Finding ways around LAN settings for online gaming.

lee

Hello,

Thank you for reading.
I've just started university and the internet in my room
is part of the uni network. connected via ethernet.

It is heavily filtered to block adult content, but it
also will not allow online gaming. Whenever I try to
launch the little program that lobbies together gamers,
it just simply won't connect. I'm sure there must be a
way around this. Its nothing malicious, I juts like
playing games online.

Any ideas as to a solution would be truly appreciated,
can contact me at bravobro@msn.com too.

cheers, Lee

You need to take that up with your network administrator. The internet
being filtered isn't so much the problem you are running across as it is
the blocking of specific ports so that they can restrict the use of P2P
(Peer to Peer) File Sharing programs. This is where the problem really
lies.

Take a trip down to the networking lab and let them know. They should
be able to find out what port it is that you need opened and open that
port for you to use ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for reading.
> I've just started university and the internet in my room
> is part of the uni network. connected via ethernet.
>
> It is heavily filtered to block adult content, but it
> also will not allow online gaming. Whenever I try to
> launch the little program that lobbies together gamers,
> it just simply won't connect. I'm sure there must be a
> way around this. Its nothing malicious, I juts like
> playing games online.
>
> Any ideas as to a solution would be truly appreciated,
> can contact me at bravobro@msn.com too.
>
> cheers, Lee

lee

Thank you very much indeed!
Lee

Not a problem. I know from experience as this is exactly what my
college did ;)

----
Nathan McNulty