Attn: Barb Bowman

Thanks so much for your articles on wireless security,
I'm new to wireless and have learned a lot from your
writings! I want to impliment WPA security and understand
that I need firmware updates for my hardware but am still
confused about the XP end of things ... do I need the WPA
patch (815485) or does the SP2 update contain everything
I need? And if the WPA patch is necessary should it be
installed before SP2 is added?

Greetings James,

quote "For wireless clients that are running Windows XP service pack 2 (SP2)
and that are using a wireless network adapter that supports the Wireless
Zero Configuration service, the Windows WPA Client is included in Windows XP
SP2. Therefore, additional downloads are not needed. The Windows WPA Client
updates the wireless network configuration dialog boxes to support new WPA
options."

Overview of the WPA Wireless Security Update in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485

_______________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

"James P." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks so much for your articles on wireless security,
> I'm new to wireless and have learned a lot from your
> writings! I want to impliment WPA security and understand
> that I need firmware updates for my hardware but am still
> confused about the XP end of things ... do I need the WPA
> patch (815485) or does the SP2 update contain everything
> I need? And if the WPA patch is necessary should it be
> installed before SP2 is added?

Windows XP SP2 includes the most recent WPA security bits, so you do
not need a patch.

Your wireless network card/embedded card will need firmware that
supports WPA and you will need drivers that support this. Your router
or access point will need to support WPA as well. If you post info on
brands and models, you'll get additional assistance.

Glad you find the columns useful!

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:36:29 -0800, "James P."

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

JamesP

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004

Appreciate the additional info you both supplied. I contacted the mfgrs of my
router and wireless NIC today and have downloaded the necessary updates (also
have recv'd SP2 CD from MS) so it appears I'm ready to go ... thanks again!