K7S5A: bad caps again

Opened up my Linux box containing a 2-year old K7S5A today to fit a SCSI
card and noticed some swollen caps:

C425 (bottom of AGP slot - AGP voltage?) Luxon 1500uF 6.3v
C58 and C59 (CPU core voltage generator) Luxon 2200uF 6.3v

I'm rather fond of my 'S5A which has been running 24/7 for the last 2
years with almost zero problems, so will be taking the time out to
replace all the major caps. There are:

8 x 1500uF 6.3v
1 x 1500uF 10v
3 x 1800uF 6.3v (these are not Luxon, but marked OST I.Q)
7 x 2200uF 6.3v

All caps are 10mm diameter.

Will also replace the PSU as a precaution (it's a 250W.)
23 answers Last reply
More about k7s5a caps again
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Mike Tomlinson" <mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote in message

    > Opened up my Linux box containing a 2-year old K7S5A today to fit a SCSI
    > card and noticed some swollen caps:
    >
    > C425 (bottom of AGP slot - AGP voltage?) Luxon 1500uF 6.3v
    > C58 and C59 (CPU core voltage generator) Luxon 2200uF 6.3v
    >
    > I'm rather fond of my 'S5A which has been running 24/7 for the last 2
    > years with almost zero problems, so will be taking the time out to
    > replace all the major caps. There are:
    >
    > 8 x 1500uF 6.3v
    > 1 x 1500uF 10v
    > 3 x 1800uF 6.3v (these are not Luxon, but marked OST I.Q)
    > 7 x 2200uF 6.3v
    >
    > All caps are 10mm diameter.
    >
    > Will also replace the PSU as a precaution (it's a 250W.)

    The eight 3300uF caps (6.3V, 105degC, 10mm diameter, 5mm lead spacing) that
    failed on my ECS P4VMM2 also carried the mark of "OST IQ".
    Al-U
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    In article <Ea%Lc.97635$ek5.7992@pd7tw2no>, alpha_uma
    <none_such@home.com> writes

    >The eight 3300uF caps (6.3V, 105degC, 10mm diameter, 5mm lead spacing) that
    >failed on my ECS P4VMM2 also carried the mark of "OST IQ".

    I've ordered replacement caps from Farnell (here in the UK). I wasn't
    able to find 1800uF 6.3v, so have ordered 2200uF 6.3v to replace those.

    These are high-quality, low-impedance, 105C Rubycon caps. For anyone
    who's interested, the Farnell (www.farnell.com/uk/) part numbers are:

    767360 x8 1500uF 6.3v
    769071 x1 1500uF 10v
    768005 x10 2200uF 6.3v

    Half an hour's work should get my 'S5A up and running again. I hope!
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Mike Tomlinson wrote:

    > In article <Ea%Lc.97635$ek5.7992@pd7tw2no>, alpha_uma
    > <none_such@home.com> writes
    >

    >>The eight 3300uF caps (6.3V, 105degC, 10mm diameter, 5mm lead spacing) that
    >>failed on my ECS P4VMM2 also carried the mark of "OST IQ".
    >

    > I've ordered replacement caps from Farnell (here in the UK). I wasn't
    > able to find 1800uF 6.3v, so have ordered 2200uF 6.3v to replace those.
    >
    > These are high-quality, low-impedance, 105C Rubycon caps. For anyone
    > who's interested, the Farnell (www.farnell.com/uk/) part numbers are:
    >
    > 767360 x8 1500uF 6.3v
    > 769071 x1 1500uF 10v
    > 768005 x10 2200uF 6.3v
    >
    > Half an hour's work should get my 'S5A up and running again. I hope!

    Unless you've got the proper tools to desolder multilayer plate through
    boards, I think you'll find it will take a lot longer than half an hour,
    even ignoring the time it'll take to get it out of and back into the
    case. I recently changed ONE capacitor on a motherboard, and I finally
    had to drill out the old solder to avoid damaging nearby components with
    excessive heat; I don't recall how long it took start to finish, but I
    know it was a lot longer than half an hour.

    You might consider snipping out the old cap from the top, leaving enough
    wire to connect to the new one -- if I had it to do over, I think that
    might be the way I'd go.

    The best solution is probably to send it back to the manufacturer (if
    they'll repair it at reasonable cost).

    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Of course, YMMV.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > Mike Tomlinson wrote:
    >
    > > In article <Ea%Lc.97635$ek5.7992@pd7tw2no>, alpha_uma
    > > <none_such@home.com> writes
    > >

    > >>The eight 3300uF caps (6.3V, 105degC, 10mm diameter, 5mm lead spacing)
    that
    > >>failed on my ECS P4VMM2 also carried the mark of "OST IQ".
    > >

    > > I've ordered replacement caps from Farnell (here in the UK). I wasn't
    > > able to find 1800uF 6.3v, so have ordered 2200uF 6.3v to replace those.
    > >
    > > These are high-quality, low-impedance, 105C Rubycon caps. For anyone
    > > who's interested, the Farnell (www.farnell.com/uk/) part numbers are:
    > >
    > > 767360 x8 1500uF 6.3v
    > > 769071 x1 1500uF 10v
    > > 768005 x10 2200uF 6.3v
    > >
    > > Half an hour's work should get my 'S5A up and running again. I hope!
    > >
    > Unless you've got the proper tools to desolder multilayer plate through
    > boards, I think you'll find it will take a lot longer than half an hour,
    > even ignoring the time it'll take to get it out of and back into the
    > case. I recently changed ONE capacitor on a motherboard, and I finally
    > had to drill out the old solder to avoid damaging nearby components with
    > excessive heat; I don't recall how long it took start to finish, but I
    > know it was a lot longer than half an hour.
    >
    > You might consider snipping out the old cap from the top, leaving enough
    > wire to connect to the new one -- if I had it to do over, I think that
    > might be the way I'd go.
    >
    > The best solution is probably to send it back to the manufacturer (if
    > they'll repair it at reasonable cost).
    >
    > Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Of course, YMMV.

    From what Mike has written in his message, I'd bet that he is an electronics
    expert. I don't think your recommendation would apply to Mike.

    It is NOT a good idea to send the motherboard back to the manufacturer for
    repair unless the board is still under warranty. Personally, I don't trust
    them anymore. If bad caps is the only problem with the motherboard, I can
    fix the bad caps myself just as good as any decent technician.

    If the board is already out of warranty, then fixing the bad caps yourself
    is better than paying someone else to fix it for you provided that you have
    the technical know-how because you can buy better quality caps yourself, and
    spend as much time as you like to do the job well.

    Fixing bad electrolytic caps is not rocket science. It only requires
    moderately good soldering skills.
    Al-U
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<410184AB.70805@prodigy.net>...

    > Unless you've got the proper tools to desolder multilayer plate
    > through boards, I think you'll find it will take a lot longer
    > than half an hour, even ignoring the time it'll take to get
    > it out of and back into the case. I recently changed ONE
    > capacitor on a motherboard, and I finally had to drill out
    > the old solder to avoid damaging nearby components with
    > excessive heat;

    > You might consider snipping out the old cap from the top,
    > leaving enough wire to connect to the new one -- if I had it
    > to do over, I think that might be the way I'd go.
    >
    > The best solution is probably to send it back to the manufacturer (if
    > they'll repair it at reasonable cost).

    How many watts is your soldering iron rated for? I had bad luck with
    the usual 25-35 watt irons and found that 40W was the minimum needed
    for good results, with 45-50W being a lot better. Also some
    desoldering wicks soak up much more solder than others, like the
    ultra-fine or braided stuff, and I've been told that "No Clean" brand
    is a favorite among technicians. It really helps to cut off the used
    wick before proceeding tot he next pin. And if the solder doesn't
    melt, sometimes it's best to just add more solder because apparently
    the factory stuff has a higher melting temperature. Regular
    electronics solder is 60% tin, 40% lead, but I once tried some 63% tin
    solder that melted even easier.

    www.mouser.com is sometimes cheaper than Digi-key and has no minimum.
    Another good source is www.bdent.com , but I don't know about their
    minimums.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:45:31 GMT, "alpha_uma" <none_such@home.com> wrote:

    >Fixing bad electrolytic caps is not rocket science. It only requires
    >moderately good soldering skills.
    > Al-U

    I agree.....with caps, you can just heat the solder and "rock" the capacitor
    to get the short wire out of the solder hole.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    TX_Dude wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:45:31 GMT, "alpha_uma" <none_such@home.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Fixing bad electrolytic caps is not rocket science. It only requires
    >>moderately good soldering skills.
    >> Al-U
    >>

    > I agree.....with caps, you can just heat the solder and "rock" the capacitor
    > to get the short wire out of the solder hole.

    Good luck with that.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    alpha_uma wrote:

    > "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mike Tomlinson wrote:
    >>

    >>>In article <Ea%Lc.97635$ek5.7992@pd7tw2no>, alpha_uma
    >>><none_such@home.com> writes

    > that

    >>>I've ordered replacement caps from Farnell (here in the UK). I wasn't
    >>>able to find 1800uF 6.3v, so have ordered 2200uF 6.3v to replace those.
    >>>
    >>>These are high-quality, low-impedance, 105C Rubycon caps. For anyone
    >>>who's interested, the Farnell (www.farnell.com/uk/) part numbers are:
    >>>
    >>>767360 x8 1500uF 6.3v
    >>>769071 x1 1500uF 10v
    >>>768005 x10 2200uF 6.3v
    >>>
    >>>Half an hour's work should get my 'S5A up and running again. I hope!
    >>>

    >>Unless you've got the proper tools to desolder multilayer plate through
    >>boards, I think you'll find it will take a lot longer than half an hour,
    >>even ignoring the time it'll take to get it out of and back into the
    >>case. I recently changed ONE capacitor on a motherboard, and I finally
    >>had to drill out the old solder to avoid damaging nearby components with
    >>excessive heat; I don't recall how long it took start to finish, but I
    >>know it was a lot longer than half an hour.
    >>
    >>You might consider snipping out the old cap from the top, leaving enough
    >>wire to connect to the new one -- if I had it to do over, I think that
    >>might be the way I'd go.
    >>
    >>The best solution is probably to send it back to the manufacturer (if
    >>they'll repair it at reasonable cost).
    >>
    >>Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Of course, YMMV.
    >>

    > From what Mike has written in his message, I'd bet that he is an electronics
    > expert. I don't think your recommendation would apply to Mike.

    Like I said, if he's got the right tools ...

    I'm a degreed engineer; knowledge of what needs to be done isn't the
    problem.

    > It is NOT a good idea to send the motherboard back to the manufacturer for
    > repair unless the board is still under warranty. Personally, I don't trust
    > them anymore. If bad caps is the only problem with the motherboard, I can
    > fix the bad caps myself just as good as any decent technician.

    That's what I thought, too, and in fact I did accomplish it, but it took
    a lot more effort than I expected.

    > If the board is already out of warranty, then fixing the bad caps yourself
    > is better than paying someone else to fix it for you provided that you have
    > the technical know-how because you can buy better quality caps yourself, and
    > spend as much time as you like to do the job well.

    I sent one in which had a bunch of bad caps and the manufacturer turned
    it around in a couple of days for 20 bucks. I couldn't even see the
    repairs. That's hard to beat.

    > Fixing bad electrolytic caps is not rocket science. It only requires
    > moderately good soldering skills.
    > Al-U

    YMMV.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > I sent one in which had a bunch of bad caps and the manufacturer turned
    > it around in a couple of days for 20 bucks. I couldn't even see the
    > repairs. That's hard to beat.

    It is hard to beat twenty dollars! Does that include shipping both ways?

    BTW, did you send yours directly back to ECS? Where are they located? How
    long is the official warranty for a typical ECS motherboard? One year, two
    years, or less?

    It costs me about 8 US$ to replace eight 3300uF electrolytics at DigiKey
    prices, but, of course, I have to buy more than just the 8 caps from DigiKey
    in order to meet their minimum order amount without "penalty". And, of
    course, time is money too. But, as you know, the tremendous satisfaction
    later that you diagnosed it and fixed it yourself--priceless!

    I wonder if the repair of the bad caps on your motherboard was done by a
    machine instead of a human hand. Are you sure they didn't just replace your
    board with another (used) one?

    Al-U
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    alpha_uma wrote:

    > "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >
    >>I sent one in which had a bunch of bad caps and the manufacturer turned
    >>it around in a couple of days for 20 bucks. I couldn't even see the
    >>repairs. That's hard to beat.
    >>

    > It is hard to beat twenty dollars! Does that include shipping both ways?

    No, one way shipping only, but I think it was only about 5 bucks to ship
    it to them Fed Ex Ground (I wasn't counting that in the "couple of days
    to turn it around." I was without the board for about a week and a
    half, as I recall.).

    Of course, new motherboards are pretty cheap nowadays, too. I chose to
    stick with the one I had because otherwise I would have had to buy new
    memory, too.

    > BTW, did you send yours directly back to ECS? Where are they located? How
    > long is the official warranty for a typical ECS motherboard? One year, two
    > years, or less?

    The particular motherboard involved was an EPOX; I imagine ECS might
    have a similar program in place, but I don't know any details. You'd
    have to contact them.

    I suspect the MB manufacturers have struck a deal with the supplier
    of the bad caps that lets them recoup some of the costs, given the
    potential for law suits.

    http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

    > It costs me about 8 US$ to replace eight 3300uF electrolytics at DigiKey
    > prices, but, of course, I have to buy more than just the 8 caps from DigiKey
    > in order to meet their minimum order amount without "penalty". And, of
    > course, time is money too. But, as you know, the tremendous satisfaction
    > later that you diagnosed it and fixed it yourself--priceless!
    >
    > I wonder if the repair of the bad caps on your motherboard was done by a
    > machine instead of a human hand. Are you sure they didn't just replace your
    > board with another (used) one?

    I got back the same board (I marked it). I don't know what magic they
    might have used to fix it, but the caps were definitely replaced (they
    were leaking and bulging -- easy to identify).

    > Al-U

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    In article <410184AB.70805@prodigy.net>, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net>
    writes

    >Unless you've got the proper tools to desolder multilayer plate through
    >boards,

    Sorry, I should have mentioned: we've got a decent temperature-
    controlled vacuum desoldering station at work I can use. I'd planned to
    cut each cap away, remove the legs separately, then use the desoldering
    station to clear the holes.

    Though I agree that it may take longer than half an hour :) Thanks for
    the warning.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    > In article <410184AB.70805@prodigy.net>, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net>
    > writes
    >
    > >Unless you've got the proper tools to desolder multilayer plate through
    > >boards,
    >
    > Sorry, I should have mentioned: we've got a decent temperature-
    > controlled vacuum desoldering station at work I can use. I'd planned to
    > cut each cap away, remove the legs separately, then use the desoldering
    > station to clear the holes.
    >
    > Though I agree that it may take longer than half an hour :) Thanks for
    > the warning.

    Hey, Mike,

    Have you fixed it yet?

    Al-U
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    In article <nNFNc.129576$ek5.11297@pd7tw2no>, alpha_uma
    <no_one@nonesuch.com> writes

    >Hey, Mike,
    >
    >Have you fixed it yet?

    Hi Al,

    I have the replacement caps but haven't had a chance to fit them yet;
    have been away on a Cisco course. Will post back early next week.

    Mike
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:13:26 +0100, Mike Tomlinson <mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk>
    wrote:

    >The machine also does not seem to be running as hot; the air exhaust
    >from the PSU is markedly cooler, and lm-sensors says the CPU temp is
    >48C; it used to be about 53-54C. This is a Duron 1300 overclocked to
    >1400. I'm using the HoneyX BIOS.
    >
    >Replacing all the caps took about an hour. But I don't think I would
    >bother doing it again on a cheap board.
    >
    >Mike

    Where did you get the replacement caps from?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    In the US, I got replacement caps at www.electronix.com.

    dan

    TX_Dude wrote:

    > Where did you get the replacement caps from?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    In article <1apog0p2vo639hll6m8f2qvb91d26lbtag@4ax.com>, TX_Dude
    <ric.duncan@verizon.net> writes

    >Where did you get the replacement caps from?

    I'm in the UK, so got them from Farnell. Here's the info from an
    earlier post:

    "I wasn't able to find 1800uF 6.3v, so have ordered 2200uF 6.3v to
    "replace those.

    "These are high-quality, low-impedance, 105C Rubycon caps. For anyone
    "who's interested, the Farnell (www.farnell.com/uk/) part numbers are:

    "767360 x8 1500uF 6.3v
    "769071 x1 1500uF 10v
    "768005 x10 2200uF 6.3v

    Total cost was ukp9 (about us$16) including delivery.

    --
    ..sigmonster on vacation
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    FWIW, I get mine from Digikey -- www.digikey.com

    > dan
    >

    > TX_Dude wrote:
    >
    >> Where did you get the replacement caps from?

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:36:19 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:

    >dan wrote:
    >
    >> In the US, I got replacement caps at www.electronix.com.
    >>

    >FWIW, I get mine from Digikey -- www.digikey.com

    What was the total costs?

    I've got one MSI 6330 board and 2 K7S5A's
    All of these boards work, but usually lock up or become
    stable after 30 minutes. I've already replaced em all
    with new boards and these are just sitting on the
    shelf.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    TX_Dude wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:36:19 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >

    >>dan wrote:
    >>

    >>>In the US, I got replacement caps at www.electronix.com.
    >>>

    >>FWIW, I get mine from Digikey -- www.digikey.com
    >>

    > What was the total costs?
    >
    > I've got one MSI 6330 board and 2 K7S5A's
    > All of these boards work, but usually lock up or become
    > stable after 30 minutes. I've already replaced em all
    > with new boards and these are just sitting on the
    > shelf.

    Every board will be different, depending on how many of what caps
    it uses. Probably between $10 and $20, plus whatever your time is
    worth. As I recall, Digikey has a $25 minimum if you want to avoid
    extra handling charges.

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    electronix.com had a $10 minimum when I ordered.

    I didn't buy for a K7S5A, but each cap was about 75 cents.

    dan

    TX_Dude wrote:

    > What was the total costs?

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    dan wrote:

    > electronix.com had a $10 minimum when I ordered.
    >
    > I didn't buy for a K7S5A, but each cap was about 75 cents.

    That sounds pretty cheap for 105 degree low ESR caps. Maybe
    even too cheap.

    > dan
    >
    > TX_Dude wrote:
    >

    >> What was the total costs?

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Fry's Electronics has several new K7S5A Pro v.5.0 boards for $38.

    Pj

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:21:13 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:

    >dan wrote:
    >
    >> electronix.com had a $10 minimum when I ordered.
    >>
    >> I didn't buy for a K7S5A, but each cap was about 75 cents.
    >
    >That sounds pretty cheap for 105 degree low ESR caps. Maybe
    >even too cheap.
    >

    >> dan
    >>
    >> TX_Dude wrote:
    >>

    >>> What was the total costs?

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Which Fry's......the one in Plano?

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:29:51 -0500, PJx <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    > Fry's Electronics has several new K7S5A Pro v.5.0 boards for $38.
    >
    >Pj
    >

    >On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:21:13 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>dan wrote:
    >>
    >>> electronix.com had a $10 minimum when I ordered.
    >>>
    >>> I didn't buy for a K7S5A, but each cap was about 75 cents.
    >>
    >>That sounds pretty cheap for 105 degree low ESR caps. Maybe
    >>even too cheap.
    >>

    >>> dan

Elitegroup Motherboards