K7S5A PRo USB problems

I have a new K7S5A PRO rev 5.0 with an AMD xp2200 processor and 512 megs
of PC-133 sdram, fresh
install of Win98se, but the USB ports won't function. Drivers installed
properly according to Device
Manager and the SIS and VIA controllers show up also. (Why both SIS and
VIa?) But a USB scanner
and optical mouse are not detected when plugged in. Anyone have any
experience with this problem?
Software for the scanner installed correctly as per instructions. Is the
board faulty? Should I try installing
XP on top of Win98? What am I doing wrong? Both the scanner and mouse
worked with the previous
smaller hard drive in Win98. TIA, Ray

On Fri, 14 May 2004 04:07:28 GMT As another one bit the dust Ray Freed
<indigokona@hawaii.rr.com> wrote :

>I have a new K7S5A PRO rev 5.0 with an AMD xp2200 processor and 512 megs
>of PC-133 sdram, fresh
>install of Win98se, but the USB ports won't function. Drivers installed
>properly according to Device
>Manager and the SIS and VIA controllers show up also. (Why both SIS and
>VIa?) But a USB scanner
>and optical mouse are not detected when plugged in. Anyone have any
>experience with this problem?
>Software for the scanner installed correctly as per instructions. Is the
>board faulty? Should I try installing
>XP on top of Win98? What am I doing wrong? Both the scanner and mouse
>worked with the previous
>smaller hard drive in Win98. TIA, Ray

IIRC the Pro does not use VIA drivers so they should be fully removed
as per,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Shep© <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<c54ca01j10vka0ua622mp7ccnhmb36ftv9@4ax.com>...

> On Fri, 14 May 2004 04:07:28 GMT <indigokona@hawaii.rr.com> wrote :

> >I have a new K7S5A PRO rev 5.0
> >install of Win98se, but the USB ports won't function.
> >Drivers installed properly according to Device Manager
> >and the SIS and VIA controllers show up also. (Why both
> >SIS and VIa?)

> IIRC the Pro does not use VIA drivers so they should be fully
> removed as per, http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html

I have the same mobo, and it definitely needs the VIA USB drivers to
be installed for the USB 2.0 ports, which I believe are the ones at
the rear, to work. The other three pairs of USB ports, attached to
the header pins near the bottom edge of the mobo, use the SiS drivers.
In fact my Device Manager looks like this:

+Ports (COM & LPT)
+Sound, video and game controllers
+System devices
-Universal Serial Bus Controllers
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB 2.0 Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

martin

"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 May 2004 04:07:28 GMT As another one bit the dust Ray Freed
> <indigokona@hawaii.rr.com> wrote :
>
> >I have a new K7S5A PRO rev 5.0 with an AMD xp2200 processor and 512 megs
> >of PC-133 sdram, fresh
> >install of Win98se, but the USB ports won't function. Drivers installed
> >properly according to Device
> >Manager and the SIS and VIA controllers show up also. (Why both SIS and
> >VIa?) But a USB scanner
> >and optical mouse are not detected when plugged in. Anyone have any
> >experience with this problem?
> >Software for the scanner installed correctly as per instructions. Is the
> >board faulty? Should I try installing
> >XP on top of Win98? What am I doing wrong? Both the scanner and mouse
> >worked with the previous
> >smaller hard drive in Win98. TIA, Ray
>
> IIRC the Pro does not use VIA drivers so they should be fully removed
> as per,
> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
>
> HTH :)

Just to join in this thread...

I have a K7S5A Pro and am currently suffering endless BSOD error's upon
boot-up, but only when i have my ADSL USB modem connected.

First attempts to fix the problem - clean installs of XP (many), using a
powered USB hub, and of course the various chipset driver updates etc.
All attempts to fix the problem failed - my pc crashes with a BSOD upon
re-boot say 3 times out of 5.

Though once up and running it's a stable machine.
This pc has run stable for the past five months but for the last 3 weeks
it's been an a#se!

My Device Manager reports 5 USB Root Hubs - how can that be correct?
I've booted to safe mode and removed all USB instances as per www.usbman.com
then rebooted and Windows just re-installs as it was before.

I have today requested some support from Zoom.com - the makers of my modem
and am awaiting some useful response.

Now this thread indicates that the VIA drivers are not required - is that
because they relate to the motherboard's additional two USB1 connectors?
And that the SiS drivers are responsible for the motherboard rear panel USB2
sockets?

My PSU is next culprit for the crashes - it's a generic 300W PSU that's had
a lot of 24/7 use since i bought it over three years ago.
I can get a 400W replacement, but after spending £17 on a powered USB hub
that didn't fix the problem, i'm reluctant to spend more £££s if it doesn't
solve the problem.
(I'm hoping to ditch this pc and get something much more up-to-date in the
Autumn so i don't want to waste cash now).

Some pc specs:

K7S5A Pro with Duron 1.3GHz and 2 x 256MB PC133 RAM.
Radeon 7000 dual VGA video card.
160GB and 40GB Seagate Barracuda drives.
LG 4081B DVD-RW and a LG DVD-ROM.
Soundblaster Live 5.1 sound card.
WinTV PCI card.
USB optical mouse and Zoom 5510 ADSL USB modem both running from a powered
USB hub.

All crashing under Windows XP Pro!

Hoping for some constructive comments...

Martin.

"Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> writes:
>I have a K7S5A Pro and am currently suffering endless BSOD error's upon
>boot-up, but only when i have my ADSL USB modem connected.

>First attempts to fix the problem - clean installs of XP (many), using a
>powered USB hub, and of course the various chipset driver updates etc.
>All attempts to fix the problem failed - my pc crashes with a BSOD upon
>re-boot say 3 times out of 5.

>Though once up and running it's a stable machine.
>This pc has run stable for the past five months but for the last 3 weeks
>it's been an a#se!
>My PSU is next culprit for the crashes - it's a generic 300W PSU that's had
>a lot of 24/7 use since i bought it over three years ago.
>All crashing under Windows XP Pro!

>Hoping for some constructive comments...

If you don't have the USB connected and the machine runs just fine
every time THEN I'd tend to not think it was your power supply.
USB or no USB doesn't seem like it should make any difference to
your supply.

Next thing I might try, since you say the problem seems to only
be present when you boot your machine with your USB modem attached
is to unplug the modem, boot the machine, and once it is stable
THEN plug in the modem. Windows wll likely see the new hardware,
be temporarily stunned by this, but then decide it can handle a modem.
Does this still crash things?

Next thing I might try, since you say you have some powered USB
hub and you see device driver problems related to USB hubs is
to unplug the hub, plug in the bare USB modem or not, and try to
boot the machine. Can you thus narrow the problem down to the hub
that you are using?

Did you happen to make USB changes, particularly hub changes at
about the time all these problems appeared? If so that seems like
a clue to me.

All this is just trying to divide and conquer the problem, unplug
what seems like is related to the problem, get rid of the unused
drivers, and see if the system is stable. Maybe in the fall you
can use USB hubs and such. Till then you could have a stable box.

"Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote in message news:<2gn04uF4aal5U1@uni-berlin.de>...

> Now this thread indicates that the VIA drivers are not
> required - is that because they relate to the motherboard's
> additional two USB1 connectors? And that the SiS drivers
> are responsible for the motherboard rear panel USB2 sockets?

That's wrong because this mobo uses SiS hardware for the USB 1.1 and a
VIA chip (VT6202, oblong, located near the bottom between some PCI
slot connectors and the rear of the mobo), and the manual says, under
"Features," in the section "Onboard I/O Ports", page 3:

"Ten USB ports (four back-panel USB2.0 ports, onboard USB heaaders
providing six extra USB1.1 ports)"

> My PSU is next culprit for the crashes - it's a generic
> 300W PSU that's had a lot of 24/7 use since i bought it
> over three years ago. I can get a 400W replacement, but
> after spending £17 on a powered USB hub that didn't fix
> the problem, i'm reluctant to spend more £££s if it
> doesn't solve the problem.

> K7S5A Pro with Duron 1.3GHz and 2 x 256MB PC133 RAM.
> Radeon 7000 dual VGA video card.
> 160GB and 40GB Seagate Barracuda drives.
> LG 4081B DVD-RW and a LG DVD-ROM.

Does it run more reliably with one of the HDs and one of the DVD
drives disconnected? I think that unless your PSU is defective or
really, really bad, like this 300W:

www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/insidestory/insidestory.htm

The 250W version couldn't run my K7S5A and 1.3 GHz Duron barebones for
more than 30 seconds at a time, although it was able to run a P4S5A
(also uses only +5V for CPU power) system with low-power graphics card
(Intel 740i), 1.7 GHz Celeron, a 5400 RPM HD, and CD-ROM. One person
measured the power input to his K7S5A or K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP1800+,
two CD drives, and five HDs and found it to be never exceed 160W,
meaning that the PSU was probably putting out just 120W.

If you want a really good PSU for a low price, look for something with
a model number that starts with "FSP", which indicates that it's made
by Fortron-Source Power. Some brands are Fortron, Sparkle, Hi-Q,
PowerQ, Powerman, Powertech (not Powertek, which could be misspelled),
Aopen, and Trend, but some of their model numbers start with "ATX".
Also really good are some wierd brands, like NMB, Mineba, Lite-on,
Newton, and Zippy-Emacs, which are sold mostly to OEMs.

Martin wrote:
> [...]
> that's had a lot of 24/7 use since i bought it over three years ago.
> I can get a 400W replacement, but after spending £17 on a powered USB
> hub that didn't fix the problem, i'm reluctant to spend more £££s if
> it doesn't solve the problem.
> (I'm hoping to ditch this pc and get something much more up-to-date
> in the Autumn so i don't want to waste cash now).
>
> Some pc specs:
>
> K7S5A Pro with Duron 1.3GHz and 2 x 256MB PC133 RAM.
> Radeon 7000 dual VGA video card.
> 160GB and 40GB Seagate Barracuda drives.
> LG 4081B DVD-RW and a LG DVD-ROM.
> Soundblaster Live 5.1 sound card.
> WinTV PCI card.
> USB optical mouse and Zoom 5510 ADSL USB modem both running from a
> powered USB hub.
>
> All crashing under Windows XP Pro!
>
> Hoping for some constructive comments...

The via divers are for the enhanced usb ports on the back of the mobo (usb2)
the sis drivers are for the usb headers on the mobo.

both sets of drivers are on the mobo cdrom or the via ones are on the via
website http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=298 this is only for me down.

--
Tapioca

If you have nothing to do then do nothing and enjoy it!

--

"larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> "Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote in message
>

> "Ten USB ports (four back-panel USB2.0 ports, onboard USB heaaders
> providing six extra USB1.1 ports)"

That makes sense - i thought the K7S5A Pro only had two USB1.1 ports with
the motherboard headers.
So 4 x USB2.0 plus 6 x USB1.1 = 10 USB ports in total.
And i read that a USB Root Hub entry in Device Manager represents two USB
ports - so the five USB Root Hubs in my Device Manager seems OK.

> > My PSU is next culprit for the crashes - it's a generic
> > 300W PSU that's had a lot of 24/7 use since i bought it
> > over three years ago. I can get a 400W replacement, but
> > after spending £17 on a powered USB hub that didn't fix
> > the problem, i'm reluctant to spend more £££s if it
> > doesn't solve the problem.
>
> > K7S5A Pro with Duron 1.3GHz and 2 x 256MB PC133 RAM.
> > Radeon 7000 dual VGA video card.
> > 160GB and 40GB Seagate Barracuda drives.
> > LG 4081B DVD-RW and a LG DVD-ROM.
>
> Does it run more reliably with one of the HDs and one of the DVD
> drives disconnected? I think that unless your PSU is defective or
> really, really bad, like this 300W:

www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/insidestory/insidestory.ht

> The 250W version couldn't run my K7S5A and 1.3 GHz Duron barebones for
> more than 30 seconds at a time, although it was able to run a P4S5A
> (also uses only +5V for CPU power) system with low-power graphics card
> (Intel 740i), 1.7 GHz Celeron, a 5400 RPM HD, and CD-ROM. One person
> measured the power input to his K7S5A or K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP1800+,
> two CD drives, and five HDs and found it to be never exceed 160W,
> meaning that the PSU was probably putting out just 120W.
>
> If you want a really good PSU for a low price, look for something with
> a model number that starts with "FSP", which indicates that it's made
> by Fortron-Source Power. Some brands are Fortron, Sparkle, Hi-Q,
> PowerQ, Powerman, Powertech (not Powertek, which could be misspelled),
> Aopen, and Trend, but some of their model numbers start with "ATX".
> Also really good are some wierd brands, like NMB, Mineba, Lite-on,
> Newton, and Zippy-Emacs, which are sold mostly to OEMs.

I'll try disabling both my optical drives next then.
It seems possible that the PSU can't supply the required power surge at
boot-up.

Will post again with results.

Thanks for your time.

Martin.

martin

"Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message
> "Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> writes:
> >I have a K7S5A Pro and am currently suffering endless BSOD error's upon
> >boot-up, but only when i have my ADSL USB modem connected.
>
> >First attempts to fix the problem - clean installs of XP (many), using a
> >powered USB hub, and of course the various chipset driver updates etc.
> >All attempts to fix the problem failed - my pc crashes with a BSOD upon
> >re-boot say 3 times out of 5.
>
> >Though once up and running it's a stable machine.
> >This pc has run stable for the past five months but for the last 3 weeks
> >it's been an a#se!
> >My PSU is next culprit for the crashes - it's a generic 300W PSU that's
had
> >a lot of 24/7 use since i bought it over three years ago.
> >All crashing under Windows XP Pro!
>
> >Hoping for some constructive comments...
>
> If you don't have the USB connected and the machine runs just fine
> every time THEN I'd tend to not think it was your power supply.
> USB or no USB doesn't seem like it should make any difference to
> your supply.
>
> Next thing I might try, since you say the problem seems to only
> be present when you boot your machine with your USB modem attached
> is to unplug the modem, boot the machine, and once it is stable
> THEN plug in the modem. Windows wll likely see the new hardware,
> be temporarily stunned by this, but then decide it can handle a modem.
> Does this still crash things?
>
> Next thing I might try, since you say you have some powered USB
> hub and you see device driver problems related to USB hubs is
> to unplug the hub, plug in the bare USB modem or not, and try to
> boot the machine. Can you thus narrow the problem down to the hub
> that you are using?
>
> Did you happen to make USB changes, particularly hub changes at
> about the time all these problems appeared? If so that seems like
> a clue to me.
>
> All this is just trying to divide and conquer the problem, unplug
> what seems like is related to the problem, get rid of the unused
> drivers, and see if the system is stable. Maybe in the fall you
> can use USB hubs and such. Till then you could have a stable box.

The BSOD started about three weeks ago.
At that time i had my USB modem and USB mouse plugged straight into the
K7S5A Pro's USB2.0 ports - i bought the powered USB hub last week hoping it
would fix the problem.
I can boot without the modem connected then once XP is up and running plug
the modem in - but my pc then still crashes say 3 times out of 5.

Martin.

martin

> "larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > "Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote in message
> >

> > "Ten USB ports (four back-panel USB2.0 ports, onboard USB heaaders
> > providing six extra USB1.1 ports)"
> >

> That makes sense - i thought the K7S5A Pro only had two USB1.1 ports with
> the motherboard headers.
> So 4 x USB2.0 plus 6 x USB1.1 = 10 USB ports in total.
> And i read that a USB Root Hub entry in Device Manager represents two USB
> ports - so the five USB Root Hubs in my Device Manager seems OK.
>
> > > My PSU is next culprit for the crashes - it's a generic
> > > 300W PSU that's had a lot of 24/7 use since i bought it
> > > over three years ago. I can get a 400W replacement, but
> > > after spending £17 on a powered USB hub that didn't fix
> > > the problem, i'm reluctant to spend more £££s if it
> > > doesn't solve the problem.
> >
> > > K7S5A Pro with Duron 1.3GHz and 2 x 256MB PC133 RAM.
> > > Radeon 7000 dual VGA video card.
> > > 160GB and 40GB Seagate Barracuda drives.
> > > LG 4081B DVD-RW and a LG DVD-ROM.
> >
> > Does it run more reliably with one of the HDs and one of the DVD
> > drives disconnected? I think that unless your PSU is defective or
> > really, really bad, like this 300W:

www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/insidestory/insidestory.ht

> > The 250W version couldn't run my K7S5A and 1.3 GHz Duron barebones for
> > more than 30 seconds at a time, although it was able to run a P4S5A
> > (also uses only +5V for CPU power) system with low-power graphics card
> > (Intel 740i), 1.7 GHz Celeron, a 5400 RPM HD, and CD-ROM. One person
> > measured the power input to his K7S5A or K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP1800+,
> > two CD drives, and five HDs and found it to be never exceed 160W,
> > meaning that the PSU was probably putting out just 120W.
> >
> > If you want a really good PSU for a low price, look for something with
> > a model number that starts with "FSP", which indicates that it's made
> > by Fortron-Source Power. Some brands are Fortron, Sparkle, Hi-Q,
> > PowerQ, Powerman, Powertech (not Powertek, which could be misspelled),
> > Aopen, and Trend, but some of their model numbers start with "ATX".
> > Also really good are some wierd brands, like NMB, Mineba, Lite-on,
> > Newton, and Zippy-Emacs, which are sold mostly to OEMs.
>
> I'll try disabling both my optical drives next then.
> It seems possible that the PSU can't supply the required power surge at
> boot-up.
>
> Will post again with results.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Martin.

Well after three days of being online i rebooted earlier and got the BSOD
errors repeatedly - that's with my modem connected.
Modem disconnected and my pc reboots perfectly.

I disconnected both my optical drives and tried booting up with the modem
attached - endless BSODs.
(So i reconnected both the optical drives).

Next i disconnected the modem from the phone line but left it connected to
the USB - the pc booted ok.
While still booted i then reconnected the modem to the phone line - a BSOD
followed in less than a couple of minutes.
With the modem disconnected from the phone line i rebooted - all ok.
Left the pc for five minutes and then plugged the modem back into the phone
line and the modem connected and all's ok.

I've dug out the receipt for the modem - it's only five months old - and am
going to return it to PCWorld later hoping for a refund or replacement.

Martin.