Upgrading the hard drive, cpu or motherboard

I want to upgrade my system, but heard a rumour that I won't then be able to
re-install xp due to it failing to authenticate. Is there a way to remove my
authentication and then re-authenicate the upgraded system?
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrading hard drive motherboard

    Is your disk OEM or full retail version?
    If OEM then you may have to purchase a retail WinXP version. Do a search in
    this forum this issue pops up quite often.

    r.

    ben wrote:
    > I want to upgrade my system, but heard a rumour that I won't then be
    > able to re-install xp due to it failing to authenticate. Is there a
    > way to remove my authentication and then re-authenicate the upgraded
    > system?

    No, there's no viable way to "remove [your] authenication,"
    whatever that means.

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
    and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
    before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
    (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
    one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
    need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
    the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
    point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
    OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
    picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
    style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
    before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
    accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
    installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
    is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
    more stable than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
    than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
    you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
    problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
    call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Reactivate by telephone, if required, a simple process.

    "ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I want to upgrade my system, but heard a rumour that I won't then be able
    > re-install xp due to it failing to authenticate. Is there a way to remove
    my
    > authentication and then re-authenicate the upgraded system?

    "ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    >I want to upgrade my system, but heard a rumour that I
    >won't then be able to
    > re-install xp due to it failing to authenticate.

    It's just a rumor. I've upgraded both my mobo (went from a
    P3 to a P4) on one occasion and my hard drive 20 gig > 120
    gig on another and there were no activation problems even
    though I'm using an OEM version of WinXP Home. (The person
    doing the upgradings was the person who had also built the
    system.)

    At the very least you might have to make a phone call to
    reactivate. Be polite. But also be terse (concise, succinct)
    and don't volunteer any information that's not asked for.

    A more serious problem is a technical one. If there are
    radical differences between the computer's "before" and
    "after" states, the results of a repair installation may not
    be entirely to your liking. In my own case I ended up doing
    a clean installation on both occasions. However a repair
    installation is worth trying.

    Before starting anything, be sure you have a complete copy
    of SP2 downloaded and stored away somewhere. You're going to
    need it.

    --
    Bob
    Kanyak's Doghouse

    Thanks very much for the swift replies, and please accept
    my apologies, I meant activation, not authentication. I
    think i'll require the phone call, but it now seem
    possible.
    Thanks again

Hard Drives Motherboards Windows XP