Athlon 64 with windows XP Pro

Is there some update that is necessary to correctly run
Windows XP Pro 32-bit edition on an Athlon 64 machine,
because I'm having numerous errors on this computer...I
just can't get it to run right for longer than a week.
4 answers Last reply
More about athlon windows

    mike wrote:
    > Is there some update that is necessary to correctly run
    > Windows XP Pro 32-bit edition on an Athlon 64 machine,
    > because I'm having numerous errors on this computer...I
    > just can't get it to run right for longer than a week.

    The 32-bit version of WinXP Pro works flawlessly with my AMD64
    3200+, so I don't think there's any built-in problems. What specific
    problems are you having?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote...

    >> Is there some update that is necessary to correctly run
    >> Windows XP Pro 32-bit edition on an Athlon 64 machine,
    >> because I'm having numerous errors on this computer...I
    >> just can't get it to run right for longer than a week.
    >
    > The 32-bit version of WinXP Pro works flawlessly with my AMD64 3200+, so I
    > don't think there's any built-in problems.

    It works fine with my dual Opteron system, too.

    mike wrote:
    > Is there some update that is necessary to correctly run
    > Windows XP Pro 32-bit edition on an Athlon 64 machine,
    > because I'm having numerous errors on this computer...I
    > just can't get it to run right for longer than a week.

    Nothing to do with Windows. You have no choice but to run 32-bit Windows on
    an Athlon 64 as there isn't a 64-bit version yet (it's still beta). Care to
    enlighten us as to what these "numerous errors" are exactly? Sounds like
    hardware issues to me...
    lose his marbles?

    "mike" <mbm4@pitt.edu> wrote in message
    > Is there some update that is necessary to correctly run
    > Windows XP Pro 32-bit edition on an Athlon 64 machine,
    > because I'm having numerous errors on this computer...I
    > just can't get it to run right for longer than a week.

    There is a Athlon64 processor driver available from AMD's website but
    it should work flawlessly without it.

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP