k7s5a and athlon xp 2400+

Kostas

Hello!
Can anybody tell me if elite k7s5a (currently running a duron 1200) can
co-operate with a 2400+ athlon xp? (fsb on mb is 266)
With a 2600+ ?

Thanks in advance
Kostas

Kostas wrote:
> Hello!
> Can anybody tell me if elite k7s5a (currently running a duron 1200)
> can co-operate with a 2400+ athlon xp? (fsb on mb is 266)
> With a 2600+ ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Kostas

Yes. With a Palomino or Thorobred 266mhz CPU, not a Barton 333 mhz. You will
need to reset clock speed to 133/133 in the BIOS which may cause instability
problems with RAM or more likely PSU. Unless you enjoy a challenge, leave
the Duron 1200 in there if it is stable and forget upgrading (unless of
course you upgrade the motherboard too).

"Mr. Slow" <millenniumgold@crouchvale.freeserve.invalid> wrote in
message news:c82p5d$g0m$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
| Kostas wrote:
| > Hello!
| > Can anybody tell me if elite k7s5a (currently running a duron
1200)
| > can co-operate with a 2400+ athlon xp? (fsb on mb is 266)
| > With a 2600+ ?
| >
| > Thanks in advance
| > Kostas
|
| Yes. With a Palomino or Thorobred 266mhz CPU, not a Barton 333 mhz.
You will
| need to reset clock speed to 133/133 in the BIOS which may cause
instability
| problems with RAM or more likely PSU. Unless you enjoy a challenge,
leave
| the Duron 1200 in there if it is stable and forget upgrading (unless
of
| course you upgrade the motherboard too).

I disagree, use the xp cpu and enjoy faster computing, it would be
best if you have an XP cpu rated for 266 fsb. Use the latest Honeyx
bios to get SSE support. You can use a Barton core cpu, but it will
be multiplier locked. However, you can also use a mobile barton CPU
and perhaps have unlocked multiplier via software, not certain if this
works with the k7s5a and the SIS chipset though. Anyone tried this
combination?

--
Best regards,
Kyle

flipper

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002

On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:08:57 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Mr. Slow" <millenniumgold@crouchvale.freeserve.invalid> wrote in
>message news:c82p5d$g0m$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
>| Kostas wrote:
>| > Hello!
>| > Can anybody tell me if elite k7s5a (currently running a duron
>1200)
>| > can co-operate with a 2400+ athlon xp? (fsb on mb is 266)
>| > With a 2600+ ?
>| >
>| > Thanks in advance
>| > Kostas
>|
>| Yes. With a Palomino or Thorobred 266mhz CPU, not a Barton 333 mhz.
>You will
>| need to reset clock speed to 133/133 in the BIOS which may cause
>instability
>| problems with RAM or more likely PSU. Unless you enjoy a challenge,
>leave
>| the Duron 1200 in there if it is stable and forget upgrading (unless
>of
>| course you upgrade the motherboard too).
>|

>I disagree, use the xp cpu and enjoy faster computing, it would be
>best if you have an XP cpu rated for 266 fsb. Use the latest Honeyx
>bios to get SSE support. You can use a Barton core cpu, but it will
>be multiplier locked. However, you can also use a mobile barton CPU
>and perhaps have unlocked multiplier via software, not certain if this
>works with the k7s5a and the SIS chipset though. Anyone tried this
>combination?

The K7S5A doesn't have any multiplier setting capability, regardless
of which BIOS is used, and the mobile will power up with a very low
multiplier. Short version is it won't work (well) without manually
doing creative things with the hardware.

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Mr. Slow" <millenniumgold@crouchvale.freeserve.invalid> wrote in
> message news:c82p5d$g0m$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
> | Kostas wrote:
> | > Hello!
> | > Can anybody tell me if elite k7s5a (currently running a duron
> 1200)
> | > can co-operate with a 2400+ athlon xp? (fsb on mb is 266)
> | > With a 2600+ ?
> | >
> | > Thanks in advance
> | > Kostas
> |
> | Yes. With a Palomino or Thorobred 266mhz CPU, not a Barton 333 mhz.
> You will
> | need to reset clock speed to 133/133 in the BIOS which may cause
> instability
> | problems with RAM or more likely PSU. Unless you enjoy a challenge,
> leave
> | the Duron 1200 in there if it is stable and forget upgrading (unless
> of
> | course you upgrade the motherboard too).
> |

> I disagree, use the xp cpu and enjoy faster computing, it would be
> best if you have an XP cpu rated for 266 fsb. Use the latest Honeyx
> bios to get SSE support. You can use a Barton core cpu, but it will
> be multiplier locked. However, you can also use a mobile barton CPU
> and perhaps have unlocked multiplier via software, not certain if this
> works with the k7s5a and the SIS chipset though. Anyone tried this
> combination?
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kyle

Well that's the other view, Kyle. Upgrading to a 266mhz. CPU may well be
painless but in my experience this is less than likely. All I am saying, for
an apparently inexperienced user, is that it would be safer to live with the
Duron 100/100 setup.

"flipper" <flipper@fish.net> wrote in message
| On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:08:57 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
|
| >"Mr. Slow" <millenniumgold@crouchvale.freeserve.invalid> wrote in
| >message news:c82p5d$g0m$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
| >1200)

| >|
| >| Yes. With a Palomino or Thorobred 266mhz CPU, not a Barton 333
mhz.
| >You will
| >| need to reset clock speed to 133/133 in the BIOS which may cause
| >instability
| >| problems with RAM or more likely PSU. Unless you enjoy a
challenge,
| >leave
| >| the Duron 1200 in there if it is stable and forget upgrading
(unless
| >of
| >| course you upgrade the motherboard too).
| >|

| >I disagree, use the xp cpu and enjoy faster computing, it would be
| >best if you have an XP cpu rated for 266 fsb. Use the latest
Honeyx
| >bios to get SSE support. You can use a Barton core cpu, but it
will
| >be multiplier locked. However, you can also use a mobile barton
CPU
| >and perhaps have unlocked multiplier via software, not certain if
this
| >works with the k7s5a and the SIS chipset though. Anyone tried this
| >combination?
|

| The K7S5A doesn't have any multiplier setting capability, regardless
| of which BIOS is used, and the mobile will power up with a very low
| multiplier. Short version is it won't work (well) without manually
| doing creative things with the hardware.

I was quite clear why one should update the BIOS, to get SSE support,
there is no suggestion of any ability to change multipliers in the
BIOS.

There exists a software utility to change multiplier on the fly with
the mobile chip. The bootup may be at a much lower multiplier, but
once the OS is up and running, the software can be used to select
desired multiplier.

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier/AXP_Multiplier.htm
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm

The question is, as always, does the chipset support the
functionality. According to the faq, the mobile chip and software
work with the sis735 chipset.

I suspect a little research may turn up an answer as to whether this
has been done with a k7s5a.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

> "flipper" <flipper@fish.net> wrote in message
> | On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:08:57 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> |
> | >"Mr. Slow" <millenniumgold@crouchvale.freeserve.invalid> wrote in
> | >message news:c82p5d$g0m$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
> | >1200)

> | >|
> mhz.
> | >You will
> | >instability
> challenge,
> | >leave
> (unless
> | >of
> | >|

> | >I disagree, use the xp cpu and enjoy faster computing, it would be
> | >best if you have an XP cpu rated for 266 fsb. Use the latest
> Honeyx
> | >bios to get SSE support. You can use a Barton core cpu, but it
> will
> | >be multiplier locked. However, you can also use a mobile barton
> CPU
> | >and perhaps have unlocked multiplier via software, not certain if
> this
> | >works with the k7s5a and the SIS chipset though. Anyone tried this
> | >combination?
> |

> | The K7S5A doesn't have any multiplier setting capability, regardless
> | of which BIOS is used, and the mobile will power up with a very low
> | multiplier. Short version is it won't work (well) without manually
> | doing creative things with the hardware.
> |

> I was quite clear why one should update the BIOS, to get SSE support,
> there is no suggestion of any ability to change multipliers in the
> BIOS.
>
> There exists a software utility to change multiplier on the fly with
> the mobile chip. The bootup may be at a much lower multiplier, but
> once the OS is up and running, the software can be used to select
> desired multiplier.
>
> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier/AXP_Multiplier.htm
> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm
>
> The question is, as always, does the chipset support the
> functionality. According to the faq, the mobile chip and software
> work with the sis735 chipset.
>
> I suspect a little research may turn up an answer as to whether this
> has been done with a k7s5a.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kyle

Does this work the same as that nifty little program that you wrote some
years back, Kyle? What was the name of it again (I used it for so long, I
don't know how I forgot, K6Speed, or something like that)?

Man I had a lot of fun using that on my old K63 500+ chip, although it was a
bit awkward for the wife. I might consider trying something like that again,
if I knew the author of the program to be thorough. Did you write this one
as well?

"Ralph D." <raldonn2@usaor.net> wrote in message

| "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

<snipped>

| > I was quite clear why one should update the BIOS, to get SSE
support,
| > there is no suggestion of any ability to change multipliers in the
| > BIOS.
| >
| > There exists a software utility to change multiplier on the fly
with
| > the mobile chip. The bootup may be at a much lower multiplier,
but
| > once the OS is up and running, the software can be used to select
| > desired multiplier.
| >
| > http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier/AXP_Multiplier.htm
| > http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm
| >
| > The question is, as always, does the chipset support the
| > functionality. According to the faq, the mobile chip and software
| > work with the sis735 chipset.
| >
| > I suspect a little research may turn up an answer as to whether
this
| > has been done with a k7s5a.
| >
| > --
| > Best regards,
| > Kyle
| >

| Does this work the same as that nifty little program that you wrote
some
| years back, Kyle? What was the name of it again (I used it for so
long, I
| don't know how I forgot, K6Speed, or something like that)?
|
| Man I had a lot of fun using that on my old K63 500+ chip, although
it was a
| bit awkward for the wife. I might consider trying something like
that again,
| if I knew the author of the program to be thorough. Did you write
this one
| as well?

Well, if you look at those web pages I linked to above, you'll quickly
realize it is not me who has written this program. However, the
mechanism/principle is quite similar, tho I've not looked at the data
sheet for the mobile XP CPU to see just how similar the programming
might be. It is the "powernow" feature of the mobile CPU that this
software exploits, software programmable multipliers, the same concept
behind the mobile K6+ software programmable multiplier. Further, from
what I've read, the mobile chips are very good overclocking chips,
since they are sorted to run at lower voltages yet exhibiting good
speed capability. The worst potential problem is the BIOS failing to
identify the CPU and not properly setting things up.

FYI, if you had read the readme file for k6speed, you would have found
out how to setup the multiplier using a startup group shortcut,
completely insulating your wife from knowing it was even there. I
still use k6speed on 2 systems, my file server and a cablemodem
sharing router machine.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Kostas" <freegift@in.gr> wrote in message news:<c82jeo$1rb1$1@ulysses.noc.ntua.gr>...
> Hello!
> Can anybody tell me if elite k7s5a (currently running a duron 1200) can
> co-operate with a 2400+ athlon xp? (fsb on mb is 266)
> With a 2600+ ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Kostas

Both should work fine as long as they are 266 fsb CPU's.
You'll love the jump in performance.
My home K7S5A, set up in Dec.'01 with an XP1700+, has been running a
266 fsb XP 2600+ since late Oct. '03 with no problems.
Before the upgrade I flashed the bios to the Honey X OC 021209b
available here:

http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

Great info and help/support there.
If bios flashing makes you wary, as it did most of us at first,
Good info here:
The unofficial K7S5A motherboard guide

http://tinyurl.com/yww8k

http://p199.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm5.showMessage?topicID=1200.topic

Some would say, why bother upgrading such an old mobo, but for me
getting the longest life with respectable/acceptable performance is
the most desirable goal.

Frank

> "Ralph D." <raldonn2@usaor.net> wrote in message
> |
> | Does this work the same as that nifty little program that you wrote
> some
> | years back, Kyle? What was the name of it again (I used it for so
> long, I
> | don't know how I forgot, K6Speed, or something like that)?
> |
> | Man I had a lot of fun using that on my old K63 500+ chip, although
> it was a
> | bit awkward for the wife. I might consider trying something like
> that again,
> | if I knew the author of the program to be thorough. Did you write
> this one
> | as well?
> |

> Well, if you look at those web pages I linked to above, you'll quickly
> realize it is not me who has written this program. However, the
> mechanism/principle is quite similar, tho I've not looked at the data
> sheet for the mobile XP CPU to see just how similar the programming
> might be. It is the "powernow" feature of the mobile CPU that this
> software exploits, software programmable multipliers, the same concept
> behind the mobile K6+ software programmable multiplier. Further, from
> what I've read, the mobile chips are very good overclocking chips,
> since they are sorted to run at lower voltages yet exhibiting good
> speed capability. The worst potential problem is the BIOS failing to
> identify the CPU and not properly setting things up.
>
> FYI, if you had read the readme file for k6speed, you would have found
> out how to setup the multiplier using a startup group shortcut,
> completely insulating your wife from knowing it was even there. I
> still use k6speed on 2 systems, my file server and a cablemodem
> sharing router machine.
> --
> Best regards,
> Kyle

I guess I could have looked to find out... just thought I'd ask instead...
sorry.

It's been quite a while now, so I do not remember why the consensus in the
FIC group was to boot slow. I used it on two machines, if I remember right,
one for speed and one because it enabled some set of instructions or
something... but I can't say for sure anymore.

Nonetheless... you wrote something that got me significant extra time out of
at least the one, so if you think that this new program is solid I would
feel good about it, as your judgement on this would be from great
experience. I've got a few carcasses laying around, so maybe it's time to
play around with something like this again.

| I guess I could have looked to find out... just thought I'd ask
instead...
| sorry.
|
| It's been quite a while now, so I do not remember why the consensus
in the
| FIC group was to boot slow. I used it on two machines, if I remember
right,
| one for speed and one because it enabled some set of instructions or
| something... but I can't say for sure anymore.

I don't remember either, but my guess is some mystical good fortune
someone had using this technique. As to enabling write allocation
features, the je4333 bios for the 503+ fixed all issues with the k6+
CPUs.

| Nonetheless... you wrote something that got me significant extra
time out of
| at least the one, so if you think that this new program is solid I
would
| feel good about it, as your judgement on this would be from great
| experience. I've got a few carcasses laying around, so maybe it's
time to
| play around with something like this again.

Very pleased to hear something I did benefited another computer user!

Well, I can't speak from experience on this new program because I've
not used it (I don't own any mobile XP cpu, well, not yet anyway), but
some googling on the name of the program and "mobile XP cpu" might
just yield lots of info. I've read about this program in several
discussion forums (maybe http://tinyurl.com/2zv46 , the amdmb forums)
--
Best regards,
Kyle

In article <c82jeo$1rb1$1@ulysses.noc.ntua.gr>, Kostas <freegift@in.gr>
writes

>Hello!
>Can anybody tell me if elite k7s5a (currently running a duron 1200) can
>co-operate with a 2400+ athlon xp?

Yes. I ran my K7S5A with an XP2400+ for a while with no problems. It
was quite a boost from an XP1800+ too.

>(fsb on mb is 266)
>With a 2600+ ?

Only if you can get the 266FSB version, which is hard to find.

--
A. Top posters.