Problem with L4SMG/651+. A lightning strike.

Problem with L4SMG/651+. A lightning strike.

A friend bought a computer on TV.
When it arrived, they plugged it into a utility power strip and a
phone jack. A lightning strike destroyed the TV and VCR.
The computer stopped working as well.

The motherboard is the L4SMG/651+. 120GB hard drive. 512MB PC2700
DDRRAM.

When it came to me, it did nothing except the power supply fan and the
CPU fan spun.

I pilled the modem and tried again. This time I got a long beep. There
is no video, which is built in, as is the sound.

When I push the case's power button, it powers up ok, but does not
power down. I must turn off the power supply switch.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would really appreciate some help.

Carl

>>> On Sun, 23 May 2004 00:29:19 -0500, Carl Stanley
>>> <carlestanley@hotmail.com> said:

carlestanley> [ ... ] A lightning strike destroyed the TV and VCR. The
carlestanley> computer stopped working as well. [ ... ] When I push the
carlestanley> case's power button, it powers up ok, but does not power
carlestanley> down. I must turn off the power supply switch. Anyone have
carlestanley> any ideas? [ ... ]

Odds are some critical components on the motherboard is destroyed. You
can buy similar replacement motherboards fairly cheaply. It is also
likely/hoped that nothing else is damaged, but that depends on luck.