ECS K7S5A Best Bios high heat

I have an ECS k7s5a 1.0 board with ami bios 07.00t dated 4/2/01 . The system
locks up after about 1/2 hour from boot when running at CPU/Memory speed of
133/133 with an AMD Palomino XP 2000. Also runs rather hot (50-59 C) at this
speed. I can run it stable at 100/133, but want to get the most out of the
CPU,

I would like to know what the best, stable bios would be for this combo,
also, been a while since I flashed a bios, what is the best safest way to
flash?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about k7s5a bios high heat
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Well, a bios update is practically manditory, becuase they were not very
    stable. Though that is not likely you problem. What you need is a
    better heatsink/fan also, because most AMD cpu's crash at 65 degree c,
    more or less. and you certainly are close to that. When you slow don the
    bus speed, you lower the temp, and it does not crash. One other issue
    this MB has is it does not like 2 sticks of sdram memory sometimes, though
    with ddr, it is no problem.

    Mark
    (analogkid12@comcast.net) wrote:
    : I have an ECS k7s5a 1.0 board with ami bios 07.00t dated 4/2/01 . The system
    : locks up after about 1/2 hour from boot when running at CPU/Memory speed of
    : 133/133 with an AMD Palomino XP 2000. Also runs rather hot (50-59 C) at this
    : speed. I can run it stable at 100/133, but want to get the most out of the
    : CPU,

    : I would like to know what the best, stable bios would be for this combo,
    : also, been a while since I flashed a bios, what is the best safest way to
    : flash?

    : Thanks
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Mark" <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have an ECS k7s5a 1.0 board with ami bios 07.00t dated 4/2/01 . The
    system
    > locks up after about 1/2 hour from boot when running at CPU/Memory speed
    of
    > 133/133 with an AMD Palomino XP 2000. Also runs rather hot (50-59 C) at
    this
    > speed. I can run it stable at 100/133, but want to get the most out of the
    > CPU,
    >
    > I would like to know what the best, stable bios would be for this combo,
    > also, been a while since I flashed a bios, what is the best safest way to
    > flash?
    >
    > Thanks

    My two-cents worth: there is no "safe" way to flash. Each time you flash it,
    you are taking a risk, especially if the BIOS chip is on an "older" machine.
    Over the years, I have flashed different BIOSes on different machines about
    ten times. One time on an older machine, I have to send for a replacement
    BIOS (there are people who do this for a living; no cheap, though) after
    flashing its BIOS. I swore I downloaded the correct version and did all the
    right things.

    Drive fast, live dangerously, and flash the BIOS.

    Cheers,
    Al-U

Elitegroup BIOS ECS Motherboards