K7S5A PRO, bios question

I want to use a 160GB WD hard drive on my secondary controller.
My K7S5A PRO bios will not see it correctly.
My bios is dated 1/20/2003.
Will updating to the latest bios (8/25/2003) allow
it to overcome the 137GB limit ?

Does any K7S5A PRO bios support 48-bit addressing ?

Would the Honey bios be better ?
2 answers Last reply
More about k7s5a bios question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:58:52 GMT, "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I want to use a 160GB WD hard drive on my secondary controller.
    >My K7S5A PRO bios will not see it correctly.
    >My bios is dated 1/20/2003.
    >Will updating to the latest bios (8/25/2003) allow
    >it to overcome the 137GB limit ?
    >
    >Does any K7S5A PRO bios support 48-bit addressing ?
    >
    >Would the Honey bios be better ?

    I've used 160 gig drives with the K7S5A Pro with no problems.
    The 48 bit addressing is also dependent on the operating system.
    You need XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows 2000 with Service
    Pack 3 or 4.

    My version of Windows 2000 is several yrs old and does not include
    the Service Packs. I installed 2000 on the drive, but made just one
    partition of 100 gigs. Then I updated to Service Pack 4 via Windows
    Update. Then I formatted the rest of the drive and it works fine.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "TX_Dude" <ric.duncan@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've used 160 gig drives with the K7S5A Pro with no problems.
    > The 48 bit addressing is also dependent on the operating system.
    > You need XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows 2000 with Service
    > Pack 3 or 4.
    >
    > My version of Windows 2000 is several yrs old and does not include
    > the Service Packs. I installed 2000 on the drive, but made just one
    > partition of 100 gigs. Then I updated to Service Pack 4 via Windows
    > Update. Then I formatted the rest of the drive and it works fine.

    That would be Windows XP with SP1. SP2 isn't yet released.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp
    www.coribright.com

Elitegroup BIOS Hard Drives Western Digital Motherboards