Can't copy driver.cab

September 29, 2004 12:19:07 AM

I recently had a problem with the capacitors on my MoBo. They were leaking
but I got them replaced by the manufacturer. I also reformatted my hard
drive and when I tried to reinstall windows xp pro, a number of files could
not be copied. They were some help files but more imprtantly there was also
dmutil.dll and driver.cab. As a result, my pc can't connect, recognize or
install the drivers for my modem, printer etc.

Is there still a problem with my MoBo?
Is it the windows cd or the hard drive?
What other possibilities are there?

More about : copy driver cab

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 4:27:33 AM

I would try to reinstall Windows again. This happens to me on an older
machine I have which only has a 16x CD ROM drive. Try cleaning the CD
and let it have another try ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

ManInJapan wrote:
> I recently had a problem with the capacitors on my MoBo. They were leaking
> but I got them replaced by the manufacturer. I also reformatted my hard
> drive and when I tried to reinstall windows xp pro, a number of files could
> not be copied. They were some help files but more imprtantly there was also
> dmutil.dll and driver.cab. As a result, my pc can't connect, recognize or
> install the drivers for my modem, printer etc.
>
> Is there still a problem with my MoBo?
> Is it the windows cd or the hard drive?
> What other possibilities are there?
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 5:49:04 AM

I've reinstalled and repaired a few times. I'll try cleaning the cd and then
do it again. When I try to install the drivers through device manager, it
says:

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

and doesn't install. That happens for the ethernet controller and the
multimedia audio controller and an unknown device which later says is the
video and game controller. Everythin else seems to be ok.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> I would try to reinstall Windows again. This happens to me on an older
> machine I have which only has a 16x CD ROM drive. Try cleaning the CD
> and let it have another try ;)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> ManInJapan wrote:
> > I recently had a problem with the capacitors on my MoBo. They were leaking
> > but I got them replaced by the manufacturer. I also reformatted my hard
> > drive and when I tried to reinstall windows xp pro, a number of files could
> > not be copied. They were some help files but more imprtantly there was also
> > dmutil.dll and driver.cab. As a result, my pc can't connect, recognize or
> > install the drivers for my modem, printer etc.
> >
> > Is there still a problem with my MoBo?
> > Is it the windows cd or the hard drive?
> > What other possibilities are there?

October 2, 2004 9:15:03 AM

ok i cleaned the cd and the drive but no dice. i'm thinking the cd is
corrupt or the hdd. What next?

"ManInJapan" wrote:

> I've reinstalled and repaired a few times. I'll try cleaning the cd and then
> do it again. When I try to install the drivers through device manager, it
> says:
>
> Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
>
> and doesn't install. That happens for the ethernet controller and the
> multimedia audio controller and an unknown device which later says is the
> video and game controller. Everythin else seems to be ok.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>
> > I would try to reinstall Windows again. This happens to me on an older
> > machine I have which only has a 16x CD ROM drive. Try cleaning the CD
> > and let it have another try ;)
> >
> > ----
> > Nathan McNulty
> >

> > ManInJapan wrote:
> > > I recently had a problem with the capacitors on my MoBo. They were leaking
> > > but I got them replaced by the manufacturer. I also reformatted my hard
> > > drive and when I tried to reinstall windows xp pro, a number of files could
> > > not be copied. They were some help files but more imprtantly there was also
> > > dmutil.dll and driver.cab. As a result, my pc can't connect, recognize or
> > > install the drivers for my modem, printer etc.
> > >
> > > Is there still a problem with my MoBo?
> > > Is it the windows cd or the hard drive?
> > > What other possibilities are there?

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 5:18:59 AM

If possible, try the CD or the different drives in a different computer.
You can always purchase a new drive and see if it works. If not,
return it ;)

-----
Nathan McNulty

!