Video Card Drivers

Deleted member 3023

Hello, yes I'm back. This time I've truly found the problem and I've narrowed
it down much more for you guys.

Recently I had to reinstall Windows XP, so I did so. But I was having
troubles with the internet and couldn't figure it out so I started playing
some games (with no sound and the video drivers that must've came with
WinXP). No crashing. Nothing. I played a full game of WH40K:DoW, where
usually I'd crash midway through or near the end. Plus I played the full demo
scenario of Evil Genius, which would also crash midway through or near the
end.

Then I got the internet fixed (I really just reinstalled Windows XP again
and it worked), then updated my drivers. And guess what? Crashes started
occuring again. I think the problem is quite obvious once I went through
this. The drivers are screwing up somewhere between the uninstallation of the
old drivers, to the installation of the new ones. BUT I am following the
instructions flawlessly, of course, so I am unsure of how it is doing so.

Would anybody like to venture a solution please? It'd be really helpful.

What motherboard and video card do you have? I have a few suggestions
that I can help you with if you need. First, try updating the BIOS as
this may help your situation. Second, make sure you are using the
latest WHQL drivers for your video card. Finally, you may want to try
updating your motherboard (chipset) drivers as this controls your AGP.

You may want to try the Omega drivers from www.omegadrivers.net if you
have either an ATI or nVidia video card. The reason is that these
drivers are much more stable as they disable Fast Writes and have a few
other settings that make them much better. The quality of the picture
is better and they usually perform better than the regular drivers.

----
Nathan McNulty

Corey wrote:
> Hello, yes I'm back. This time I've truly found the problem and I've narrowed
> it down much more for you guys.
>
> Recently I had to reinstall Windows XP, so I did so. But I was having
> troubles with the internet and couldn't figure it out so I started playing
> some games (with no sound and the video drivers that must've came with
> WinXP). No crashing. Nothing. I played a full game of WH40K:DoW, where
> usually I'd crash midway through or near the end. Plus I played the full demo
> scenario of Evil Genius, which would also crash midway through or near the
> end.
>
> Then I got the internet fixed (I really just reinstalled Windows XP again
> and it worked), then updated my drivers. And guess what? Crashes started
> occuring again. I think the problem is quite obvious once I went through
> this. The drivers are screwing up somewhere between the uninstallation of the
> old drivers, to the installation of the new ones. BUT I am following the
> instructions flawlessly, of course, so I am unsure of how it is doing so.
>
> Would anybody like to venture a solution please? It'd be really helpful.

Deleted member 3023

Motherboard: ASUS K7M
Video Card: Geforce4 ti4200

I've flashed the BIOS, I've updated the chipset drivers, and I'm using the
latest 65.73 WHQL certified drivers (thanks to guru3d.com). I've also tried
these drivers: 61.77, 61.76, 56.72, 53.04, 53.03, 52.16, 45.23, 40.72 as well
as the Omega drivers for the 5x.xx series. But the only thing is that I don't
remember the version of the drivers that were installed when I reinstalled
WinXP.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> What motherboard and video card do you have? I have a few suggestions
> that I can help you with if you need. First, try updating the BIOS as
> this may help your situation. Second, make sure you are using the
> latest WHQL drivers for your video card. Finally, you may want to try
> updating your motherboard (chipset) drivers as this controls your AGP.
>
> You may want to try the Omega drivers from www.omegadrivers.net if you
> have either an ATI or nVidia video card. The reason is that these
> drivers are much more stable as they disable Fast Writes and have a few
> other settings that make them much better. The quality of the picture
> is better and they usually perform better than the regular drivers.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty

I would suggest uninstalling any nVidia drivers you have installed.
Then use Nasty File Remover (a driver cleaner) you can easily find on
Google (or at Guru3d.com). Then install the latest Omega Drivers.

Also, be sure to check the heat inside the case to make sure that isn't
a factor. I am not sure if the GeForce 4 series has the temperature
monitor available like the FX series, but that would be a simple way of
checking throught the nVidia Control Panel ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Corey wrote:
> Motherboard: ASUS K7M
> Video Card: Geforce4 ti4200
>
> I've flashed the BIOS, I've updated the chipset drivers, and I'm using the
> latest 65.73 WHQL certified drivers (thanks to guru3d.com). I've also tried
> these drivers: 61.77, 61.76, 56.72, 53.04, 53.03, 52.16, 45.23, 40.72 as well
> as the Omega drivers for the 5x.xx series. But the only thing is that I don't
> remember the version of the drivers that were installed when I reinstalled
> WinXP.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>What motherboard and video card do you have? I have a few suggestions
>>that I can help you with if you need. First, try updating the BIOS as
>>this may help your situation. Second, make sure you are using the
>>latest WHQL drivers for your video card. Finally, you may want to try
>>updating your motherboard (chipset) drivers as this controls your AGP.
>>
>>You may want to try the Omega drivers from www.omegadrivers.net if you
>>have either an ATI or nVidia video card. The reason is that these
>>drivers are much more stable as they disable Fast Writes and have a few
>>other settings that make them much better. The quality of the picture
>>is better and they usually perform better than the regular drivers.
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty

dl

You might want to use the guru3d utility to completely remove old drivers,
prior to installing any new ones.
Also ensure you follow instructions on how to update/install driver

"Corey" <Corey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Motherboard: ASUS K7M
> Video Card: Geforce4 ti4200
>
> I've flashed the BIOS, I've updated the chipset drivers, and I'm using the
> latest 65.73 WHQL certified drivers (thanks to guru3d.com). I've also
tried
> these drivers: 61.77, 61.76, 56.72, 53.04, 53.03, 52.16, 45.23, 40.72 as
well
> as the Omega drivers for the 5x.xx series. But the only thing is that I
don't
> remember the version of the drivers that were installed when I reinstalled
> WinXP.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>
> > What motherboard and video card do you have? I have a few suggestions
> > that I can help you with if you need. First, try updating the BIOS as
> > this may help your situation. Second, make sure you are using the
> > latest WHQL drivers for your video card. Finally, you may want to try
> > updating your motherboard (chipset) drivers as this controls your AGP.
> >
> > You may want to try the Omega drivers from www.omegadrivers.net if you
> > have either an ATI or nVidia video card. The reason is that these
> > drivers are much more stable as they disable Fast Writes and have a few
> > other settings that make them much better. The quality of the picture
> > is better and they usually perform better than the regular drivers.
> >
> > ----
> > Nathan McNulty

Deleted member 3023

Didn't work, any other suggestions?

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> I would suggest uninstalling any nVidia drivers you have installed.
> Then use Nasty File Remover (a driver cleaner) you can easily find on
> Google (or at Guru3d.com). Then install the latest Omega Drivers.
>
> Also, be sure to check the heat inside the case to make sure that isn't
> a factor. I am not sure if the GeForce 4 series has the temperature
> monitor available like the FX series, but that would be a simple way of
> checking throught the nVidia Control Panel ;)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Corey wrote:
> > Motherboard: ASUS K7M
> > Video Card: Geforce4 ti4200
> >
> > I've flashed the BIOS, I've updated the chipset drivers, and I'm using the
> > latest 65.73 WHQL certified drivers (thanks to guru3d.com). I've also tried
> > these drivers: 61.77, 61.76, 56.72, 53.04, 53.03, 52.16, 45.23, 40.72 as well
> > as the Omega drivers for the 5x.xx series. But the only thing is that I don't
> > remember the version of the drivers that were installed when I reinstalled
> > WinXP.
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
> >

> >>What motherboard and video card do you have? I have a few suggestions
> >>that I can help you with if you need. First, try updating the BIOS as
> >>this may help your situation. Second, make sure you are using the
> >>latest WHQL drivers for your video card. Finally, you may want to try
> >>updating your motherboard (chipset) drivers as this controls your AGP.
> >>
> >>You may want to try the Omega drivers from www.omegadrivers.net if you
> >>have either an ATI or nVidia video card. The reason is that these
> >>drivers are much more stable as they disable Fast Writes and have a few
> >>other settings that make them much better. The quality of the picture
> >>is better and they usually perform better than the regular drivers.
> >>
> >>----
> >>Nathan McNulty

I would resort to the dreaded clean install of XP at this point. Backup
all your data, format the drive, and install Windows with a clean slate.
If it still won't work after that, I would start troubleshooting each
individual peice of hardware to see if anything is faulty.

----
Nathan McNulty