Backing up computer using XP Backup utility

I've been trying to backup my computer using the XP Backup
utility. When I select the D drive for the backup
location, it is telling me it isn't a valid selection. I
saw something on the web support pages about removable
storage devices. Do I need to have an external hard drive
to do the backup? Is there another option short of
manually selecting files and copying them from the hard
drive to a CD?

Vickie wrote:
> I've been trying to backup my computer using the XP Backup
> utility. When I select the D drive for the backup
> location, it is telling me it isn't a valid selection. I
> saw something on the web support pages about removable
> storage devices. Do I need to have an external hard drive
> to do the backup? Is there another option short of
> manually selecting files and copying them from the hard
> drive to a CD?

If you want to put the backups to a CD, yes - you have to do it.

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255

--
<- Shenan ->

"Vickie" <vickier@san.rr.com>
wrote in news:2f9c01c4a58a$661700f0$a501280a@phx.gbl:
> I've been trying to backup my computer using the XP Backup
> utility. When I select the D drive for the backup
> location, it is telling me it isn't a valid selection. I
> saw something on the web support pages about removable
> storage devices. Do I need to have an external hard drive
> to do the backup? Is there another option short of
> manually selecting files and copying them from the hard
> drive to a CD?

The NT Backup program is not a CD burning program. It can backup to
files (on drives) or to tape. It cannot backup to CD-R[W] or DVD-R[W].
You might be able to use CD media if you get an installable file system
that supports it, like a UDF writer that supports packet writing
(Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD). NT Backup is a crippled version of
Veritas' Backup Exec Desktop (which got sold off to Stomp Inc and is now
called Backup MyPC, and which does support CD recordable media).

Vanguardx wrote:
> "Vickie" <vickier@san.rr.com>
> wrote in news:2f9c01c4a58a$661700f0$a501280a@phx.gbl:
>> I've been trying to backup my computer using the XP Backup
>> utility. When I select the D drive for the backup
>> location, it is telling me it isn't a valid selection. I
>> saw something on the web support pages about removable
>> storage devices. Do I need to have an external hard drive
>> to do the backup? Is there another option short of
>> manually selecting files and copying them from the hard
>> drive to a CD?
>
> The NT Backup program is not a CD burning program. It can backup to
> files (on drives) or to tape. It cannot backup to CD-R[W] or
> DVD-R[W]. You might be able to use CD media if you get an installable
> file system that supports it, like a UDF writer that supports packet
> writing (Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD). NT Backup is a crippled
> version of Veritas' Backup Exec Desktop (which got sold off to Stomp
> Inc and is now called Backup MyPC, and which does support CD
> recordable media).

So how do you get it to recognise a tape drive?

"Brigand" <Brigand@nycap.rr.NULL>
wrote in news:e5tUJRcpEHA.1952@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
> Vanguardx wrote:
>> "Vickie" <vickier@san.rr.com>
>> wrote in news:2f9c01c4a58a$661700f0$a501280a@phx.gbl:
>>> I've been trying to backup my computer using the XP Backup
>>> utility. When I select the D drive for the backup
>>> location, it is telling me it isn't a valid selection. I
>>> saw something on the web support pages about removable
>>> storage devices. Do I need to have an external hard drive
>>> to do the backup? Is there another option short of
>>> manually selecting files and copying them from the hard
>>> drive to a CD?
>>
>> The NT Backup program is not a CD burning program. It can backup to
>> files (on drives) or to tape. It cannot backup to CD-R[W] or
>> DVD-R[W]. You might be able to use CD media if you get an installable
>> file system that supports it, like a UDF writer that supports packet
>> writing (Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD). NT Backup is a crippled
>> version of Veritas' Backup Exec Desktop (which got sold off to Stomp
>> Inc and is now called Backup MyPC, and which does support CD
>> recordable media).
>
> So how do you get it to recognise a tape drive?

Under the Backup tab, see the "Backup destination" selection drop-down
listbox at the lower left?