Looks like k7s5a is now a "fully analyzed" mobo

Not many posts in this NG any more on the k7s5a, glad to see the k7s5a
is mostly "ironed-out". Mine is currently taking a break from
service, but the next time I get a bit of energy, my other office/work
machine will receive the k7s5a as an upgrade from it's current
k63+/550 CPU and SS7 mobo. Geez I hate to retire that old FIC 503+,
it's done great service over the years, and still runs rock solid in
operation.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2hmlj8FdtaltU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Not many posts in this NG any more on the k7s5a, glad to see the k7s5a
> is mostly "ironed-out". Mine is currently taking a break from
> service, but the next time I get a bit of energy, my other office/work
> machine will receive the k7s5a as an upgrade from it's current
> k63+/550 CPU and SS7 mobo. Geez I hate to retire that old FIC 503+,
> it's done great service over the years, and still runs rock solid in
> operation.

Retire a 503+ ?
It makes me sad to hear you say it out loud. :^)
I keep firing mine up a couple of times a month just to see the old
girl run once more.
Sure was fun playing with the thing from P-120, to a K6-3-450 and
finally with the K6-3+ @550.
It will eventually become a nice upgrade for a relative with a dog
slow P-II 350 machine.
I must say, I learned a great deal working with it.
The jumpers were just the thing to finally convince me that I needed
glasses. :^)

Frank

"Frank" <frankg8036@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
| > Not many posts in this NG any more on the k7s5a, glad to see the
k7s5a
| > is mostly "ironed-out". Mine is currently taking a break from
| > service, but the next time I get a bit of energy, my other
office/work
| > machine will receive the k7s5a as an upgrade from it's current
| > k63+/550 CPU and SS7 mobo. Geez I hate to retire that old FIC
503+,
| > it's done great service over the years, and still runs rock solid
in
| > operation.
|
| Retire a 503+ ?
| It makes me sad to hear you say it out loud. :^)
| I keep firing mine up a couple of times a month just to see the old
| girl run once more.
| Sure was fun playing with the thing from P-120, to a K6-3-450 and
| finally with the K6-3+ @550.
| It will eventually become a nice upgrade for a relative with a dog
| slow P-II 350 machine.
| I must say, I learned a great deal working with it.
| The jumpers were just the thing to finally convince me that I needed
| glasses. :^)
|
| Frank

Heh, mod'ding the drive strength SMD resistor in the k7s5a CPU socket
area a few years back convinced me my eyes were finally beginning to
fail on closeup work. I remember as a young engineer working with
electricians and assisting them with the "hard to see" items when one
of the older guys would say "you can see that?" and I would think,
geez no problem. Now, I'm becoming the blind one, lol. Now where did
I put my $2 reading classes and my magnifying glass. . .

--
Best regards,
Kyle

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2i15i1Fhjmv2U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> "Frank" <frankg8036@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> | > Not many posts in this NG any more on the k7s5a, glad to see the
> k7s5a
> | > is mostly "ironed-out". Mine is currently taking a break from
> | > service, but the next time I get a bit of energy, my other
> office/work
> | > machine will receive the k7s5a as an upgrade from it's current
> | > k63+/550 CPU and SS7 mobo. Geez I hate to retire that old FIC
> 503+,
> | > it's done great service over the years, and still runs rock solid
> in
> | > operation.
> |
> | Retire a 503+ ?
> | It makes me sad to hear you say it out loud. :^)
> | I keep firing mine up a couple of times a month just to see the old
> | girl run once more.
> | Sure was fun playing with the thing from P-120, to a K6-3-450 and
> | finally with the K6-3+ @550.
> | It will eventually become a nice upgrade for a relative with a dog
> | slow P-II 350 machine.
> | I must say, I learned a great deal working with it.
> | The jumpers were just the thing to finally convince me that I needed
> | glasses. :^)
> |
> | Frank
>
> Heh, mod'ding the drive strength SMD resistor in the k7s5a CPU socket
> area a few years back convinced me my eyes were finally beginning to
> fail on closeup work. I remember as a young engineer working with
> electricians and assisting them with the "hard to see" items when one
> of the older guys would say "you can see that?" and I would think,
> geez no problem. Now, I'm becoming the blind one, lol. Now where did
> I put my $2 reading classes and my magnifying glass. . .

That's the story of my life, but I went for the deluxe $3.75 specs
from the grocery store. Then fitted them with a strap to keep them
hanging around my neck so I can keep up with them.
Lately, the magnifying glass is spending more time out of the top desk
drawer than in it. :^)

Frank

"John" <gcfan100_5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| lets just say that the k7s5a isnt fully analyzed, I have plenty of
trouble.

The comment about "fully analyzed" was directed at all the unusual
characteristics of the board. You have what sounds to be a hardware
failure given the content of your other post. Look at the capacitors
around the CPU and check for "bulging tops" or leakage of the
electrolyte onto the board. Swap in another CPU. Swap PS. Just a few
thoughts.
--
Best regards,
Kyle