hd bios limit k7s5a rev 3.1?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 20, 2004 1:32:50 AM

As header, I am having problems with a new 40gig maxtor drive.
Intermittent freezes, hard drive pinging, hd led permanently on. Was
wondering if this could be a bios problem. Ie bios hd limit. Virus
scan OK. Powermax diagnistic OK except for <bios extension test>
System K7s5a mb, duron 1.3, 256ram.
--
Paddy

More about : bios limit k7s5a rev

May 20, 2004 7:42:43 AM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:32:50 +0100, Paddy <paddy@panton.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>As header, I am having problems with a new 40gig maxtor drive.
>Intermittent freezes, hard drive pinging, hd led permanently on. Was
>wondering if this could be a bios problem. Ie bios hd limit.

If it were a BIOS HD limit it wouldn't detect the right size for the
drive.

Sounds more like you have a jumper conflict. If you added it to an IDE
channel with an existing Western Digital, did you change the WD drive
jumpers from 'single master' to either 'master with a second drive' or
'slave'?

Virus
>scan OK. Powermax diagnistic OK except for <bios extension test>
>System K7s5a mb, duron 1.3, 256ram.
May 20, 2004 3:09:25 PM

In message <qlroa05ke911ccgv3u0lc37hm0plg0tike@4ax.com>, flipper
<flipper@fish.net> writes
>On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:32:50 +0100, Paddy <paddy@panton.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>As header, I am having problems with a new 40gig maxtor drive.
>>Intermittent freezes, hard drive pinging, hd led permanently on. Was
>>wondering if this could be a bios problem. Ie bios hd limit.
>
>If it were a BIOS HD limit it wouldn't detect the right size for the
>drive.
>
>Sounds more like you have a jumper conflict. If you added it to an IDE
>channel with an existing Western Digital, did you change the WD drive
>jumpers from 'single master' to either 'master with a second drive' or
>'slave'?
Slave is a Seagate 20g. I will check out jumpers again and put the
Seagate on the second channel to see if that cures the symptoms.
Thanks.
--
Paddy
a b V Motherboard

hmm, all things considered, your K7S5A should not have any problem with
that drive. You might want to set the drive for Cable Select instead of
Master or slave. Just make sure if there is another drive on the chain it
is also set CS. I know I had to do that with Fujitsu drives. Not likely
a bios problem, though a later upgrade never hurts.

Paddy (paddy@panton.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: As header, I am having problems with a new 40gig maxtor drive.
: Intermittent freezes, hard drive pinging, hd led permanently on. Was
: wondering if this could be a bios problem. Ie bios hd limit. Virus
: scan OK. Powermax diagnistic OK except for <bios extension test>
: System K7s5a mb, duron 1.3, 256ram.
: --
: Paddy
May 22, 2004 10:59:29 PM