K7S5A PRO, bios question

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2004 11:58:52 PM

I want to use a 160GB WD hard drive on my secondary controller.
My K7S5A PRO bios will not see it correctly.
My bios is dated 1/20/2003.
Will updating to the latest bios (8/25/2003) allow
it to overcome the 137GB limit ?

Does any K7S5A PRO bios support 48-bit addressing ?

Would the Honey bios be better ?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2004 8:40:27 AM

On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:58:52 GMT, "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:

>I want to use a 160GB WD hard drive on my secondary controller.
>My K7S5A PRO bios will not see it correctly.
>My bios is dated 1/20/2003.
>Will updating to the latest bios (8/25/2003) allow
>it to overcome the 137GB limit ?
>
>Does any K7S5A PRO bios support 48-bit addressing ?
>
>Would the Honey bios be better ?

I've used 160 gig drives with the K7S5A Pro with no problems.
The 48 bit addressing is also dependent on the operating system.
You need XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows 2000 with Service
Pack 3 or 4.

My version of Windows 2000 is several yrs old and does not include
the Service Packs. I installed 2000 on the drive, but made just one
partition of 100 gigs. Then I updated to Service Pack 4 via Windows
Update. Then I formatted the rest of the drive and it works fine.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2004 9:44:41 AM

"TX_Dude" <ric.duncan@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I've used 160 gig drives with the K7S5A Pro with no problems.
> The 48 bit addressing is also dependent on the operating system.
> You need XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows 2000 with Service
> Pack 3 or 4.
>
> My version of Windows 2000 is several yrs old and does not include
> the Service Packs. I installed 2000 on the drive, but made just one
> partition of 100 gigs. Then I updated to Service Pack 4 via Windows
> Update. Then I formatted the rest of the drive and it works fine.

That would be Windows XP with SP1. SP2 isn't yet released.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp
www.coribright.com
!