Design flaw in Nokia 6230: re GPRS connectivity

July 3, 2004 2:11:06 PM

I have just bought a Nokia 6230's as a potential standard business phone,
and discovered a fundamental design flaw. We had wanted to use this combined
with Ipaq 4150s to access mail (etc). Although it allows GPRS connectivity
it only allows ONE Access Point (APN) which is already built into the device
and cannot be modified. This is unlike the Sony Erickson T610.

This means that it cannot be set-up to access corporate email (via for
example, an Ipaq), nor can the built in APN be modified, nor can you add
more than one APN (eg for personal mail account and a corporate mail
account).

This is based on discussions with the technical department of our Australian
telco. They have fed this to Nokia who said that ISPs wanted it locked in.

Anyone else heard anything? found workarounds? Are there Nokia newsgroups?
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 2:11:07 PM

Reflash the device with unlocked ROM. It will probably cost... but it is the
only way.

--

..: Jakub KaƱczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:11:06 +1000, "Australian"
<nospam@bigpond.com.au> wrote:

>I have just bought a Nokia 6230's as a potential standard business phone,
>and discovered a fundamental design flaw. We had wanted to use this combined
>with Ipaq 4150s to access mail (etc). Although it allows GPRS connectivity
>it only allows ONE Access Point (APN) which is already built into the device
>and cannot be modified. This is unlike the Sony Erickson T610.
>
>This means that it cannot be set-up to access corporate email (via for
>example, an Ipaq), nor can the built in APN be modified, nor can you add
>more than one APN (eg for personal mail account and a corporate mail
>account).
>
>This is based on discussions with the technical department of our Australian
>telco. They have fed this to Nokia who said that ISPs wanted it locked in.
>
>Anyone else heard anything? found workarounds? Are there Nokia newsgroups?

Get your facts straight before slagging off Nokia and moaning about
so-called 'Design flaws' in the 6230: An *unlocked* 6230 handset can
have up to 10 user-selectable APNs configured.

You however bought a subsidised handset where the people who
subsidised your phone wanted a single APN locked in. Go moan about
them in the appropriate group.

Gav
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 1:23:14 PM

OK- relax, Gav. And thank you Jakob for pointing me in the right direction.

I did say I wanted support on how to work around it, and my comments were
based on advice from the technical support desk of the telco.

Since then have discovered that you can set up more than one; telco tech
department phoned me back with right news. However they say you can only
have one access point, active at one time i.e. have to manually switch on
the phone via Settings/connectivity everyone time you want to go from
personal to corporate mail.

!