Problems with Sony CDRW and XP SP2

September 28, 2004 1:07:59 PM

I have just built a new PC with XP SP2 and have a Sony
CRX320E CD-RW and DVD player combi. Most stuff is fine but
after having installed a few games, when I come to load
them I get a message telling me that the correct CD is not
in the drive - which it must be since it autoplays up to
the point where you get the initial CD menu. This is not
everything so I know the drive and windows is essentially
OK. The ones I'm having probs with at the mo are Op
Flashpoint, Serious Sam and Myst Uru - but there may be
more as I add my collection to the PC.

Tried Sony website for updated firmware / patches /
drivers but the site doesn't even recognise the drive on a
search!! The microsoft generic driver is version
5.1.2535.0 01/07/2001, so I'm convinced that is where the
problem lies.

Any ideas? Anyone know if there any updated drivers. (The
update function on the drive properties comes up a zilch)

More about : problems sony cdrw sp2

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:38:08 PM

I ran across this problem with a customers puter, they did not have the
combo drive but just the CD-RW and it turned out it was the Sony burning
software was not compatible with SP2, I removed the burning software &
installed Nero then went to Nero's website downloaded the update and
everything was like new.

--
Good Day
River_Rat

"Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

September 28, 2004 3:38:09 PM

Glad to know I'm not alone then - Can't be Sony software.
I bought the drive as OEM so it came with nothing. But
perhaps it's worth trying Nero. Could be it may do
something to help.....

I've got the Q into Sony aswell, but I won't hold my
breath.

Paul

September 28, 2004 4:54:45 PM

Grasping at straws answer:

Could be that the game is detecting the CD-RW (antipiracy protection) and
not letting the game loadup.
Try Clone CD. In the tray icon (rt click) is the option to "hide CD-RW".
In between banging your head on the wall you may wish to try this. Look
under support and CDFreaks website for help.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd.html
P.S. I had the same trouble with NFS HP2 and another NFS title(?). My
solution at the time was to install and play off of DVDRom.

r.

"Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just built a new PC with XP SP2 and have a Sony
> CRX320E CD-RW and DVD player combi. Most stuff is fine but
> after having installed a few games, when I come to load
> them I get a message telling me that the correct CD is not
> in the drive - which it must be since it autoplays up to
> the point where you get the initial CD menu. This is not
> everything so I know the drive and windows is essentially
> OK. The ones I'm having probs with at the mo are Op
> Flashpoint, Serious Sam and Myst Uru - but there may be
> more as I add my collection to the PC.
>
> Tried Sony website for updated firmware / patches /
> drivers but the site doesn't even recognise the drive on a
> search!! The microsoft generic driver is version
> 5.1.2535.0 01/07/2001, so I'm convinced that is where the
> problem lies.
>
> Any ideas? Anyone know if there any updated drivers. (The
> update function on the drive properties comes up a zilch)
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 5:16:13 PM

After installing the Nero go to the Device Manager and remove the CD-RW and
then reboot and let it find and match everything.

--

Glad to know I'm not alone then - Can't be Sony software.
I bought the drive as OEM so it came with nothing. But
perhaps it's worth trying Nero. Could be it may do
something to help.....

I've got the Q into Sony aswell, but I won't hold my
breath.

Paul

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 9:28:25 PM

"Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just built a new PC with XP SP2 and have a Sony
> CRX320E CD-RW and DVD player combi. Most stuff is fine but
> after having installed a few games, when I come to load
> them I get a message telling me that the correct CD is not
> in the drive - which it must be since it autoplays up to
> the point where you get the initial CD menu. This is not
> everything so I know the drive and windows is essentially
> OK. The ones I'm having probs with at the mo are Op
> Flashpoint, Serious Sam and Myst Uru - but there may be
> more as I add my collection to the PC.
>
> Tried Sony website for updated firmware / patches /
> drivers but the site doesn't even recognise the drive on a
> search!! The microsoft generic driver is version
> 5.1.2535.0 01/07/2001, so I'm convinced that is where the
> problem lies.
>
> Any ideas? Anyone know if there any updated drivers. (The
> update function on the drive properties comes up a zilch)

I don't know of a fix but you are not alone and it's not confined to
sony drives. I get it with doom 3 in my NEC 2510 DVD-RW under SP2, not
all the time but enough to be annoying. Ejecting the disk and putting
it back in usually works for me but on occasion only a reboot would
solve it..
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 9:28:26 PM

Yup - tried that. It certainly sounds like it's a Windows
XP issue more than anything else. Guess we'll just have to
wait for the next fix - That's if River Rats suggestion
doesn't do the trick....

Thanks for the quick response.

September 28, 2004 11:28:03 PM

I along with hundreds others also have this problem and
this fix got mine to read, but still won't write. The
problem is simple... MICROSOFT. Who knows when they will
actually accept their fault and provide a fix, but it
sure makes me made they have messed up my computer I need
for work. My next step to try... uninstall sp2. My next
step after that... screw Microsoft... get Linux!

September 29, 2004 4:15:20 PM

Yep - tried that (managed to get a trial version of
clonecd) but it don't work either.

I'm resorting to getting in touch with the software
houses, because basically the answer I got off Microsoft
was "It's 3rd party copy protection. It's not Microsofts
job to sort out other peoples problems". Like only MS is
allowed to copy protect its software. They completely
missed the fact that SP2 is what appears to have ballsed
things up!!

Anyhow - thanks for the ideas.

Paul

!