Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BIOS version K7S5A Pro 5.0?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2004 9:22:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

When the computer boots where ,what series of numbers
do I find the BIOS version?
None of the numbers appearing on my POST or CMOS screens
correlate to the BIOS numbers found at
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a_pro.html

Am having great difficulties loading Windows and formatting 80Gig
Western Digital HD. Windows keeps reporting "NTLDR is missing".
Microsoft's fixes don't cover my problem, neither does Western Digital.
Any and all help will be appreciated.
Xeno

More about : bios version k7s5a pro

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2004 9:22:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:22:13 GMT, "Xeno Chauvin"
<arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>When the computer boots where ,what series of numbers
>do I find the BIOS version?
>None of the numbers appearing on my POST or CMOS screens
>correlate to the BIOS numbers found at
>http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a_pro.html
>
>Am having great difficulties loading Windows and formatting 80Gig
>Western Digital HD. Windows keeps reporting "NTLDR is missing".
>Microsoft's fixes don't cover my problem, neither does Western Digital.
>Any and all help will be appreciated.
>Xeno
>

I get that error message all time. I move my hard disks from one
computer (motherboard) to another and that is the message I get.

The best fix is to start over and repartition and reformat the hard
disk and reload your operating system from scratch. I use partition
magic 8 to do that, but there are any number of utilities that will do
it.

You would not get that error unless you have an old copy of win2000
or its kin already on your hard disk. You need to get rid of that or
else repair it. It could be that you don't have the partition
correcly stated in your boot.ini file.

Pj
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 12:32:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

"PJx" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:ajqrc05781grjrff4fpslrhu3gmrhrd13j@4ax.com...
> You would not get that error unless you have an old copy of win2000
> or its kin already on your hard disk. You need to get rid of that or
> else repair it. It could be that you don't have the partition
> correcly stated in your boot.ini file.

Story goes;

Installed drive out of the box, attempted to partition and format
with WinXP Home. Partitioned O.K. went through 97% of "format" when Win
said "couldn't format".
Ran program delpart.exe to get rid of
partition,(http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm)
( understand that regular format will not remove NTFS partitions)
Ran Western Digital's partition and format tried to load ...no go.
After checking Microsoft and Westerndigital believe I need a BIOS
upgrade but cannot match BIOS numbers on boot with anything
from ECS.
Xeno
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 2:23:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

Xeno Chauvin wrote:

>
> "PJx" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> news:ajqrc05781grjrff4fpslrhu3gmrhrd13j@4ax.com...
>> You would not get that error unless you have an old copy of win2000
>> or its kin already on your hard disk. You need to get rid of that or
>> else repair it. It could be that you don't have the partition
>> correcly stated in your boot.ini file.
>
> Story goes;
>
> Installed drive out of the box, attempted to partition and format
> with WinXP Home. Partitioned O.K. went through 97% of "format" when Win
> said "couldn't format".
> Ran program delpart.exe to get rid of
> partition,(http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm)
> ( understand that regular format will not remove NTFS partitions)
> Ran Western Digital's partition and format tried to load ...no go.
> After checking Microsoft and Westerndigital believe I need a BIOS
> upgrade but cannot match BIOS numbers on boot with anything
> from ECS.
> Xeno

Though I'm not sure if the BIOS is your problem,

The latest Official BIOS from ECS is 030811 which was released 8/25/2003.
You'll also need the latest FLASH AMI prog. I don't overclock this box, so
this is what I am currently using...However...

You can find other OC'd BIOS like Honey-X...but they are essentially the
same with more frequency options available, normally hidden in the official
release...
--
Kirbalo...

K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
SuSE Linux 9.0 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
Linux 2.4.21-215-athlon
10:19pm up 5 days 13:48, 3 users, load average: 1.02, 1.24, 1.38
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 8:44:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

"kirbalo" <kirbalo@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:uridnTBo_vgl9lPdRVn-jg@comcast.com...
> The latest Official BIOS from ECS is 030811 which was released 8/25/2003.
> You'll also need the latest FLASH AMI prog. I don't overclock this box,
so
> this is what I am currently using...However...

Can you tell me where I can find what my present BIOS is?
AMI says there BIOS should be identified by the string of numbers at the
bottom of the screen when in POST, however, none of those
numbers match anything on the ECS web-site.
Xeno
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2004 1:40:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

Xeno Chauvin wrote:

>
> "kirbalo" <kirbalo@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:uridnTBo_vgl9lPdRVn-jg@comcast.com...
>> The latest Official BIOS from ECS is 030811 which was released 8/25/2003.
>> You'll also need the latest FLASH AMI prog. I don't overclock this box,
> so
>> this is what I am currently using...However...
>
> Can you tell me where I can find what my present BIOS is?
> AMI says there BIOS should be identified by the string of numbers at the
> bottom of the screen when in POST, however, none of those
> numbers match anything on the ECS web-site.
> Xeno

When your box first POST's, you should see a spash screen that states the
BIOS installed. It's either the second or third line down. Mine says
030811 as the date/BIOS version. I can't remember what the other verions
said, but you should be able to see a short sequence such as 030811 or a
date. If you download the AMIFLASH.pdf instructions, it will show you a
screenshot of what you should see. If you can't figure it out, then go
ahead and make a Boot/BIOS Update disk per the directions on the ECS site,
and give it a try. Before you actually update, it tells you what version
you have, and what version you are trying to update to...You can make the
decision from there.

--
Kirbalo...

K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
SuSE Linux 9.0 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
Linux 2.4.21-215-athlon
9:09pm up 6 days 12:38, 3 users, load average: 1.01, 1.16, 1.22
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2004 8:21:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

"kirbalo" <kirbalo@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:p fGdnZoGgYWHLlLdRVn-vA@comcast.com...

I just jumped off and flashed the BIOS. It appears to work(?)
You were right the date at about the 3rd line was the date of
the BIOS. It changed from 1-21-01S to 8-23-03S.
Thanks
Xeno
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 7:36:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

Xeno Chauvin wrote:

>
> "kirbalo" <kirbalo@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:p fGdnZoGgYWHLlLdRVn-vA@comcast.com...
>
> I just jumped off and flashed the BIOS. It appears to work(?)
> You were right the date at about the 3rd line was the date of
> the BIOS. It changed from 1-21-01S to 8-23-03S.
> Thanks
> Xeno

So...I see from your other post that you still can't see the WD 80 GB Drive?

> So far it can't see my new 80GB Western Digital, I'm
> having to use an overlay that WinXP doesn't seem to like.
> Xeno

It's not the BIOS then...Where do you have the jumper on the Drive set to..?
Master, Slave, or Line Selectable? Try the different jumper configs on the
back of the drive...You may need to force "Master" or something like
that...

--
Kirbalo...

K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
SuSE Linux 9.0 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
Linux 2.4.21-226-athlon
3:32pm up 1 day 1:32, 3 users, load average: 1.00, 1.05, 1.10
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2004 4:35:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

"Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
news:99lzc.28531$KL2.18835@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> When the computer boots where ,what series of numbers
> do I find the BIOS version?
> None of the numbers appearing on my POST or CMOS screens
> correlate to the BIOS numbers found at
> http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a_pro.html
>
> Am having great difficulties loading Windows and formatting 80Gig
> Western Digital HD. Windows keeps reporting "NTLDR is missing".
> Microsoft's fixes don't cover my problem, neither does Western Digital.
> Any and all help will be appreciated.
> Xeno
>
>
Have you tried jumpering the WD to Master/Single?
!