WinXP sees WLAN, doesn't connect, no error message

Hi,

what can I do if I try to connect to a WLAN, but after pressing the
"connect" button, does nothing happen - no connection, no error message. A
second notebook works fine, MAC filter, WEP keys are alright.

ipconfig /renew just says media disconnected.

Any idea how I can proceed?

Regards,
Jochen

There is very little information in your post to help me understand your
problem. Can you provide some context (OS, wireless setup including NICs;
drivers and AP settings). If you're running XPSP2, then you should at least
get a pop-up if there is a WEP key mismatch. Other than that you should
check your wireless "Preferred Networks" list for the AP you're trying to
connect to.

To access the preferred networks list, right click yor wireless network
device, select Properties menu item, click the Wireless Networks tab and the
list should be visible. If an entry already exists in your preferred list
with incorrect wireless settings, you might experience what you've
described. I am assuming of course a lot without the necessary information.

--
Oliver
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

"Jochen Rundholz" <jochen_r@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> what can I do if I try to connect to a WLAN, but after pressing the
> "connect" button, does nothing happen - no connection, no error message. A
> second notebook works fine, MAC filter, WEP keys are alright.
>
> ipconfig /renew just says media disconnected.
>
> Any idea how I can proceed?
>
> Regards,
> Jochen

Oliver is right, we need more info here. You also might want to check your
wireless adapter is working fine.
Check the device manager(my computer --> right click on properties -->
hardware tap --> device manager)

to see that whether your wireless adapter is working fine. If it has a
question mark on it, then it probably is not.

Check the version you are using and go to the manufacturer's website for
latest driver.

Yi