K7S5A Pro won't post with DDR

Current system is a K7S5a Pro 5.x with official 021209 BIOS (previously
030121). Athlon 1500+ (133/133), 2x128mb PC133 SDRAM, GF2MX video, 400W
power supply. 20, 80 and 120 GiB drives, all 7200RPM, and an 8x CD-RW.

I replaced the two sticks of SDRAM with one stick of 512mb PC3200
memory. When I power on, monitor stays in standby mode with no video,
and there are no beeps, though the drive spins up and the CD-ROM drive
seeks.

I exchanged the memory at the store for a 512mb stick of PC2100 memory,
and I get the same symptoms. Tried both sticks at 100/100 with all my
hard disks disconnected as well.

I haven't tried with a 512mb stick of SDRAM yet, as I won't be able to
make any more exchanges after that, and I want to see if I can get the
PC2100 memory working.

I saw this post by someone else with the same symptoms, and I reverted
my BIOS from 030121 to 021209 to test if what worked for him might as
well, but it still exhibits this issue.

http://p199.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm10.showMessage?topicID=1546.topic
6 answers Last reply
More about k7s5a post
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Try clearing the Bios.

    "Dekaritae" <maur@mdi.ca> wrote in message
    > Current system is a K7S5a Pro 5.x with official 021209 BIOS (previously
    > 030121). Athlon 1500+ (133/133), 2x128mb PC133 SDRAM, GF2MX video, 400W
    > power supply. 20, 80 and 120 GiB drives, all 7200RPM, and an 8x CD-RW.
    >
    > I replaced the two sticks of SDRAM with one stick of 512mb PC3200
    > memory. When I power on, monitor stays in standby mode with no video,
    > and there are no beeps, though the drive spins up and the CD-ROM drive
    > seeks.
    >
    > I exchanged the memory at the store for a 512mb stick of PC2100 memory,
    > and I get the same symptoms. Tried both sticks at 100/100 with all my
    > hard disks disconnected as well.
    >
    > I haven't tried with a 512mb stick of SDRAM yet, as I won't be able to
    > make any more exchanges after that, and I want to see if I can get the
    > PC2100 memory working.
    >
    > I saw this post by someone else with the same symptoms, and I reverted
    > my BIOS from 030121 to 021209 to test if what worked for him might as
    > well, but it still exhibits this issue.

    http://p199.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm10.showMessage?topicID=1546.topic

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Tod wrote:

    > Try clearing the Bios.

    You mean CMOS, and It's been cleared each time I flashed the BIOS.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Dekaritae" <maur@mdi.ca> wrote in message

    > When I power on, monitor stays in standby mode with no video, and there
    are no beeps, though the drive spins up and the CD-ROM drive seeks. "

    Did you reset the CMOS?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Cuzman wrote:

    > Did you reset the CMOS?

    Yus, I used the CMOS reset jumper with each stick, and it was reset as
    well when I flashed the BIOS.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Did you disconnect the power cord at the same time as using the jumper ?

    > Cuzman wrote:
    >
    > > Did you reset the CMOS?
    > >

    > Yus, I used the CMOS reset jumper with each stick, and it was reset as
    > well when I flashed the BIOS.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Dekaritae wrote:
    > Current system is a K7S5a Pro 5.x with official 021209 BIOS (previously
    > 030121). Athlon 1500+ (133/133), 2x128mb PC133 SDRAM, GF2MX video, 400W
    > power supply. 20, 80 and 120 GiB drives, all 7200RPM, and an 8x CD-RW.
    >
    > I replaced the two sticks of SDRAM with one stick of 512mb PC3200
    > memory. When I power on, monitor stays in standby mode with no video,
    > and there are no beeps, though the drive spins up and the CD-ROM drive
    > seeks.

    I exchanged the 512mb of DDR266 memory for 512mb of PC133 SDRAM (and
    $40), but discovered that while it booted, Windows wasn't stable at
    133/133. It is stable at 124/124 and below, and I'm going to try 143/143
    next using CPUCooL.

    I'm guessing that the problem was my power supply. I read through the
    K7S5A FAQ and went through my components, and found that the 3.3v and
    5.0v rails on my power supply only have a combined wattage of 175, while
    the FAQ says 185 is recommended for stability.

    I suspect that if I disconnect a few of my peripheral cards, USB devices
    or hard disks, it will suddenly become stable at 133/133. but 124*10
    isn't a terrible drop from 133*10 in the short-term, and I can pick up a
    much less cheap PSU that does 220w on those rails.

Elitegroup Memory Motherboards