Need to know ASUS motherboard model - How?

I want to update my BIOS and the ASUS website says its needs to know my
motherboard model number. I pressed F2 during startup as it suggested, but
it did not list any BIOS numbers as suggested by the site.

How do I determine my motherboard model? I have a Sony PCV RX752 running
Windows XP for Home. It is a P4, and the system summary lists the system
BIOS Version as ASUS 42302e31. I read in setup that my BIOS is Award1003, so
I am confused as to what model/make my motherboard is. Thanks.

like Sisoft Sandra or AIDA (both can be downloaded),
which list all the details of the hardware, model no and
version etc. I think from what you state, that your BIOS
is manufactured by AWARD and not ASUS. So try visiting
http:\\www.award-bios.com.

I finally opened the chassis and found this model on the motherboard:
P4S266-VX. When I typed this model number into ASUS website to obtain BIOS
update, it said it was not found. Ready to tear out my hair!

"PNW girl" wrote:

> I want to update my BIOS and the ASUS website says its needs to know my
> motherboard model number. I pressed F2 during startup as it suggested, but
> it did not list any BIOS numbers as suggested by the site.
>
> How do I determine my motherboard model? I have a Sony PCV RX752 running
> Windows XP for Home. It is a P4, and the system summary lists the system
> BIOS Version as ASUS 42302e31. I read in setup that my BIOS is Award1003, so
> I am confused as to what model/make my motherboard is. Thanks.

Try using ASUS Update software from here:
http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/Asusupdt52801.zip

This program automatically knows what motherboard you have and knows if
there is a BIOS update available and will update the BIOS for you from
within XP ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

PNW girl wrote:
> I want to update my BIOS and the ASUS website says its needs to know my
> motherboard model number. I pressed F2 during startup as it suggested, but
> it did not list any BIOS numbers as suggested by the site.
>
> How do I determine my motherboard model? I have a Sony PCV RX752 running
> Windows XP for Home. It is a P4, and the system summary lists the system
> BIOS Version as ASUS 42302e31. I read in setup that my BIOS is Award1003, so
> I am confused as to what model/make my motherboard is. Thanks.

Don't worry too much about that because the software program I noted in
my other link should take care of it.

----
Nathan McNulty

PNW girl wrote:
> I finally opened the chassis and found this model on the motherboard:
> P4S266-VX. When I typed this model number into ASUS website to obtain BIOS
> update, it said it was not found. Ready to tear out my hair!
>
> "PNW girl" wrote:
>

>>I want to update my BIOS and the ASUS website says its needs to know my
>>motherboard model number. I pressed F2 during startup as it suggested, but
>>it did not list any BIOS numbers as suggested by the site.
>>
>>How do I determine my motherboard model? I have a Sony PCV RX752 running
>>Windows XP for Home. It is a P4, and the system summary lists the system
>>BIOS Version as ASUS 42302e31. I read in setup that my BIOS is Award1003, so
>>I am confused as to what model/make my motherboard is. Thanks.

I don't understand. The link you sent consists of zipped files. What do
they do?

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Try using ASUS Update software from here:
> http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/Asusupdt52801.zip
>
> This program automatically knows what motherboard you have and knows if
> there is a BIOS update available and will update the BIOS for you from
> within XP ;)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> PNW girl wrote:
> > I want to update my BIOS and the ASUS website says its needs to know my
> > motherboard model number. I pressed F2 during startup as it suggested, but
> > it did not list any BIOS numbers as suggested by the site.
> >
> > How do I determine my motherboard model? I have a Sony PCV RX752 running
> > Windows XP for Home. It is a P4, and the system summary lists the system
> > BIOS Version as ASUS 42302e31. I read in setup that my BIOS is Award1003, so
> > I am confused as to what model/make my motherboard is. Thanks.

WOW, what a great response. The website had an agent that detected my
motherboard, like Nathan's suggestion for the Asus site. It IS an Award
motherboard! Now I just need to figure out how to update it. Thanks very
much!

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> [...]

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You have to go to Sony. There is an abundance of OEM hardware
in the market place.

"PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
>I finally opened the chassis and found this model on the motherboard:
> P4S266-VX. When I typed this model number into ASUS website to
> obtain BIOS
> update, it said it was not found. Ready to tear out my hair!
>
> "PNW girl" wrote:
>
>> I want to update my BIOS and the ASUS website says its needs to
>> know my
>> motherboard model number. I pressed F2 during startup as it
>> suggested, but
>> it did not list any BIOS numbers as suggested by the site.
>>
>> How do I determine my motherboard model? I have a Sony PCV RX752
>> running
>> Windows XP for Home. It is a P4, and the system summary lists the
>> system
>> BIOS Version as ASUS 42302e31. I read in setup that my BIOS is
>> Award1003, so
>> I am confused as to what model/make my motherboard is. Thanks.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You are posting nonsense. He has an OEM board which
is supported by Sony.

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> Don't worry too much about that because the software program I noted
> in my other link should take care of it.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> PNW girl wrote:
>> I finally opened the chassis and found this model on the
>> motherboard: P4S266-VX. When I typed this model number into ASUS
>> website to obtain BIOS update, it said it was not found. Ready to
>> tear out my hair!
>>
>> "PNW girl" wrote:
>>

>>>I want to update my BIOS and the ASUS website says its needs to
>>>know my motherboard model number. I pressed F2 during startup as
>>>it suggested, but it did not list any BIOS numbers as suggested by
>>>the site.
>>>How do I determine my motherboard model? I have a Sony PCV RX752
>>>running Windows XP for Home. It is a P4, and the system summary
>>>lists the system BIOS Version as ASUS 42302e31. I read in setup
>>>that my BIOS is Award1003, so I am confused as to what model/make
>>>my motherboard is. Thanks.

FYI:

http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/

http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/select-p-n.pl

http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/modelpage.pl?template=EN&mdl=PCVRX752&session_id=7afd4c2ed851e324d8c90f2bb6f27a0c

http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?template=EN&mdl=PCVRX752

Update motherboard BIOS:
http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?template=EN&upd_id=79&os_id=7&mdl=PCVRX752

Looks like you may have lots of reading / exploring to do if you choose.

r.

>I want to update my BIOS and the ASUS website says its needs to know my
> motherboard model number. I pressed F2 during startup as it suggested,
> but
> it did not list any BIOS numbers as suggested by the site.
>
> How do I determine my motherboard model? I have a Sony PCV RX752 running
> Windows XP for Home. It is a P4, and the system summary lists the system
> BIOS Version as ASUS 42302e31. I read in setup that my BIOS is Award1003,
> so
> I am confused as to what model/make my motherboard is. Thanks.

Probably a she since it is PNW *girl* and either way, I missed the part
about it being a Sony machine. Also, I kind of wonder what the software
would have said because it is an ASUS board even though it may not be
listed on their site.

----
Nathan McNulty

Frank wrote:
> You are posting nonsense. He has an OEM board which
> is supported by Sony.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Don't worry too much about that because the software program I noted
>>in my other link should take care of it.
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>PNW girl wrote:
>>
>>>I finally opened the chassis and found this model on the
>>>motherboard: P4S266-VX. When I typed this model number into ASUS
>>>website to obtain BIOS update, it said it was not found. Ready to
>>>tear out my hair!

I've tried most of these w/o luck, but will explore them again. Thanks for
your help. BTW I emailed Sony explaining I had been to the site and asking
for help, but just got a canned reply back telling me to check their website.
Been there, done that! And they say Sony has sorry support....

"namniar" wrote:

> FYI:
>
> http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/
>
> http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/select-p-n.pl
>
> http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/modelpage.pl?template=EN&mdl=PCVRX752&session_id=7afd4c2ed851e324d8c90f2bb6f27a0c
>
> http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?template=EN&mdl=PCVRX752
>
> Update motherboard BIOS:
> http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?template=EN&upd_id=79&os_id=7&mdl=PCVRX752
>

> Looks like you may have lots of reading / exploring to do if you choose.
>
> r.
>

> "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
> >I want to update my BIOS and the ASUS website says its needs to know my
> > motherboard model number. I pressed F2 during startup as it suggested,
> > but
> > it did not list any BIOS numbers as suggested by the site.
> >
> > How do I determine my motherboard model? I have a Sony PCV RX752 running
> > Windows XP for Home. It is a P4, and the system summary lists the system
> > BIOS Version as ASUS 42302e31. I read in setup that my BIOS is Award1003,
> > so
> > I am confused as to what model/make my motherboard is. Thanks.

dl

If you dont know what a zip file is, do you really think you should try
flashing a bios?
If it goes wrong yr sys may be unuseable!

> I don't understand. The link you sent consists of zipped files. What do
> they do?
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>
> > Try using ASUS Update software from here:
> > http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/Asusupdt52801.zip
> >
> > This program automatically knows what motherboard you have and knows if
> > there is a BIOS update available and will update the BIOS for you from
> > within XP ;)
> >
> > ----
> > Nathan McNulty
> >

> > PNW girl wrote:
> > > I want to update my BIOS and the ASUS website says its needs to know
my
> > > motherboard model number. I pressed F2 during startup as it
suggested, but
> > > it did not list any BIOS numbers as suggested by the site.
> > >
> > > How do I determine my motherboard model? I have a Sony PCV RX752
running
> > > Windows XP for Home. It is a P4, and the system summary lists the
system
> > > BIOS Version as ASUS 42302e31. I read in setup that my BIOS is
Award1003, so
> > > I am confused as to what model/make my motherboard is. Thanks.

Only it is a software program that flashes from within XP and pretty
much can't be messed up. Also, she needs to use the Install.exe file
contained in the zip file to install the software which I think she may
have figured out.

I am not sure if this board is supported by the software or not, but at
the time of originally posting, I missed the Sony part of the message
and thought perhaps it was either unlisted or a regional board.

----
Nathan McNulty

DL wrote:
> If you dont know what a zip file is, do you really think you should try
> flashing a bios?
> If it goes wrong yr sys may be unuseable!
>
> "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>I don't understand. The link you sent consists of zipped files. What do
>>they do?
>>
>>"Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>>

>>>Try using ASUS Update software from here:
>>>http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/Asusupdt52801.zip
>>>
>>>This program automatically knows what motherboard you have and knows if
>>>there is a BIOS update available and will update the BIOS for you from
>>>within XP ;)
>>>
>>>----
>>>Nathan McNulty

> my

> suggested, but

> running

> system

> Award1003, so

Typical smart-butt answer, friend! Of course I know what a zip file is. The
responder merely said he was sending me a link to a website and instead the
link downloaded some zipped files I just needed to know why before I
unzipped them - with the viruses going on these days, I don't think that is
inappropriate or ignorant. It amazes me how many people would rather
criticize than actually be of help. Back off, partner!

"DL" wrote:

> If you dont know what a zip file is, do you really think you should try
> flashing a bios?
> If it goes wrong yr sys may be unuseable!
>
> "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
> > I don't understand. The link you sent consists of zipped files. What do
> > they do?
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
> >
> > > Try using ASUS Update software from here:
> > > http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/Asusupdt52801.zip
> > >
> > > This program automatically knows what motherboard you have and knows if
> > > there is a BIOS update available and will update the BIOS for you from
> > > within XP ;)
> > >
> > > ----
> > > Nathan McNulty

> my
> suggested, but

> running
> system
> Award1003, so

Thank you for the clarification. I was worried about opening the file.
You've been very helpful and I appreciate it very much.

Frank wrote:
> You are posting nonsense. He has an OEM board which

Of course he's posting nonsense - he's Nathan McFaulty! You can hardly
expect him to read a post and actually post an educated reply! I mean, come
on! You'll be expecting Bush to grow a brain next!

lose his marbles?

Bush doesn't need to grow a brain. He'll just continue to use everyone
elses. And who ever said I read the post? ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>
>>You are posting nonsense. He has an OEM board which
>

> Of course he's posting nonsense - he's Nathan McFaulty! You can hardly
> expect him to read a post and actually post an educated reply! I mean, come
> on! You'll be expecting Bush to grow a brain next!

dl

The response was as a result of reading all yr posts.
PS I agree Sony support is non existant, their usual answer is to use the
Sony recovery cd.

> Typical smart-butt answer, friend! Of course I know what a zip file is.
The
> responder merely said he was sending me a link to a website and instead
the
> link downloaded some zipped files I just needed to know why before I
> unzipped them - with the viruses going on these days, I don't think that
is
> inappropriate or ignorant. It amazes me how many people would rather
> criticize than actually be of help. Back off, partner!
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > If you dont know what a zip file is, do you really think you should try
> > flashing a bios?
> > If it goes wrong yr sys may be unuseable!
> >
> > "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > I don't understand. The link you sent consists of zipped files. What
do
> > > they do?

> > my
> > suggested, but

> > running
> > system
> > Award1003, so

DL, I am not sure what this means either, but it sounds like a slight dig.
Isn't this a HELP forum??? If I was an expert, I'd be GIVING advice rather
than asking for it. I've been working with computers for over 25 years,
starting from the outside in. Haven't learned it all yet, but I do my
darnedest! If I get the terminology wrong or get headed in the wrong
direction, don't shoot me buck-o. I was THERE when zipped/compressed files
were the newest rage those many years ago. (Guess I'm really a Pacific
Northwest Woman rather than a PNW girl.) Can you say 24-inch removable
back-up disk, COBALT, or command-driven software? How about UNIX, INFORMIX,
DOS, BASIC???

A more helpful response would be to let me know what you mean to FLASH a
BIOS, and to maybe suggest I don't or do need to update my BIOS to install a
USB 2.0 card, or to let me know how exactly to enable my BIOS for 2.0, get my
drift?

Thanks for stopping by my post. If you ever need my help, please let me
know. I am a killer end-user, among other things.

"DL" wrote:

> The response was as a result of reading all yr posts.
> PS I agree Sony support is non existant, their usual answer is to use the
> Sony recovery cd.
>
> "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Typical smart-butt answer, friend! Of course I know what a zip file is.
> The
> > responder merely said he was sending me a link to a website and instead
> the
> > link downloaded some zipped files I just needed to know why before I
> > unzipped them - with the viruses going on these days, I don't think that
> is
> > inappropriate or ignorant. It amazes me how many people would rather
> > criticize than actually be of help. Back off, partner!
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> > > If you dont know what a zip file is, do you really think you should try
> > > flashing a bios?
> > > If it goes wrong yr sys may be unuseable!
> > >
> > > "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
> do

> if
> from

> know
> > > my
> > > suggested, but

> > > running
> > > system
> > > Award1003, so

dl

It was'nt meant to be a dig.
Perhaps its a question of you speak us english I speak uk english, a
different language? :)

> DL, I am not sure what this means either, but it sounds like a slight dig.
> Isn't this a HELP forum??? If I was an expert, I'd be GIVING advice
rather
> than asking for it. I've been working with computers for over 25 years,
> starting from the outside in. Haven't learned it all yet, but I do my
> darnedest! If I get the terminology wrong or get headed in the wrong
> direction, don't shoot me buck-o. I was THERE when zipped/compressed
files
> were the newest rage those many years ago. (Guess I'm really a Pacific
> Northwest Woman rather than a PNW girl.) Can you say 24-inch removable
> back-up disk, COBALT, or command-driven software? How about UNIX,
INFORMIX,
> DOS, BASIC???
>
> A more helpful response would be to let me know what you mean to FLASH a
> BIOS, and to maybe suggest I don't or do need to update my BIOS to install
> USB 2.0 card, or to let me know how exactly to enable my BIOS for 2.0, get
my
> drift?
>
> Thanks for stopping by my post. If you ever need my help, please let me
> know. I am a killer end-user, among other things.
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > The response was as a result of reading all yr posts.
> > PS I agree Sony support is non existant, their usual answer is to use
the
> > Sony recovery cd.
> >
> > "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > Typical smart-butt answer, friend! Of course I know what a zip file
is.
> > The
> > > responder merely said he was sending me a link to a website and
instead
> > the
> > > link downloaded some zipped files I just needed to know why before I
> > > unzipped them - with the viruses going on these days, I don't think
that
> > is
> > > inappropriate or ignorant. It amazes me how many people would rather
> > > criticize than actually be of help. Back off, partner!

What
> > do

> > if
> > from

> > know

RX752
Thanks.

Thank you for the clarification. I was being tounge-in-cheek with my replies
and hope it did not come across offensively as it was not meant to be. I
appreciate your taking the time to help me with this. Have a great weekend
when it finally gets here.

"DL" wrote:

> It was'nt meant to be a dig.
> Perhaps its a question of you speak us english I speak uk english, a
> different language? :)
>
> "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
> > DL, I am not sure what this means either, but it sounds like a slight dig.
> > Isn't this a HELP forum??? If I was an expert, I'd be GIVING advice
> rather
> > than asking for it. I've been working with computers for over 25 years,
> > starting from the outside in. Haven't learned it all yet, but I do my
> > darnedest! If I get the terminology wrong or get headed in the wrong
> > direction, don't shoot me buck-o. I was THERE when zipped/compressed
> files
> > were the newest rage those many years ago. (Guess I'm really a Pacific
> > Northwest Woman rather than a PNW girl.) Can you say 24-inch removable
> > back-up disk, COBALT, or command-driven software? How about UNIX,
> INFORMIX,
> > DOS, BASIC???
> >
> > A more helpful response would be to let me know what you mean to FLASH a
> > BIOS, and to maybe suggest I don't or do need to update my BIOS to install
> > USB 2.0 card, or to let me know how exactly to enable my BIOS for 2.0, get
> my
> > drift?
> >
> > Thanks for stopping by my post. If you ever need my help, please let me
> > know. I am a killer end-user, among other things.
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> > > The response was as a result of reading all yr posts.
> > > PS I agree Sony support is non existant, their usual answer is to use
> the
> > > Sony recovery cd.
> > >
> > > "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
> is.
> > > The
> instead
> > > the
> that
> > > is

> try

> What
> > > do

> knows
> > > if
> you
> > > from

> > > know

> RX752
> the
> is
> Thanks.

dl

BTW there is a body of opinion, often expressed in ng's, that a bios
should'nt be updated unless to cure a specific problem or get extra
functionality.

> Thank you for the clarification. I was being tounge-in-cheek with my
replies
> and hope it did not come across offensively as it was not meant to be. I
> appreciate your taking the time to help me with this. Have a great
weekend
> when it finally gets here.
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > It was'nt meant to be a dig.
> > Perhaps its a question of you speak us english I speak uk english, a
> > different language? :)
> >
> > "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > DL, I am not sure what this means either, but it sounds like a slight
dig.
> > > Isn't this a HELP forum??? If I was an expert, I'd be GIVING advice
> > rather
> > > than asking for it. I've been working with computers for over 25
years,
> > > starting from the outside in. Haven't learned it all yet, but I do my
> > > darnedest! If I get the terminology wrong or get headed in the wrong
> > > direction, don't shoot me buck-o. I was THERE when zipped/compressed
> > files
> > > were the newest rage those many years ago. (Guess I'm really a
Pacific
> > > Northwest Woman rather than a PNW girl.) Can you say 24-inch
removable
> > > back-up disk, COBALT, or command-driven software? How about UNIX,
> > INFORMIX,
> > > DOS, BASIC???
> > >
> > > A more helpful response would be to let me know what you mean to FLASH
> > > BIOS, and to maybe suggest I don't or do need to update my BIOS to
install
> > > USB 2.0 card, or to let me know how exactly to enable my BIOS for 2.0,
get
> > my
> > > drift?
> > >
> > > Thanks for stopping by my post. If you ever need my help, please let
me
> > > know. I am a killer end-user, among other things.

> > the

> > is.
> > instead
> > that

> > try

> > What

> > knows
> > you

PCV
> > RX752
> > the
BIOS
> > is
> > Thanks.

Agree.

r.

"DL" <dl@spoofmail.nothere> wrote in message
> BTW there is a body of opinion, often expressed in ng's, that a bios
> should'nt be updated unless to cure a specific problem or get extra
> functionality.
>
> "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you for the clarification. I was being tounge-in-cheek with my
> replies
>> and hope it did not come across offensively as it was not meant to be. I
>> appreciate your taking the time to help me with this. Have a great
> weekend
>> when it finally gets here.
>>
>> "DL" wrote:
>>
>> > It was'nt meant to be a dig.
>> > Perhaps its a question of you speak us english I speak uk english, a
>> > different language? :)
>> >
>> > "PNW girl" <lizbet214@msn.com> wrote in message
> dig.
>> > rather
> years,
>> > files
> Pacific
> removable
>> > INFORMIX,

> install
> get
>> > my

> me

> use
>> > the

> file
>> > is.
>> > instead
> before I
> think
>> > that
> rather

> should
>> > try

> files.
>> > What

> and
>> > knows
> for
>> > you

> needs
> it

> PCV
>> > RX752
> lists
>> > the
> BIOS
>> > is
>> > Thanks.

Thank you and everyone else who tried to help me with this problem. I think
I was trying to crack a nut by hitting it with a sledgehammer. Take care!