My Samsung Optical Mouse (SOM-700X) all of a sudden
started behaving abnormally on my XP Operating System.
The curser suddenly jumps from its current position to
some corner part of the screen. I suspected a virus. But
Norton 2002 reported no virus (virus definition dated
28th Sept 2004). I used spybot to delete any new ad &
spyware. I tried unstalling the mouse driver and
instaling it again. But with no results. What could be
the problem. I had downloaded and installed Samsung Mouse
Driver Version SM1000 XP since there is no drivers listed
for SOM 700X. It just worked fine initially, before the
problem started and I tried uninstalling it but with no
effect to my problem.

"J.P. Sinha" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<070a01c4a5ef$2136c1e0$a401280a@phx.gbl>...
> My Samsung Optical Mouse (SOM-700X) all of a sudden
> started behaving abnormally on my XP Operating System.
> The curser suddenly jumps from its current position to
> some corner part of the screen. I suspected a virus. But
> Norton 2002 reported no virus (virus definition dated
> 28th Sept 2004). I used spybot to delete any new ad &
> spyware. I tried unstalling the mouse driver and
> instaling it again. But with no results. What could be
> the problem. I had downloaded and installed Samsung Mouse
> Driver Version SM1000 XP since there is no drivers listed
> for SOM 700X. It just worked fine initially, before the
> problem started and I tried uninstalling it but with no
> effect to my problem.

Saw this once, and I think it's the same gag I ran on a co-worker.

Move your mouse pointer to each corner of the screen. If it's the
same gag, one corner will turn the gag off along with an announcement
that you just got pranked. Hope it's nothing else...

My Logitech optical periodically does this too about once/twice a day. No
idea why.

Surface should be clean, smooth and black for best results with opticals I
read somewhere (true or not). Apparently designed mouse pads (ie
multicoloured, pictures, etc.) play havoc with opticals.

r.

"J.P. Sinha" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Samsung Optical Mouse (SOM-700X) all of a sudden
> started behaving abnormally on my XP Operating System.
> The curser suddenly jumps from its current position to
> some corner part of the screen. I suspected a virus. But
> Norton 2002 reported no virus (virus definition dated
> 28th Sept 2004). I used spybot to delete any new ad &
> spyware. I tried unstalling the mouse driver and
> instaling it again. But with no results. What could be
> the problem. I had downloaded and installed Samsung Mouse
> Driver Version SM1000 XP since there is no drivers listed
> for SOM 700X. It just worked fine initially, before the
> problem started and I tried uninstalling it but with no
> effect to my problem.

if it is the kind that works on the 'rolling ball' principle, you may want
to remove the ball and clean the rollers inside..

"J.P. Sinha" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Samsung Optical Mouse (SOM-700X) all of a sudden
> started behaving abnormally on my XP Operating System.
> The curser suddenly jumps from its current position to
> some corner part of the screen. I suspected a virus. But
> Norton 2002 reported no virus (virus definition dated
> 28th Sept 2004). I used spybot to delete any new ad &
> spyware. I tried unstalling the mouse driver and
> instaling it again. But with no results. What could be
> the problem. I had downloaded and installed Samsung Mouse
> Driver Version SM1000 XP since there is no drivers listed
> for SOM 700X. It just worked fine initially, before the
> problem started and I tried uninstalling it but with no
> effect to my problem.

Hmm, "My Samsung Optical Mouse..."

r.

"Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> if it is the kind that works on the 'rolling ball' principle, you may want
> to remove the ball and clean the rollers inside..
>

> "J.P. Sinha" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My Samsung Optical Mouse (SOM-700X) all of a sudden
>> started behaving abnormally on my XP Operating System.
>> The curser suddenly jumps from its current position to
>> some corner part of the screen. I suspected a virus. But
>> Norton 2002 reported no virus (virus definition dated
>> 28th Sept 2004). I used spybot to delete any new ad &
>> spyware. I tried unstalling the mouse driver and
>> instaling it again. But with no results. What could be
>> the problem. I had downloaded and installed Samsung Mouse
>> Driver Version SM1000 XP since there is no drivers listed
>> for SOM 700X. It just worked fine initially, before the
>> problem started and I tried uninstalling it but with no
>> effect to my problem.

Forget my first reply.. I can see that today is going to be 'one of those
days'..

"J.P. Sinha" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Samsung Optical Mouse (SOM-700X) all of a sudden
> started behaving abnormally on my XP Operating System.
> The curser suddenly jumps from its current position to
> some corner part of the screen. I suspected a virus. But
> Norton 2002 reported no virus (virus definition dated
> 28th Sept 2004). I used spybot to delete any new ad &
> spyware. I tried unstalling the mouse driver and
> instaling it again. But with no results. What could be
> the problem. I had downloaded and installed Samsung Mouse
> Driver Version SM1000 XP since there is no drivers listed
> for SOM 700X. It just worked fine initially, before the
> problem started and I tried uninstalling it but with no
> effect to my problem.

The chances are, being an optical mouse it has a hair or some dust
around the light/sensor which is causing the sensor to see the dust
instead of your desk which is confusing it. Turn the mouse over when
the pc is switched off (it's not good to look into the light, it's
very bright) and make sure its clean. If this does not fix it, it may
be possible that one of the wires has become loose and it may need
repairing or more easily, replacing.