gone wireless

Is there anyway I can connect my wireless lap top to internete while out of
town? If so How do I?

> Is there anyway I can connect my wireless lap top to internete while out
> of
> town? If so How do I?

When you are in range of a public wireless network you should get a pop-up
bubble on the screen of your laptop, usually in the lower right-hand corner,
that tells you that a New Wireless Network is Available. Click on the bubble
and it will bring up the Wireless Network List. Alternately you can go to
the Control Panel and select Network Connections, right-click on the
Wireless Network adapter and select "View Available Wireless Networks".

If there is a publicly available network in range, like at a hotel,
Starbucks, airport or other area, it should be listed in the available
network list. Just click on the network to select it and click on the
"Connect" button. You should be able to get on-line.

Note: Your Wireless Adapter needs to be Enabled and should probably have the
TCP/IP settings configured to "Obtain IP Address Automatically". This is the
default setting so it may be set that way already.

Be aware that it is NOT always a good idea to just connect to any available
wireless network you see listed in your Available Networks list, such as the
neighbor's network. Aside from being "rude", this could leave you open to
having your web browsing monitored. Even connecting at a hotel or at the
airport can be dangerous.

You may want to read the article "Wireless Warning!" on WWW.EZine.Com:

http://www.ezine.com/TechTips/WirelessWarning.shtml

Also you may want to read Barb Bowman's article on Wireless Security
Standards:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx

Hope this helps.

--