Problems with Sony CDRW and XP SP2

I have just built a new PC with XP SP2 and have a Sony
CRX320E CD-RW and DVD player combi. Most stuff is fine but
after having installed a few games, when I come to load
them I get a message telling me that the correct CD is not
in the drive - which it must be since it autoplays up to
the point where you get the initial CD menu. This is not
everything so I know the drive and windows is essentially
OK. The ones I'm having probs with at the mo are Op
Flashpoint, Serious Sam and Myst Uru - but there may be
more as I add my collection to the PC.

Tried Sony website for updated firmware / patches /
drivers but the site doesn't even recognise the drive on a
search!! The microsoft generic driver is version
5.1.2535.0 01/07/2001, so I'm convinced that is where the
problem lies.

Any ideas? Anyone know if there any updated drivers. (The
update function on the drive properties comes up a zilch)
8 answers Last reply
More about problems sony cdrw

    I ran across this problem with a customers puter, they did not have the
    combo drive but just the CD-RW and it turned out it was the Sony burning
    software was not compatible with SP2, I removed the burning software &
    installed Nero then went to Nero's website downloaded the update and
    everything was like new.

    --
    Good Day
    River_Rat

    "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Glad to know I'm not alone then - Can't be Sony software.
    I bought the drive as OEM so it came with nothing. But
    perhaps it's worth trying Nero. Could be it may do
    something to help.....

    I've got the Q into Sony aswell, but I won't hold my
    breath.

    Paul

    Grasping at straws answer:

    Could be that the game is detecting the CD-RW (antipiracy protection) and
    not letting the game loadup.
    Try Clone CD. In the tray icon (rt click) is the option to "hide CD-RW".
    In between banging your head on the wall you may wish to try this. Look
    under support and CDFreaks website for help.
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd.html
    P.S. I had the same trouble with NFS HP2 and another NFS title(?). My
    solution at the time was to install and play off of DVDRom.

    r.

    "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just built a new PC with XP SP2 and have a Sony
    > CRX320E CD-RW and DVD player combi. Most stuff is fine but
    > after having installed a few games, when I come to load
    > them I get a message telling me that the correct CD is not
    > in the drive - which it must be since it autoplays up to
    > the point where you get the initial CD menu. This is not
    > everything so I know the drive and windows is essentially
    > OK. The ones I'm having probs with at the mo are Op
    > Flashpoint, Serious Sam and Myst Uru - but there may be
    > more as I add my collection to the PC.
    >
    > Tried Sony website for updated firmware / patches /
    > drivers but the site doesn't even recognise the drive on a
    > search!! The microsoft generic driver is version
    > 5.1.2535.0 01/07/2001, so I'm convinced that is where the
    > problem lies.
    >
    > Any ideas? Anyone know if there any updated drivers. (The
    > update function on the drive properties comes up a zilch)

    After installing the Nero go to the Device Manager and remove the CD-RW and
    then reboot and let it find and match everything.

    --

    Glad to know I'm not alone then - Can't be Sony software.
    I bought the drive as OEM so it came with nothing. But
    perhaps it's worth trying Nero. Could be it may do
    something to help.....

    I've got the Q into Sony aswell, but I won't hold my
    breath.

    Paul

    I don't know of a fix but you are not alone and it's not confined to
    sony drives. I get it with doom 3 in my NEC 2510 DVD-RW under SP2, not
    all the time but enough to be annoying. Ejecting the disk and putting
    it back in usually works for me but on occasion only a reboot would
    solve it..

    Yup - tried that. It certainly sounds like it's a Windows
    XP issue more than anything else. Guess we'll just have to
    wait for the next fix - That's if River Rats suggestion
    doesn't do the trick....

    Thanks for the quick response.

    I along with hundreds others also have this problem and
    this fix got mine to read, but still won't write. The
    problem is simple... MICROSOFT. Who knows when they will
    actually accept their fault and provide a fix, but it
    sure makes me made they have messed up my computer I need
    for work. My next step to try... uninstall sp2. My next
    step after that... screw Microsoft... get Linux!

    Yep - tried that (managed to get a trial version of
    clonecd) but it don't work either.

    I'm resorting to getting in touch with the software
    houses, because basically the answer I got off Microsoft
    was "It's 3rd party copy protection. It's not Microsofts
    job to sort out other peoples problems". Like only MS is
    allowed to copy protect its software. They completely
    missed the fact that SP2 is what appears to have ballsed
    things up!!

    Anyhow - thanks for the ideas.

    Paul

Sony CD-Rom Windows XP