USB Hard Drive lock-up

1.) Computer is based upon the Intel D875PBZ motherboard
2.) WinXP Pro SP2 and all updates
3.) This motherboard /system has multiple USB ports (front/back)

Cause for current situation:

External USB hard drive lost power when attached to the front USB port.
WinXP was in the middle of the "AutoPlay" function, where it was reading the
directory of the attached hard drive, after being attached to the system.

Problem:

External USB hard drive is not damaged.

The hard drive works properly on rear USB ports of the system (as well as
other computers)

When it is attached to the front USB ports - it is not immediately
recognized or available.
Drive letter is NOT established (assigned) and Disk Management will usually
lock-up (or take a very long time to "come up").

Other non-hard drive devices (Iomega Zip Drive) work fine with the USB port.
========
Previous steps taken (without resolution).

1. Uninstalled the specific USB port and USB root hub (device drivers) for
the motherboard -- and then reinstalled.
2. Logical Drive Manager usually locks up, when it does it sees partition
(on the USB drive) it has no drive letter - and drive letter can not be
assigned.

Easiest way to "clear" the corrupted hard drive config for this port?

g. beat
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drive lock

    You will need to remove the instance of the external USB Hard drive from
    the registry before it will work properly in the front panel again. It
    creates a different key in the registry when you use a different port.
    This is why it works in the back ports. Try this:

    First, remove the USB HD if it is connected, then click Start-Run-Type
    regedit and click OK. Navigate to HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB and look for
    the Vid_Xxxx folder that contains information about your USB HD in the
    folders under it. Now right click on the Vid_Xxxx folder that contains
    info about your USB HD, click Permissions and set it to allow full
    control. Now right click on the key and delete it. Do this for all
    folders labeled Vid_Xxxx that contain information about your USB HD
    (should only be one, but may have multiple folders under it).

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    G.Beat wrote:
    > 1.) Computer is based upon the Intel D875PBZ motherboard
    > 2.) WinXP Pro SP2 and all updates
    > 3.) This motherboard /system has multiple USB ports (front/back)
    >
    > Cause for current situation:
    >
    > External USB hard drive lost power when attached to the front USB port.
    > WinXP was in the middle of the "AutoPlay" function, where it was reading the
    > directory of the attached hard drive, after being attached to the system.
    >
    > Problem:
    >
    > External USB hard drive is not damaged.
    >
    > The hard drive works properly on rear USB ports of the system (as well as
    > other computers)
    >
    > When it is attached to the front USB ports - it is not immediately
    > recognized or available.
    > Drive letter is NOT established (assigned) and Disk Management will usually
    > lock-up (or take a very long time to "come up").
    >
    > Other non-hard drive devices (Iomega Zip Drive) work fine with the USB port.
    > ========
    > Previous steps taken (without resolution).
    >
    > 1. Uninstalled the specific USB port and USB root hub (device drivers) for
    > the motherboard -- and then reinstalled.
    > 2. Logical Drive Manager usually locks up, when it does it sees partition
    > (on the USB drive) it has no drive letter - and drive letter can not be
    > assigned.
    >
    > Easiest way to "clear" the corrupted hard drive config for this port?
    >
    > g. beat

    I'm having a similar problem with my XP Pro machine. My
    250 USB iomega zip drive and USB memory key do not show up
    in My Computer (and cannot be accessed) when connected to
    front USB ports. I've tried the solution suggested in the
    knowledge base (command prompt), but that didn't help.
    Any suggestions much appreciated.
    Kathy

    Nathan -

    OK, knowing where to edit the registry is very useful.

    After performing this edit. WinXP goes through the hardware discovery
    process and then pauses at the step "Found New Hardware" - Disk Drive
    (bubble pointing to lower right tray) - also on the lower right is the
    "Safely Remove hardware" icon

    This is where for normal operation WinXP performs the "Autoplay" step to
    read the disk's directory structure. The red activity light on the external
    hard drive is ON for a period of time (about 3 to 4 minutes) - pauses and
    then goes ON again for another 3 to 4 minutes.

    Appears to be a problem with LDM and cached information (tmp file somewhere)
    on the disk (not in registry?).

    Trying to open Computer Management OR right-clicking on My Computer for
    Manage .... bring hour glass and then hour glass disappears .. with no
    program opened.

    Greg

    "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    > You will need to remove the instance of the external USB Hard drive from
    > the registry before it will work properly in the front panel again. It
    > creates a different key in the registry when you use a different port.
    > This is why it works in the back ports. Try this:
    >
    > First, remove the USB HD if it is connected, then click Start-Run-Type
    > regedit and click OK. Navigate to HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB and look for
    > the Vid_Xxxx folder that contains information about your USB HD in the
    > folders under it. Now right click on the Vid_Xxxx folder that contains
    > info about your USB HD, click Permissions and set it to allow full
    > control. Now right click on the key and delete it. Do this for all
    > folders labeled Vid_Xxxx that contain information about your USB HD
    > (should only be one, but may have multiple folders under it).
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > G.Beat wrote:
    >> 1.) Computer is based upon the Intel D875PBZ motherboard
    >> 2.) WinXP Pro SP2 and all updates
    >> 3.) This motherboard /system has multiple USB ports (front/back)
    >>
    >> Cause for current situation:
    >>
    >> External USB hard drive lost power when attached to the front USB port.
    >> WinXP was in the middle of the "AutoPlay" function, where it was reading
    >> the
    >> directory of the attached hard drive, after being attached to the system.
    >>
    >> Problem:
    >>
    >> External USB hard drive is not damaged.
    >>
    >> The hard drive works properly on rear USB ports of the system (as well as
    >> other computers)
    >>
    >> When it is attached to the front USB ports - it is not immediately
    >> recognized or available.
    >> Drive letter is NOT established (assigned) and Disk Management will
    >> usually
    >> lock-up (or take a very long time to "come up").
    >>
    >> Other non-hard drive devices (Iomega Zip Drive) work fine with the USB
    >> port.
    >> ========
    >> Previous steps taken (without resolution).
    >>
    >> 1. Uninstalled the specific USB port and USB root hub (device drivers)
    >> for
    >> the motherboard -- and then reinstalled.
    >> 2. Logical Drive Manager usually locks up, when it does it sees partition
    >> (on the USB drive) it has no drive letter - and drive letter can not be
    >> assigned.
    >>
    >> Easiest way to "clear" the corrupted hard drive config for this port?
    >>
    >> g. beat

    Hi !
    This problem is actually assumed by Microsoft, we're millions in the same
    case, trying to change drivers, etc.

    Have a look on that

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873169&Product=windowsxpsp2

    We have just to wait, and to send bills for non-working to Microsoft Corp...
    Cordially,
    Jean-Louis (France)

    "G.Beat" wrote:

    > 1.) Computer is based upon the Intel D875PBZ motherboard
    > 2.) WinXP Pro SP2 and all updates
    > 3.) This motherboard /system has multiple USB ports (front/back)
    >
    > Cause for current situation:
    >
    > External USB hard drive lost power when attached to the front USB port.
    > WinXP was in the middle of the "AutoPlay" function, where it was reading the
    > directory of the attached hard drive, after being attached to the system.
    >
    > Problem:
    >
    > External USB hard drive is not damaged.
    >
    > The hard drive works properly on rear USB ports of the system (as well as
    > other computers)
    >
    > When it is attached to the front USB ports - it is not immediately
    > recognized or available.
    > Drive letter is NOT established (assigned) and Disk Management will usually
    > lock-up (or take a very long time to "come up").
    >
    > Other non-hard drive devices (Iomega Zip Drive) work fine with the USB port.
    > ========
    > Previous steps taken (without resolution).
    >
    > 1. Uninstalled the specific USB port and USB root hub (device drivers) for
    > the motherboard -- and then reinstalled.
    > 2. Logical Drive Manager usually locks up, when it does it sees partition
    > (on the USB drive) it has no drive letter - and drive letter can not be
    > assigned.
    >
    > Easiest way to "clear" the corrupted hard drive config for this port?
    >
    > g. beat

Hard Drives USB Windows XP