Upgrading the hard drive, cpu or motherboard

September 29, 2004 7:03:01 PM

I want to upgrade my system, but heard a rumour that I won't then be able to
re-install xp due to it failing to authenticate. Is there a way to remove my
authentication and then re-authenicate the upgraded system?

More about : upgrading hard drive cpu motherboard

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2004 11:26:43 PM

Is your disk OEM or full retail version?
If OEM then you may have to purchase a retail WinXP version. Do a search in
this forum this issue pops up quite often.

r.

"ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to upgrade my system, but heard a rumour that I won't then be able
> re-install xp due to it failing to authenticate. Is there a way to remove
> my
> authentication and then re-authenicate the upgraded system?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2004 12:02:21 AM

ben wrote:
> I want to upgrade my system, but heard a rumour that I won't then be
> able to re-install xp due to it failing to authenticate. Is there a
> way to remove my authentication and then re-authenicate the upgraded
> system?

No, there's no viable way to "remove [your] authenication,"
whatever that means.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
more stable than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH
Related resources
September 30, 2004 4:21:30 AM

Reactivate by telephone, if required, a simple process.

"ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to upgrade my system, but heard a rumour that I won't then be able
> re-install xp due to it failing to authenticate. Is there a way to remove
my
> authentication and then re-authenicate the upgraded system?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2004 11:12:05 AM

"ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I want to upgrade my system, but heard a rumour that I
>won't then be able to
> re-install xp due to it failing to authenticate.

It's just a rumor. I've upgraded both my mobo (went from a
P3 to a P4) on one occasion and my hard drive 20 gig > 120
gig on another and there were no activation problems even
though I'm using an OEM version of WinXP Home. (The person
doing the upgradings was the person who had also built the
system.)

At the very least you might have to make a phone call to
reactivate. Be polite. But also be terse (concise, succinct)
and don't volunteer any information that's not asked for.

A more serious problem is a technical one. If there are
radical differences between the computer's "before" and
"after" states, the results of a repair installation may not
be entirely to your liking. In my own case I ended up doing
a clean installation on both occasions. However a repair
installation is worth trying.

Before starting anything, be sure you have a complete copy
of SP2 downloaded and stored away somewhere. You're going to
need it.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Thanks very much for the swift replies, and please accept
my apologies, I meant activation, not authentication. I
think i'll require the phone call, but it now seem
possible.
Thanks again
!