Using Win XP pro. Have connected via USB port a
printer, every time I use that same port for my webcam,
the scanner part of my printer will not owrk properly
until I remove and re-load XP. Have downloaded the
latest software from printer site (lexamrk...with patch)
but still cannot get proper connection.

If I re-format and load XP..it will be ok until I use
that USB port again...any help appreciated

Is it a port built into the mobo or a PCI card in a slot?
Perhaps it isn't an XP problem, but a hardware problem with
your mobo? Have you updated the BIOS?

"Michael Alexander" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
| Using Win XP pro. Have connected via USB port a
| printer, every time I use that same port for my webcam,
| the scanner part of my printer will not owrk properly
| until I remove and re-load XP. Have downloaded the
| latest software from printer site (lexamrk...with patch)
| but still cannot get proper connection.
|
| If I re-format and load XP..it will be ok until I use
| that USB port again...any help appreciated

The port is built in..and i haven't updated the bios..had
spme problems trying to do some time ago

The BIOS and other mobo drivers are available from the mobo
mfg'rs website. Since the USB is built-in, that is the best
place to start. Get EVEREST from www.lavalys.com to
determine the exact mobo by make/model and serial number.
It will also report the BIOS and details of the drivers
installed.

Get a UPS (battery backed power supply) so you will have
reliable power. Then update the BIOS and drivers. The sure
that the properties for the USB is set to supply power and
not time out.

| The port is built in..and i haven't updated the bios..had
| spme problems trying to do some time ago

| >|
| >| If I re-format and load XP..it will be ok until I use
| >| that USB port again...any help appreciated
| >

| >.

Thanx ..I will try your suggestion. The motherboard is a
gigabyte and using the serial numbe I have tracked down
the update, however when I try to flash the Bios it tells
me that "the bios" is not supported. I will follow your
instructions and report back....thank you

Be sure to follow the instruction, which should be on the
download page for the BIOS update. In general there are two
types of updates, one must be run on a cold boot using a
floppy disk with a DOS bootable and the BIOS update on the
disk. If the BIOS was a zip file, it must be extracted and
copied to the floppy.
The other, newer type is an exe file that will update the
BIOS while Windows is running.

| Thanx ..I will try your suggestion. The motherboard is a
| gigabyte and using the serial numbe I have tracked down
| the update, however when I try to flash the Bios it tells
| me that "the bios" is not supported. I will follow your
| instructions and report back....thank you

| >| >|
| use

| >.

Have updated using your instructions.....thank you.
However the problem is still there with my printer. The
printer shows in the Device manager as an image device
and shows no conflicts. Below that the USB device does
show a conflict and no matter where i look i cannot seem
to find the right driver for. although system32 will
show as being avaiable, but still no driver is found, and
I get a message saying that the device is not properly
installed. In the past I have had to re-format and re-
load winxp to get the thing to work ....????

Delete the USB device that has the problem (you do this in
device manager). hen you reboot it will be detected and the
correct drivers installed. It may be necessary to delete
ALL the USB devices, ports and hubs and reboot to get a
clean driver install.

| Have updated using your instructions.....thank you.
| However the problem is still there with my printer. The
| printer shows in the Device manager as an image device
| and shows no conflicts. Below that the USB device does
| show a conflict and no matter where i look i cannot seem
| to find the right driver for. although system32 will
| show as being avaiable, but still no driver is found, and
| I get a message saying that the device is not properly
| installed. In the past I have had to re-format and re-
| load winxp to get the thing to work ....????

| >| use

| >.

TRENDING THREADS