Help! My xp 2600+ chip only registers as 1.15ghz!!!

Tags:
  • Elitegroup
  • BIOS
  • Chip
  • Windows XP
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2004 4:37:00 PM

Hi all,

I got a new xp 2600+ chip for my K7S5A mobo. First up I did a bios upgrade
to 02/08/09 from here:
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a.html

Bios upgrade worked fine but after I installed my chip and rebooted it only
registered as 1150mhz. Any ideas why this is happening?

More about : 2600 chip registers 15ghz

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2004 5:14:17 PM

"Home Mail" <rubixchump@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I got a new xp 2600+ chip for my K7S5A mobo. First up I did a bios upgrade
> to 02/08/09 from here:
> http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a.html
>
> Bios upgrade worked fine but after I installed my chip and rebooted it
only
> registered as 1150mhz. Any ideas why this is happening?

Some more information:

I have managed to get it running at 1800+ now. I did this by changing the
cpu frequency in the bios to 133 (and 133 for the ram as well).

I don't know why but my bios picks the cpu as a AMD Duron for some reason.
The chip I am using is an AMD XP 2600+.

Any ideas?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2004 5:14:18 PM

I suspect you have the more common 2600:the one that works at 333
instead of the rare one that works at 133/266 and that is not available
anymore, having been produced in small quantities. Both are throughbred
processors which explains why it works at all. The other part of the
discrepancy is that, for example, an Athlon XP 2200+ is really clocked
at 1800.
The 2600+ is only an AMD derived performance index.

Home Mail a écrit :

> "Home Mail" <rubixchump@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I got a new xp 2600+ chip for my K7S5A mobo. First up I did a bios upgrade
> > to 02/08/09 from here:
> > http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a.html
> >
> > Bios upgrade worked fine but after I installed my chip and rebooted it
> only
> > registered as 1150mhz. Any ideas why this is happening?
>
> Some more information:
>
> I have managed to get it running at 1800+ now. I did this by changing the
> cpu frequency in the bios to 133 (and 133 for the ram as well).
>
> I don't know why but my bios picks the cpu as a AMD Duron for some reason.
> The chip I am using is an AMD XP 2600+.
>
> Any ideas?
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2004 10:55:33 PM

"Michel Senécal" <michelsenecal@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> I suspect you have the more common 2600:the one that works at 333
> instead of the rare one that works at 133/266 and that is not available
> anymore, having been produced in small quantities. Both are throughbred
> processors which explains why it works at all. The other part of the
> discrepancy is that, for example, an Athlon XP 2200+ is really clocked
> at 1800.
> The 2600+ is only an AMD derived performance index.

Oh darn it! So in short I need a new motherboard, right?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2004 10:55:34 PM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:55:33 +1200, "Home Mail"
<rubixchump@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

>"Michel Senécal" <michelsenecal@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>> I suspect you have the more common 2600:the one that works at 333
>> instead of the rare one that works at 133/266 and that is not available
>> anymore, having been produced in small quantities. Both are throughbred
>> processors which explains why it works at all. The other part of the
>> discrepancy is that, for example, an Athlon XP 2200+ is really clocked
>> at 1800.
>> The 2600+ is only an AMD derived performance index.
>
>Oh darn it! So in short I need a new motherboard, right?

Fry's carries a new Athlon XP+ 2600 chip with a new motherboard that
runs at that speed for $74.99 for the pair.

Pj
April 25, 2006 9:52:31 PM

i have the same issue mine runs a amd 1800+ but boots at the same as yours. If i change my speed to anything but 100/100 my computer freezes. It does this at 100/133 and 133/133. I am running 1 stick of pc 2100 256sdram and 1 512 same. Can some one please explain this to me. I'm a rookie.
April 25, 2006 10:09:48 PM

I had the problem on my old 2600+ you fsb is simply running at 100, bump it up to 166 and you'll be fine :)

11.5x100=1150 ;)
April 25, 2006 10:29:55 PM

the problem is this board is only 133 i guess...

is there any overclocking option?
you can try to "overclock" your cpu to it's original speed (it's 2.13 ghz i think)
April 25, 2006 11:02:26 PM

Quote:
I suspect you have the more common 2600:the one that works at 333
instead of the rare one that works at 133/266 and that is not available
anymore, having been produced in small quantities. Both are throughbred
processors which explains why it works at all. The other part of the
discrepancy is that, for example, an Athlon XP 2200+ is really clocked
at 1800.
The 2600+ is only an AMD derived performance index.

There were also two Barton 2600s. A regular core and a Mobile core.

The frequencies went as follows:

TBred 2600 XP, 266 FSB, 2133 Mhz, 16X Multiplier
TBred 2600 XP, 333 FSB, 2083 Mhz, 12.5X Multiplier
Barton 2600 XP, 333 FSB, 1917 Mhz, 11X Multiplier
Barton Mobile 2600 XP, 266 FSB, 2000 Mhz, 15X multiplier

The mobile was/is a favorite for overclockers due to it being an unlocked Barton core.

Which version of the K7S5A do you have?
April 26, 2006 9:20:53 AM

so even if im running the k7s5a with 1800 amd i should mstill set my fsb to 166? I'm kinda a newb. Its freezing already at anything other than 100/100mhz. And how do i get you guys my board modle # so you can better assist me?
April 26, 2006 11:37:53 AM

what kind of memory are you using by the way? i had one of this board and it can use both SDR and DDR... so you must be careful with part of the 100/100 mhz..

PC100 - 100mhz memory 133mhz cpu (166 if possible)
PC133 - 133mhz memory 133mhz cpu (166 if possible)
PC1600 (DDR-200) - 100mhz memory 133mhz cpu (166 if possible)
PC2100 (DDR-266) - 133mhz memory 133mhz cpu (166 if possible)

but i cant remember about overclocking on it, cuz i dont overclock anyway
April 26, 2006 5:08:55 PM

fenricketts, go HERE and download the CPU-Z program. Installation is easy. Just unzip the folder to your hard drive. Double-click the CPUZ program in the folder you just unzipped. It will display the various items installed on your motherboard.

Go to the "Mainboard" tab and tell us what it says under "Model".

Then go to the "SPD" tab and tell us what it is listed for "Max Bandwidth".

There are several version of that board available, knowing which one you have will help as will what type of memory you're running.
April 27, 2006 8:05:48 AM

CPU-Z version 1.33.1
----------------------

CPUID Output

Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Thoroughbred
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
Family/Model/Stepping 680
Extended Family/Model 7/8
Package Socket A
Core Stepping A0
Technology 0.13um
Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
Features
Clock Speed 1160.3 MHz
Clock multiplier x11.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 100.9 MHz
Bus Speed 201.8 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 1160.3 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits
00000000 00000104

Chipset

Northbridge SiS 735 rev. 01
Southbridge SiS LPC Bridge rev. 00
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Revision 2.0
AGP Transfer Rate 4x
AGP SBA supported, enabled
Memory Type SDRAM
Memory Size 768 MBytes
CAS# 3.0
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 4
Cycle Time (tRAS) 6
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 10

Memory SPD

DIMM #1

General
Memory type SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) Xerox (4341550000000000)
Size 256 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)
Part number
Manufacturing date Week 00/Year 00

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 133
CAS# 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 3
RAS# Precharge 3
TRAS# 6

DIMM #2

General
Memory type SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) (7FDF000000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)
Part number
Manufacturing date Week 00/Year 00

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 100 133
CAS# 2.0 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3
RAS# Precharge 2 3
TRAS# 5 6

DMI

DMI BIOS
--------
vendor American Megatrends Inc.
version 07.00T
date 03/08/11 by honey X

DMI System Information
----------------------
manufacturer ECS
product K7S5A
version unknown
serial unknown
UUID 00000000-00000000-00000000-00000000

DMI Baseboard
-------------
vendor ECS
model K7S5A
revision unknown
serial unknown

DMI System Enclosure
--------------------
manufacturer ECS
chassis type Desktop
chassis serial 123456890

DMI Processor
-------------
manufacturer AMD
model unknown
clock speed 1200.0MHz
FSB speed 66.0MHz
multiplier 18.0x

DMI Memory Controller
---------------------
correction 32-bit ECC
Max module size 128MBytes

DMI Memory Module
-----------------
designation ROW-0
size 256MBytes (double bank)

DMI Memory Module
-----------------
designation ROW-1
size 512MBytes (double bank)

Software

Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c
I know probly too much i hope this is what you needed. for some reason it locks up if it is set higher. i know the processer is a amd 1800.
April 27, 2006 8:20:01 AM

ecs
model k7s5a
sis 735 rev 01
sis lpb bridge
ite it8705
american mega trends 07.00t Honey x 03/08/11

amd athelon xp
thoroughbred
socket a
tech .13m volt 1.504 v
instruction mmx +3dnow+, sse
core speed 1160.3 mhz
mult x11.5
fsb 100.9 mhz
bus speed 201.8 mhz
L1 data 64kbytes
L1 code 64 kbytes
level 2 256 kbytes
slot1 sdram 256 mbytes pc133mhz xerox
freq 133mhz
cas lat 3.0
ras to cas 3
ras pre 3
tras 6
slot2 sdram 512 mbytes pc133mhz man 7fdf00000000000
freq 100mhs or 133mhz
cas 2.0 3.0
ras 2 3
ras to cas 2 3
ras 2 3
tras 5 6

This might be easier, btw Im sorry for high jacking the op.
April 27, 2006 7:07:44 PM

Actually it's my fault, I made the mistake of thinking you were the origianl poster. I meant for Home Mail to do this, well actually both of you.

Home Mail, if you're reading this please follow the CPU-Z instruction posted earlier and get us the info.

fenricketts, did CPU-Z report which version your BIOS is? There are two updates available form the ECS website which might help.

Looking at what you posted, everything seems to fit the bill. You appear to be running the 1.5 Volt Athlon XP 1800+, 266 FSB. You should be able to run your RAM at 133 to achieve the stock speed. Your RAM may not be all it's cracked up to be and could be causing your problem. I noticed under "Chipset" you indicated:

Quote:
Memory Type SDRAM
Memory Size 768 MBytes
CAS# 3.0
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 4
Cycle Time (tRAS) 6
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 10

But the separate DIMMS both registered 3-3-3-6. It's been awhile since I've messed around with SDRAM and this could be normal, then again it might not. Someone else might be able to shed some light on the situation.

Try testing each stick 1 at a time at 133 and see if it locks up on you. One or the other (or both) could be holding your system back.

Raising the voltage on the CPU may help, but let's test the RAM first as the voltage options on your board will most likely be limited. Stick with the RAM test first. We can pursue other options if the above doesn't help.
!