k7s5a board

Since i have run this board ,sometimes when its run at 133/133 ,when the
computer reboots my date goes back to octber of 2002 ???...not to sure why
i have 2 strips od pc 2100 256 ram
runnin a geforce 5200 and windows xp pro .
seems to run fine at 100 100
8 answers Last reply
More about k7s5a board
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Drvnguy wrote:

    > Since i have run this board ,sometimes when its run at 133/133 ,when the
    > computer reboots my date goes back to octber of 2002 ???...not to sure why
    > i have 2 strips od pc 2100 256 ram
    > runnin a geforce 5200 and windows xp pro .
    > seems to run fine at 100 100

    Carefully check your button style battery on the motherboard. You may be
    able to rotate it a little in the socket to make better contact. You also
    may need a new battery...
    --
    Kirbalo...

    K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
    1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
    SuSE Linux 9.0 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
    Linux 2.4.21-231-athlon
    8:31pm up 17 days 5:36, 3 users, load average: 1.71, 1.42, 1.25
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:32:18 -0500, kirbalo <kirbalo@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >Drvnguy wrote:
    >
    >> Since i have run this board ,sometimes when its run at 133/133 ,when the
    >> computer reboots my date goes back to octber of 2002 ???...not to sure why
    >> i have 2 strips od pc 2100 256 ram
    >> runnin a geforce 5200 and windows xp pro .
    >> seems to run fine at 100 100
    >
    >Carefully check your button style battery on the motherboard. You may be
    >able to rotate it a little in the socket to make better contact. You also
    >may need a new battery...

    Won't hurt to try that but he's just got the typical K7S5A 'BAD CMOS'
    symptom. Stupid things just do that from time to time.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Drvnguy" <drvnguy@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Since i have run this board ,sometimes when its run at 133/133 ,when
    > the computer reboots my date goes back to octber of 2002 ???...not to
    > sure why i have 2 strips od pc 2100 256 ram
    > runnin a geforce 5200 and windows xp pro .
    > seems to run fine at 100 100

    These boards just do that. You just have to reset your BIOS settings.
    Permanent fix is to flash your BIOS, but you run a (slight but real) risk
    with this of course.

    I'm not sure which flash to recommend, others can tell you. I just live
    with it. It's pretty rare on my system.

    --
    fD
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Mine does the same, I have it down to static, I ground myself by touching a
    light switch screw every time.
    "Drvnguy" <drvnguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Since i have run this board ,sometimes when its run at 133/133 ,when the
    > computer reboots my date goes back to octber of 2002 ???...not to sure why
    > i have 2 strips od pc 2100 256 ram
    > runnin a geforce 5200 and windows xp pro .
    > seems to run fine at 100 100

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:50:51 GMT, fLameDogg <flamedogg@operamail.com>
    wrote:

    >"Drvnguy" <drvnguy@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Since i have run this board ,sometimes when its run at 133/133 ,when
    >> the computer reboots my date goes back to octber of 2002 ???...not to
    >> sure why i have 2 strips od pc 2100 256 ram
    >> runnin a geforce 5200 and windows xp pro .
    >> seems to run fine at 100 100
    >
    >These boards just do that. You just have to reset your BIOS settings.
    >Permanent fix is to flash your BIOS, but you run a (slight but real) risk
    >with this of course.

    A 'permanent' fix? Flash it with WHAT?

    >I'm not sure which flash to recommend, others can tell you. I just live
    >with it. It's pretty rare on my system.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    flipper <flipper@fish.net> wrote in

    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:50:51 GMT, fLameDogg <flamedogg@operamail.com>
    > wrote:

    <BIOS reset>
    >>These boards just do that. You just have to reset your BIOS settings.
    >> Permanent fix is to flash your BIOS, but you run a (slight but real)
    >>risk with this of course.
    >
    > A 'permanent' fix? Flash it with WHAT?

    I don't know if there is an "official" BIOS from ECS for this. I've seen
    references to HoneyX and CheapoMan's (I think that's right) and people have
    said these fixed the issue for them. But to be perfectly honest, I've
    never tried it (with this board; I've flashed "offical" BIOSes on other
    boards), and I couldn't even tell you where to get them without hitting a
    search engine or asking someone.

    --
    fD
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "fLameDogg" <flamedogg@operamail.com> wrote in message
    > flipper <flipper@fish.net> wrote in
    >
    > > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:50:51 GMT, fLameDogg <flamedogg@operamail.com>
    > > wrote:
    >
    > <BIOS reset>
    > >>These boards just do that. You just have to reset your BIOS settings.
    > >> Permanent fix is to flash your BIOS, but you run a (slight but real)
    > >>risk with this of course.
    > >
    > > A 'permanent' fix? Flash it with WHAT?
    >
    > I don't know if there is an "official" BIOS from ECS for this. I've seen
    > references to HoneyX and CheapoMan's (I think that's right) and people
    have
    > said these fixed the issue for them. But to be perfectly honest, I've
    > never tried it (with this board; I've flashed "offical" BIOSes on other
    > boards), and I couldn't even tell you where to get them without hitting a
    > search engine or asking someone.
    >
    > --
    Let me add 2 cents worth here. I assume you're talking about what's known as
    the Lost CMOS problem. AFAIK, there is no known permanent fix for it. ECS
    has totally ignored the problem.

    All the various Cheepoman BIOS's are available at
    www.ocworkbench.com/ecs
    where Cheepoman is a moderator of the ECS sector.
    His BIOS versions do not fix the lost CMOS problem on K7S5A. For whatever
    reason, the HoneyX BIOS isn't even allowed to be mentioned on the OCW site.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:44:22 GMT, fLameDogg <flamedogg@operamail.com>
    wrote:

    >flipper <flipper@fish.net> wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:50:51 GMT, fLameDogg <flamedogg@operamail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >
    ><BIOS reset>
    >>>These boards just do that. You just have to reset your BIOS settings.
    >>> Permanent fix is to flash your BIOS, but you run a (slight but real)
    >>>risk with this of course.
    >>
    >> A 'permanent' fix? Flash it with WHAT?
    >
    >I don't know if there is an "official" BIOS from ECS for this. I've seen
    >references to HoneyX and CheapoMan's (I think that's right) and people have
    >said these fixed the issue for them. But to be perfectly honest, I've
    >never tried it (with this board; I've flashed "offical" BIOSes on other
    >boards), and I couldn't even tell you where to get them without hitting a
    >search engine or asking someone.

    Well, saying a "permanent fix' is to flash the BIOS, but not having
    any evidence that anything will, is an overly optimistic claim to say
    the least.

    I haven't checked in the last couple of months, so there's always a
    remote chance that something new has suddenly cropped up, but I'm not
    aware of any BIOS, or anything else for that matter, that 'fixes' the
    K7S5A/Pro 'bad cmos' problem.

    There are a lot of 'ideas', and premature presumptions it's been
    'fixed', but, as far as I know, they all end up eventually discovering
    it's still there.

Elitegroup Motherboards