Winxp COM Ports no longer available

Something weird's happened to my winxp installation; doing any type of
reinstall on my development machine is something that I dread. My COM
ports can no longer be opened using the CreateFile API function.
However, a piece of software that interfaces to a chip programmer via
the COM port still works; I guess it's accessing the COM port using
something other than CreateFile, or using a different file name. My
terminal software and other chip programming applications give me
errors similar to the following:

can't open device "com2": The system cannot find the file specified.

I've tried deleting the ports from my device manager and letting XP
"find" them again to no avail. I believe this to be a registry issue.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Alan
alansametnewsgroups@yahoo.com -- pull the newsgroups from my
emailaddress

http://www.htmlwindows.net/
http://www.alansamet.com/
http://www.usfbs.com/
http://www.marshwoodwinds.com/

On 29 Sep 2004 10:58:27 -0700, alansametnewsgroups@yahoo.com
(Alan Samet) wrote:

>Something weird's happened to my winxp installation; doing any type of
>reinstall on my development machine is something that I dread. My COM
>ports can no longer be opened using the CreateFile API function.
>However, a piece of software that interfaces to a chip programmer via
>the COM port still works; I guess it's accessing the COM port using
>something other than CreateFile, or using a different file name. My
>terminal software and other chip programming applications give me
>errors similar to the following:
>
>can't open device "com2": The system cannot find the file specified.
>
>I've tried deleting the ports from my device manager and letting XP
>"find" them again to no avail. I believe this to be a registry issue.
>Thanks in advance for any advice.

Opneing the com ports like files apparently doesn't work like it
does in 2K/NT/98/95. You can still echo bytes to the com port in
XP if needed.