Help! My xp 2600+ chip only registers as 1.15ghz!!!

Hi all,

I got a new xp 2600+ chip for my K7S5A mobo. First up I did a bios upgrade
to 02/08/09 from here:
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a.html

Bios upgrade worked fine but after I installed my chip and rebooted it only
registered as 1150mhz. Any ideas why this is happening?
14 answers Last reply
More about help 2600 chip registers 15ghz
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Home Mail" <rubixchump@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I got a new xp 2600+ chip for my K7S5A mobo. First up I did a bios upgrade
    > to 02/08/09 from here:
    > http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a.html
    >
    > Bios upgrade worked fine but after I installed my chip and rebooted it
    only
    > registered as 1150mhz. Any ideas why this is happening?

    Some more information:

    I have managed to get it running at 1800+ now. I did this by changing the
    cpu frequency in the bios to 133 (and 133 for the ram as well).

    I don't know why but my bios picks the cpu as a AMD Duron for some reason.
    The chip I am using is an AMD XP 2600+.

    Any ideas?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    I suspect you have the more common 2600:the one that works at 333
    instead of the rare one that works at 133/266 and that is not available
    anymore, having been produced in small quantities. Both are throughbred
    processors which explains why it works at all. The other part of the
    discrepancy is that, for example, an Athlon XP 2200+ is really clocked
    at 1800.
    The 2600+ is only an AMD derived performance index.

    Home Mail a écrit :

    > "Home Mail" <rubixchump@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I got a new xp 2600+ chip for my K7S5A mobo. First up I did a bios upgrade
    > > to 02/08/09 from here:
    > > http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a.html
    > >
    > > Bios upgrade worked fine but after I installed my chip and rebooted it
    > only
    > > registered as 1150mhz. Any ideas why this is happening?
    >
    > Some more information:
    >
    > I have managed to get it running at 1800+ now. I did this by changing the
    > cpu frequency in the bios to 133 (and 133 for the ram as well).
    >
    > I don't know why but my bios picks the cpu as a AMD Duron for some reason.
    > The chip I am using is an AMD XP 2600+.
    >
    > Any ideas?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Michel Senécal" <michelsenecal@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    > I suspect you have the more common 2600:the one that works at 333
    > instead of the rare one that works at 133/266 and that is not available
    > anymore, having been produced in small quantities. Both are throughbred
    > processors which explains why it works at all. The other part of the
    > discrepancy is that, for example, an Athlon XP 2200+ is really clocked
    > at 1800.
    > The 2600+ is only an AMD derived performance index.

    Oh darn it! So in short I need a new motherboard, right?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:55:33 +1200, "Home Mail"
    <rubixchump@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

    >"Michel Senécal" <michelsenecal@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    >> I suspect you have the more common 2600:the one that works at 333
    >> instead of the rare one that works at 133/266 and that is not available
    >> anymore, having been produced in small quantities. Both are throughbred
    >> processors which explains why it works at all. The other part of the
    >> discrepancy is that, for example, an Athlon XP 2200+ is really clocked
    >> at 1800.
    >> The 2600+ is only an AMD derived performance index.
    >
    >Oh darn it! So in short I need a new motherboard, right?

    Fry's carries a new Athlon XP+ 2600 chip with a new motherboard that
    runs at that speed for $74.99 for the pair.

    Pj
  5. i have the same issue mine runs a amd 1800+ but boots at the same as yours. If i change my speed to anything but 100/100 my computer freezes. It does this at 100/133 and 133/133. I am running 1 stick of pc 2100 256sdram and 1 512 same. Can some one please explain this to me. I'm a rookie.
  6. I had the problem on my old 2600+ you fsb is simply running at 100, bump it up to 166 and you'll be fine :)

    11.5x100=1150 ;)
  7. the problem is this board is only 133 i guess...

    is there any overclocking option?
    you can try to "overclock" your cpu to it's original speed (it's 2.13 ghz i think)
  8. Quote:
    I suspect you have the more common 2600:the one that works at 333
    instead of the rare one that works at 133/266 and that is not available
    anymore, having been produced in small quantities. Both are throughbred
    processors which explains why it works at all. The other part of the
    discrepancy is that, for example, an Athlon XP 2200+ is really clocked
    at 1800.
    The 2600+ is only an AMD derived performance index.

    There were also two Barton 2600s. A regular core and a Mobile core.

    The frequencies went as follows:

    TBred 2600 XP, 266 FSB, 2133 Mhz, 16X Multiplier
    TBred 2600 XP, 333 FSB, 2083 Mhz, 12.5X Multiplier
    Barton 2600 XP, 333 FSB, 1917 Mhz, 11X Multiplier
    Barton Mobile 2600 XP, 266 FSB, 2000 Mhz, 15X multiplier

    The mobile was/is a favorite for overclockers due to it being an unlocked Barton core.

    Which version of the K7S5A do you have?
  9. so even if im running the k7s5a with 1800 amd i should mstill set my fsb to 166? I'm kinda a newb. Its freezing already at anything other than 100/100mhz. And how do i get you guys my board modle # so you can better assist me?
  10. what kind of memory are you using by the way? i had one of this board and it can use both SDR and DDR... so you must be careful with part of the 100/100 mhz..

    PC100 - 100mhz memory 133mhz cpu (166 if possible)
    PC133 - 133mhz memory 133mhz cpu (166 if possible)
    PC1600 (DDR-200) - 100mhz memory 133mhz cpu (166 if possible)
    PC2100 (DDR-266) - 133mhz memory 133mhz cpu (166 if possible)

    but i cant remember about overclocking on it, cuz i dont overclock anyway
  11. fenricketts, go HERE and download the CPU-Z program. Installation is easy. Just unzip the folder to your hard drive. Double-click the CPUZ program in the folder you just unzipped. It will display the various items installed on your motherboard.

    Go to the "Mainboard" tab and tell us what it says under "Model".

    Then go to the "SPD" tab and tell us what it is listed for "Max Bandwidth".

    There are several version of that board available, knowing which one you have will help as will what type of memory you're running.
  12. CPU-Z version 1.33.1
    ----------------------

    CPUID Output

    Number of CPUs 1
    Name AMD Athlon XP
    Code name Thoroughbred
    Specification AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
    Family/Model/Stepping 680
    Extended Family/Model 7/8
    Package Socket A
    Core Stepping A0
    Technology 0.13um
    Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
    Features
    Clock Speed 1160.3 MHz
    Clock multiplier x11.5
    Front Side Bus Frequency 100.9 MHz
    Bus Speed 201.8 MHz
    L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Speed 1160.3 MHz (Full)
    L2 Location On Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
    L2 Bus Width 64 bits
    00000000 00000104

    Chipset

    Northbridge SiS 735 rev. 01
    Southbridge SiS LPC Bridge rev. 00
    Graphic Interface AGP
    AGP Revision 2.0
    AGP Transfer Rate 4x
    AGP SBA supported, enabled
    Memory Type SDRAM
    Memory Size 768 MBytes
    CAS# 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# 3
    RAS# Precharge 4
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 6
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 10

    Memory SPD

    DIMM #1

    General
    Memory type SDRAM
    Manufacturer (ID) Xerox (4341550000000000)
    Size 256 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)
    Part number
    Manufacturing date Week 00/Year 00

    Attributes
    Number of banks 2
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Registered no
    Buffered no

    Timings table
    Frequency (MHz) 133
    CAS# 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay 3
    RAS# Precharge 3
    TRAS# 6

    DIMM #2

    General
    Memory type SDRAM
    Manufacturer (ID) (7FDF000000000000)
    Size 512 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)
    Part number
    Manufacturing date Week 00/Year 00

    Attributes
    Number of banks 2
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Registered no
    Buffered no

    Timings table
    Frequency (MHz) 100 133
    CAS# 2.0 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3
    RAS# Precharge 2 3
    TRAS# 5 6

    DMI

    DMI BIOS
    --------
    vendor American Megatrends Inc.
    version 07.00T
    date 03/08/11 by honey X

    DMI System Information
    ----------------------
    manufacturer ECS
    product K7S5A
    version unknown
    serial unknown
    UUID 00000000-00000000-00000000-00000000

    DMI Baseboard
    -------------
    vendor ECS
    model K7S5A
    revision unknown
    serial unknown

    DMI System Enclosure
    --------------------
    manufacturer ECS
    chassis type Desktop
    chassis serial 123456890

    DMI Processor
    -------------
    manufacturer AMD
    model unknown
    clock speed 1200.0MHz
    FSB speed 66.0MHz
    multiplier 18.0x

    DMI Memory Controller
    ---------------------
    correction 32-bit ECC
    Max module size 128MBytes

    DMI Memory Module
    -----------------
    designation ROW-0
    size 256MBytes (double bank)

    DMI Memory Module
    -----------------
    designation ROW-1
    size 512MBytes (double bank)

    Software

    Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    DirectX Version 9.0c
    I know probly too much i hope this is what you needed. for some reason it locks up if it is set higher. i know the processer is a amd 1800.
  13. ecs
    model k7s5a
    sis 735 rev 01
    sis lpb bridge
    ite it8705
    american mega trends 07.00t Honey x 03/08/11

    amd athelon xp
    thoroughbred
    socket a
    tech .13m volt 1.504 v
    instruction mmx +3dnow+, sse
    core speed 1160.3 mhz
    mult x11.5
    fsb 100.9 mhz
    bus speed 201.8 mhz
    L1 data 64kbytes
    L1 code 64 kbytes
    level 2 256 kbytes
    slot1 sdram 256 mbytes pc133mhz xerox
    freq 133mhz
    cas lat 3.0
    ras to cas 3
    ras pre 3
    tras 6
    slot2 sdram 512 mbytes pc133mhz man 7fdf00000000000
    freq 100mhs or 133mhz
    cas 2.0 3.0
    ras 2 3
    ras to cas 2 3
    ras 2 3
    tras 5 6

    This might be easier, btw Im sorry for high jacking the op.
  14. Actually it's my fault, I made the mistake of thinking you were the origianl poster. I meant for Home Mail to do this, well actually both of you.

    Home Mail, if you're reading this please follow the CPU-Z instruction posted earlier and get us the info.

    fenricketts, did CPU-Z report which version your BIOS is? There are two updates available form the ECS website which might help.

    Looking at what you posted, everything seems to fit the bill. You appear to be running the 1.5 Volt Athlon XP 1800+, 266 FSB. You should be able to run your RAM at 133 to achieve the stock speed. Your RAM may not be all it's cracked up to be and could be causing your problem. I noticed under "Chipset" you indicated:

    Quote:
    Memory Type SDRAM
    Memory Size 768 MBytes
    CAS# 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# 3
    RAS# Precharge 4
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 6
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 10

    But the separate DIMMS both registered 3-3-3-6. It's been awhile since I've messed around with SDRAM and this could be normal, then again it might not. Someone else might be able to shed some light on the situation.

    Try testing each stick 1 at a time at 133 and see if it locks up on you. One or the other (or both) could be holding your system back.

    Raising the voltage on the CPU may help, but let's test the RAM first as the voltage options on your board will most likely be limited. Stick with the RAM test first. We can pursue other options if the above doesn't help.

Elitegroup BIOS Chip Windows XP Motherboards