is only 1247mhz with those
>settings.
>
>Buffalo wrote:
>
>> Perhaps try putting your memory stick in the other slot and then set the bus
>> to 133/133.
>>
>> "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I cleared the CMOS this morning and set the defaults at minimum. It
>>>shows 256mb memmory but a 1256mb processor instead of a 2000+. I
>>>think it is 100/100 in the CPU plug n Play instead of the 133/133
>>>it should be to show it as an AMD XP 2000+. I loaded Windows set
>>>this way and everything works. It just has the processor underclocked.
>>>I haven't tries setting it back to 133/133 like it should be, yet.

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Is this dependent on certain boards? I had the S3 2000 in a pc with
this same processor and an identical board. It worked fine. That
system is dual boot 98se and XP.

PJx wrote:

> You gotta get another video card like the man said.
>
> I have a pci modem that crashes my K7S5A Pro. Hard to believe but
> it is true.
>
> I got another modem and it hasn't even thought about crashing in 6
> months.
>
> You just gotta find the right stuff and it will make you happy.
>

> Pj
>

> On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:10:09 -0400, Dennis <den942@bright.net> wrote:
>

>>I've tried both slots. It should work at 133/133 but it will not. It
>>will run at 100/100 but the processor speed is only 1247mhz with those
>>settings.
>>
>>Buffalo wrote:
>>

>>>Perhaps try putting your memory stick in the other slot and then set the bus
>>>to 133/133.
>>>
>>>"Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message

I guess the next easy things to try are:
1)Set you memory timings slower(ie:Timing Setting Mode - SAFE, etc)
2)Try a stick of SDRam 133MHz by itself (remove the PC-2700 stick)
3)Flash the BIOS to the HoneyX and then set the speed to 138/138.(going from
133/133 to 138/138 has been know to fix some problems)
I use the HX1209 bios.

> I've tried both slots. It should work at 133/133 but it will not. It
> will run at 100/100 but the processor speed is only 1247mhz with those
> settings.
>
> Buffalo wrote:
>
> > Perhaps try putting your memory stick in the other slot and then set the
bus
> > to 133/133.

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I bought some PC2100 266 mhz and put that in after clearing the CMOS.
I set it at 133/133 as it should be. It locked up starting Windows.
It would run st at 100/100 with the PC2100 just like the PC 2700.

Buffalo wrote:

> I guess the next easy things to try are:
> 1)Set you memory timings slower(ie:Timing Setting Mode - SAFE, etc)
> 2)Try a stick of SDRam 133MHz by itself (remove the PC-2700 stick)
> 3)Flash the BIOS to the HoneyX and then set the speed to 138/138.(going from
> 133/133 to 138/138 has been know to fix some problems)
> I use the HX1209 bios.
>
> "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
>
>>I've tried both slots. It should work at 133/133 but it will not. It
>>will run at 100/100 but the processor speed is only 1247mhz with those
>>settings.
>>
>>Buffalo wrote:
>>

>>>Perhaps try putting your memory stick in the other slot and then set the
>
> bus
>
>>>to 133/133.

I don't know if will make a difference, but have you tried removing the
heatsink from the SiS 735 chip, removing the double-stick tape they use, and
re-attaching the heatsink with either double-stick thermal tape or with a
heatsink compound and superglue on the corners.? See

http://radel.inet.net.nz/chipset/

You shouldn't need to use Artic Silver, unless you plan to overclock.
Silicon thermal grease should be ok.

> I bought some PC2100 266 mhz and put that in after clearing the CMOS.
> I set it at 133/133 as it should be. It locked up starting Windows.
> It would run st at 100/100 with the PC2100 just like the PC 2700.
>
> Buffalo wrote:
>
> > I guess the next easy things to try are:
> > 1)Set you memory timings slower(ie:Timing Setting Mode - SAFE, etc)
> > 2)Try a stick of SDRam 133MHz by itself (remove the PC-2700 stick)
> > 3)Flash the BIOS to the HoneyX and then set the speed to 138/138.(going
from
> > 133/133 to 138/138 has been know to fix some problems)
> > I use the HX1209 bios.
> >
> > "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>I've tried both slots. It should work at 133/133 but it will not. It
> >>will run at 100/100 but the processor speed is only 1247mhz with those
> >>settings.

> > bus

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

What bothers me most is that the board has been used with PC2700
memory and a AMD XP 2400+ cpu and the AMD XP 2000+ cpu was used
on an identical board with DIMM PC133 memory and both set ups
worked just fine. Now that the two are combined, it won't run.
Today I tried DIMM PC133 after clearing the CMOS. I got the
same results, it won't run unless underclocked.

edelbeb wrote:

> I don't know if will make a difference, but have you tried removing the
> heatsink from the SiS 735 chip, removing the double-stick tape they use, and
> re-attaching the heatsink with either double-stick thermal tape or with a
> heatsink compound and superglue on the corners.? See
>
> http://radel.inet.net.nz/chipset/
>
> You shouldn't need to use Artic Silver, unless you plan to overclock.
> Silicon thermal grease should be ok.
>
> "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
>
>>I bought some PC2100 266 mhz and put that in after clearing the CMOS.
>>I set it at 133/133 as it should be. It locked up starting Windows.
>>It would run st at 100/100 with the PC2100 just like the PC 2700.
>>
>>Buffalo wrote:
>>

>>>I guess the next easy things to try are:
>>>1)Set you memory timings slower(ie:Timing Setting Mode - SAFE, etc)
>>>2)Try a stick of SDRam 133MHz by itself (remove the PC-2700 stick)
>>>3)Flash the BIOS to the HoneyX and then set the speed to 138/138.(going
>
> from
>
>>>133/133 to 138/138 has been know to fix some problems)
>>>I use the HX1209 bios.
>>>
>>>"Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message

> the
>
>>>bus

See if the board runs in async mode, i.e., 133 mem, 100 processor. If it
does, then the problem may be with the CPU and/or CPU HSF or the thermal
interface between them.

Dennis wrote:
> What bothers me most is that the board has been used with PC2700
> memory and a AMD XP 2400+ cpu and the AMD XP 2000+ cpu was used
> on an identical board with DIMM PC133 memory and both set ups
> worked just fine. Now that the two are combined, it won't run.
> Today I tried DIMM PC133 after clearing the CMOS. I got the
> same results, it won't run unless underclocked.

The problem you are having is commonly associated with an inadequate PSU.
The K7S5A is very fussy in this respect. I have K7S5A builds that will not
run with top quality Antec PSUs, but equally I have one running just fine
@133/133 with a generic 200w PSU! Try a different PSU, my recommendation is
for a QTEC 550w Gold unit which is relatively inexpensive.

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Mr. Slow wrote:
> Dennis wrote:
>
>>What bothers me most is that the board has been used with PC2700
>>memory and a AMD XP 2400+ cpu and the AMD XP 2000+ cpu was used
>>on an identical board with DIMM PC133 memory and both set ups
>>worked just fine. Now that the two are combined, it won't run.
>>Today I tried DIMM PC133 after clearing the CMOS. I got the
>>same results, it won't run unless underclocked.
>>

> The problem you are having is commonly associated with an inadequate PSU.
> The K7S5A is very fussy in this respect. I have K7S5A builds that will not
> run with top quality Antec PSUs, but equally I have one running just fine
> @133/133 with a generic 200w PSU! Try a different PSU, my recommendation is
> for a QTEC 550w Gold unit which is relatively inexpensive.

The power supply is 400 watt and all the voltages according to CMOS are:
Vcore = 1.744V
Vcc2.5V = 2.496V
Vcc3.3V = 3.376V
Vcc5V = 5.053V
12v = 13.240
SB3V = 3.456
SB5V = 5.080

This video card was used with this CPU and identical Board.

Dennis wrote:
> Mr. Slow wrote:
>> Dennis wrote:
>>
>>> What bothers me most is that the board has been used with PC2700
>>> memory and a AMD XP 2400+ cpu and the AMD XP 2000+ cpu was used
>>> on an identical board with DIMM PC133 memory and both set ups
>>> worked just fine. Now that the two are combined, it won't run.
>>> Today I tried DIMM PC133 after clearing the CMOS. I got the
>>> same results, it won't run unless underclocked.
>>>

>> The problem you are having is commonly associated with an inadequate
>> PSU. The K7S5A is very fussy in this respect. I have K7S5A builds
>> that will not run with top quality Antec PSUs, but equally I have
>> one running just fine @133/133 with a generic 200w PSU! Try a
>> different PSU, my recommendation is for a QTEC 550w Gold unit which
>> is relatively inexpensive.
>
> The power supply is 400 watt and all the voltages according to CMOS
> are: Vcore = 1.744V
> Vcc2.5V = 2.496V
> Vcc3.3V = 3.376V
> Vcc5V = 5.053V
> 12v = 13.240
> SB3V = 3.456
> SB5V = 5.080
>
> This video card was used with this CPU and identical Board.

This means nothing. You must measure with a multimeter. A 400w PSU means
nothing without amperages on individual rails. I repeat, try another PSU.

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Mr. Slow wrote:
> Dennis wrote:
>
>>What bothers me most is that the board has been used with PC2700
>>memory and a AMD XP 2400+ cpu and the AMD XP 2000+ cpu was used
>>on an identical board with DIMM PC133 memory and both set ups
>>worked just fine. Now that the two are combined, it won't run.
>>Today I tried DIMM PC133 after clearing the CMOS. I got the
>>same results, it won't run unless underclocked.
>>

> The problem you are having is commonly associated with an inadequate PSU.
> The K7S5A is very fussy in this respect. I have K7S5A builds that will not
> run with top quality Antec PSUs, but equally I have one running just fine
> @133/133 with a generic 200w PSU! Try a different PSU, my recommendation is
> for a QTEC 550w Gold unit which is relatively inexpensive.

I changed the video card from S3 2000 to an ATI radon. That did not
help. I tried a different power supply. The first attemp did nothing.
I changed the settings to 100/133 and it booted up and ran. I tried
133/133 and it booted up. I ran scan disk with no problem, It rebooted
and worked correctly. I tried running defrag and it locked up. It never
did boot up and run again at 133/133...

> Mr. Slow wrote:
> > Dennis wrote:
> >
> >>What bothers me most is that the board has been used with PC2700
> >>memory and a AMD XP 2400+ cpu and the AMD XP 2000+ cpu was used
> >>on an identical board with DIMM PC133 memory and both set ups
> >>worked just fine. Now that the two are combined, it won't run.
> >>Today I tried DIMM PC133 after clearing the CMOS. I got the
> >>same results, it won't run unless underclocked.
> >>

> > The problem you are having is commonly associated with an inadequate
PSU.
> > The K7S5A is very fussy in this respect. I have K7S5A builds that will
not
> > run with top quality Antec PSUs, but equally I have one running just
fine
> > @133/133 with a generic 200w PSU! Try a different PSU, my recommendation
is
> > for a QTEC 550w Gold unit which is relatively inexpensive.
>
> I changed the video card from S3 2000 to an ATI radon. That did not
> help. I tried a different power supply. The first attemp did nothing.
> I changed the settings to 100/133 and it booted up and ran. I tried
> 133/133 and it booted up. I ran scan disk with no problem, It rebooted
> and worked correctly. I tried running defrag and it locked up. It never
> did boot up and run again at 133/133...

What was the "different PSU" you used. And its specifications?

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Mr. Slow wrote:

> "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
>

>>Mr. Slow wrote:

>>>The problem you are having is commonly associated with an inadequate
>
> PSU.
>
>>>The K7S5A is very fussy in this respect. I have K7S5A builds that will
>
> not
>
>>>run with top quality Antec PSUs, but equally I have one running just
>
> fine
>
>>>@133/133 with a generic 200w PSU! Try a different PSU, my recommendation
>
> is
>
>>>for a QTEC 550w Gold unit which is relatively inexpensive.
>>
>>I changed the video card from S3 2000 to an ATI radon. That did not
>>help. I tried a different power supply. The first attemp did nothing.
>>I changed the settings to 100/133 and it booted up and ran. I tried
>>133/133 and it booted up. I ran scan disk with no problem, It rebooted
>>and worked correctly. I tried running defrag and it locked up. It never
>>did boot up and run again at 133/133...
>

> What was the "different PSU" you used. And its specifications?

The test PSU is a Deer Model DR-A300ATX 0.5a-20a @3.3V, 2.5a-30a @ 5v.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:15:33 -0400 As another one bit the dust
"edelbeb" <edelbeb@hotmail.com> wrote :

>See if the board runs in async mode, i.e., 133 mem, 100 processor. If it
>does, then the problem may be with the CPU and/or CPU HSF or the thermal
>interface between them.
>
>"Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
>> What bothers me most is that the board has been used with PC2700
>> memory and a AMD XP 2400+ cpu and the AMD XP 2000+ cpu was used
>> on an identical board with DIMM PC133 memory and both set ups
>> worked just fine. Now that the two are combined, it won't run.
>> Today I tried DIMM PC133 after clearing the CMOS. I got the
>> same results, it won't run unless underclocked.

To O/P
Do a FailSafe partition and re-format.

Remove Partitions.
Shutdown and power off
re-boot
Make partition/s
Shutdown/Power off
re-boot
Shutdown and power off.
Re-format.
Make sure no boot block anti-virus options are enabled.
Clean Install CD with warm soapy water and then rinse with cold clean
water and dry off with lint free tissue.
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de