P4VMM2 motherboard problem BIOS WILL NOT BOOT

I just purchased this motherboard and put in a 2gig celeron processor.
I purchased two 128MB PC2100 266Mhz DDR RAM chips (they are also
PC1600 compatible). I checked the traces on the back of the
motherboard to make sure what wires the grounds go to on the power
switch and reset switch. I have not hooked up any drives yet. I want
to get the bios to boot before I take parts from another computer. It
has onboard video. When that didnt work I hooked up an old Voodoo 3
to the agp slot. The monitor would kick on but there was no signal so
it just went into power management mode. The power supply on the case
is around 500watts so that cant be the problem. The only thing I can
think of is, the case does not have screws that hold the motherboard
down. Instead it has these metal clips that go through the screw
holes in the motherboard and hold it down. They seem to be making a
good connection and they are holding the board in place. If you have
any suggestions please let me know.

thanks
Dave

Smoker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004

"My Name" <moviemaniac2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just purchased this motherboard and put in a 2gig celeron processor.
> I purchased two 128MB PC2100 266Mhz DDR RAM chips (they are also
> PC1600 compatible). I checked the traces on the back of the
> motherboard to make sure what wires the grounds go to on the power
> switch and reset switch. I have not hooked up any drives yet. I want
> to get the bios to boot before I take parts from another computer. It
> has onboard video. When that didnt work I hooked up an old Voodoo 3
> to the agp slot. The monitor would kick on but there was no signal so
> it just went into power management mode. The power supply on the case
> is around 500watts so that cant be the problem. The only thing I can
> think of is, the case does not have screws that hold the motherboard
> down. Instead it has these metal clips that go through the screw
> holes in the motherboard and hold it down. They seem to be making a
> good connection and they are holding the board in place. If you have
> any suggestions please let me know.

There's a lot more to a power supply than how many watts the manufacturer
claims it is. People buy PowMax 500W units because they're cheap and they're
also garbage that don't work well or last long. Unless you have a good name
brand like Enermax, Antec, etc., think about the PSU being the culprit
first.

"Smoker" <nospam@x.y> wrote in message

| "My Name" <moviemaniac2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > I just purchased this motherboard and put in a 2gig celeron
processor.
| > I purchased two 128MB PC2100 266Mhz DDR RAM chips (they are also
| > PC1600 compatible). I checked the traces on the back of the
| > motherboard to make sure what wires the grounds go to on the power
| > switch and reset switch. I have not hooked up any drives yet. I
want
| > to get the bios to boot before I take parts from another computer.
It
| > has onboard video. When that didnt work I hooked up an old Voodoo
3
| > to the agp slot. The monitor would kick on but there was no
signal so
| > it just went into power management mode. The power supply on the
case
| > is around 500watts so that cant be the problem. The only thing I
can
| > think of is, the case does not have screws that hold the
motherboard
| > down. Instead it has these metal clips that go through the screw
| > holes in the motherboard and hold it down. They seem to be making
| > good connection and they are holding the board in place. If you
have
| > any suggestions please let me know.
| >
| There's a lot more to a power supply than how many watts the
manufacturer
| claims it is. People buy PowMax 500W units because they're cheap and
they're
| also garbage that don't work well or last long. Unless you have a
good name
| brand like Enermax, Antec, etc., think about the PSU being the
culprit
| first.

I am using a Powmax 300w PS that is about 2 years old now. It powered
my k7s5a based system for a long time and now resides in an Asus
A7N8X-DLX system. One of the internal fans did start to have a problem
recently, and lubing up the bearing fixed that problem. Other than the
fan failure, the PS has been rock solid powering a 1.4G Tbird and now
a Duron 1600 (running at 2000 MHz) system. For the $25 it cost me,
I'd buy another one.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

"Smoker" <nospam@x.y> wrote in message news:<HBOCc.40479$MW4.35470@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>...
> "My Name" <moviemaniac2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I just purchased this motherboard and put in a 2gig celeron processor.
> > I purchased two 128MB PC2100 266Mhz DDR RAM chips (they are also
> > PC1600 compatible). I checked the traces on the back of the
> > motherboard to make sure what wires the grounds go to on the power
> > switch and reset switch. I have not hooked up any drives yet. I want
> > to get the bios to boot before I take parts from another computer. It
> > has onboard video. When that didnt work I hooked up an old Voodoo 3
> > to the agp slot. The monitor would kick on but there was no signal so
> > it just went into power management mode. The power supply on the case
> > is around 500watts so that cant be the problem. The only thing I can
> > think of is, the case does not have screws that hold the motherboard
> > down. Instead it has these metal clips that go through the screw
> > holes in the motherboard and hold it down. They seem to be making a
> > good connection and they are holding the board in place. If you have
> > any suggestions please let me know.
> >
> There's a lot more to a power supply than how many watts the manufacturer
> claims it is. People buy PowMax 500W units because they're cheap and they're
> also garbage that don't work well or last long. Unless you have a good name
> brand like Enermax, Antec, etc., think about the PSU being the culprit
> first.

Well I hooked up an amd 500 motherboard that I know works and all that
came on was the fan on the motherboard and the power supply fan. I
guess I will try swapping out the power supply in the case.

Test power supply first, or swap it out buy one, use it to test, return it
if you have no problems

More than likely I suspect you might actually have the pins on the board all
incorrect.

9 times out of 10 the text on the pins that connect to your motherboard
nearest the case. Try that. If not, double check your CPU is seated
correctly and that if it didn't come with some thermal paste on the
heatsink, that you get some and add it.

Hope this helps.
The Tech Support Guy

www.ComputerRelative.com

"My Name" <moviemaniac2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just purchased this motherboard and put in a 2gig celeron processor.
> I purchased two 128MB PC2100 266Mhz DDR RAM chips (they are also
> PC1600 compatible). I checked the traces on the back of the
> motherboard to make sure what wires the grounds go to on the power
> switch and reset switch. I have not hooked up any drives yet. I want
> to get the bios to boot before I take parts from another computer. It
> has onboard video. When that didnt work I hooked up an old Voodoo 3
> to the agp slot. The monitor would kick on but there was no signal so
> it just went into power management mode. The power supply on the case
> is around 500watts so that cant be the problem. The only thing I can
> think of is, the case does not have screws that hold the motherboard
> down. Instead it has these metal clips that go through the screw
> holes in the motherboard and hold it down. They seem to be making a
> good connection and they are holding the board in place. If you have
> any suggestions please let me know.
>
> thanks
> Dave

I changed out the power supply and it booted right up.