Doom3 reviews?

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Anyone who has played doom wanna give an impression? I've been reading some fairly negative user reviews which are basically looks great plays like same old [-peep-]. Also I hear the game has silly flaws like yur in the future but the marine cant hold a gun and a torch at the same time or other silly things like being sent to a dangerous part of the station wearing no helmet and equipped only with a pistol. Now while those points arent really important it makes me smile that ID hadnt thought simple things like that out.... Most importantly ppl write that D3 is just boring same old thing again and again and the multiplayer is rubbish as well... so any ppl willing to share their thoughts on D3??

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

dhlucke

Polypheme
The game is really really really basic. Since they completely decided against innovation in the game play they stuck to making it a good linear shoot everything that moves game. It's scary. You can't interact with much, which I found disapointing. The graphics are really cool. The lighting is the best I've seen. The game runs well without a brand new system.

The multiplayer is only for 4 players at a time but I think there are mods for that. The stupid stuff that you heard about is true, but I think they made a good decision with not being able to hold the flashlight and gun at the same time since it's scarier that way. There is a mod to bypass that though.

I think D3 will take the graphics crown while HL2 hopefully will take the game play crown.

I can't for the life of me play D3 for more than 15 minutes at a time. Sometimes 30 minutes. I get really really bored or distracted. The engine is pretty sweet though and I'm sure other games will be better with the engine.

One thing I read in a review was about the autosave feature. This completely kills the mood of the game since you can hit F5 every 2 seconds and not worry about anything. If you want to really play the game try going without saving all the time.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
yup ive read a lot of posts elsewhere saying ppl cant play for more than 30 mins a go before they potter off to do something else.... and while i understand why the makers decided flashlight and no weapon it pokes a severe hole in the logic of the game... unless the marine only has one arm then its ok :)

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

pauldh

Illustrious
I've read enough user reviews and now the Toms Hardware Review, to be happy I didn't open mine. It will be going back to Circuit City Tonight or tomorrow.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
I can't for the life of me play D3 for more than 15 minutes at a time. Sometimes 30 minutes. I get really really bored or distracted.
Same here.

<font color=blue> "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to success is more important than any other one thing" - Abraham Lincoln </font color=blue>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
yeah... we have all seen it before lots of hype, undeniabley nice graphics... same boring game.... i'll still admit that I havent played the game but it seems undeniable now that D3 is only ground breaking in graphics department. Anyway I know where to get a downloaded copy which I'm gonna get instead of buying it, initially at least, maybe I will like the game.

gpol2162

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
Screw u guys. It is a fun game that goes back to the old doom days. The graphics r great but the gameplay is enjoyable to. I find there is enough story and new enemies/weapons to keep me going on. All I need is my 6800GT, currently I am on a geforce 2 64bit.

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
I personnaly like the game alot. Runs really good, graphics are awesome but listening to the audio logs can be a little boring. The combination of the backround sounds and the monsters jumping out from nowhere can scare the [-peep-] out of you. Game gives me the chills, which i think is totally awesome. The anticipation of whats going to happen next is well worth it.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

gpol2162

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
True the aduio logs r kinda dumb. And u can't even fast forward so once u miss a piece of info u gotta listen to it all over again.

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
That does stink, especially if you missed the code for a locker or door. Which they always put at the end of the log.
The game still scares the crapola out of you. I love that.
Never has a game made me jump like that. Kudos to I.D.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
jaysus reeeeelax.... ive been having fun slating Doom3 but what i really want are ppls opinions.... u say u like like doom3, explain in detail why u like it? Personnally I beleive games of ye olde years were muck now u look back on them and a new game which is supposedly groundbreaking but hearkens back to the old days to me smacks of laziness....? What about accusations of logic flaws or phsyics being out of whack and not a lot of stuff to interact with. What about the [-peep-] enemy AI or lack of enemy AI? What about level design and actual basic gameplay? You say u like the game fair enough, tell me why including references to my above points... I just wanna here about Doom3 basically. Altho I should have a copy got by the weekend then I'll give my own "expert" opinion once I've played it a bit :p

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i played for a while the other night, been real busy since so i havent played it, i only played it for about 20 min and i dont think its gonna get that much better. seems like the same plot in a lot of really bad movies, scientists no better but the military/government wants results fast so they screw every thing up. i wasnt really that impressed with the graphics or the shadow effects on stationary objects, i havent messed with the graphics settings at all so maybe they were turned down cause it thought my comp wasnt up to the task.

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!

dhlucke

Polypheme
The graphics get better. If you get in the console you can jump levels. I went to the end of the game and thought it was pretty cool but the game is overated. It definitely wasn't as great as I expected even at the end.

I'm not sure I want to play the game from begining to end and I'm not sure I'll even play it ever again. I'd like to hear from people that have passed the whole game but personally I can't understand why anyone would. If I was 12 and sick at home I could see it happening but that's about it.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

TeeTewl

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
DH,Jhiggs and you said precisely how I feel about it...it'll probably be in the 19.95 rack before the year is out...

The truth is out there...and unfortunately so are the LIES

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
...it'll probably be in the 19.95 rack before the year is out...

Probably not. It's been too hyped and there will be lots of demand. It may depend somewhat on how multiplayer and mods will catch on. The commercial peeps did a great job with Doom3 in my opinion and they will get their reward.

If they succeed in getting most of who have followed the hype a copy in the next two months, then you may be right but at that time it may not be even worth $20 bucks to people as all who cared already have their copy.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>

TeeTewl

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
excellent I point I'll have to back down from that...also like you said sometimes a game is better in multiplayer and could remain popular there...

The truth is out there...and unfortunately so are the LIES

baston

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004
The atmosphere is great, it's very creepy. In terms of graphics, they are awesome. However, that being said it's disappointing in terms of graphics. All the citizens look like pasty white computer geeks, and the aliens look great except it's so damn dark you don't see them half the time. The environment is just so damn boring after a few hours though... it's all so similar looking.

Half-life dropped my jaw when it came out, Doom 3 didn't. My Doom 3 experience runs kinda like "hey, that was really cool" every once in a while. The gameplay is okay, but tactics are very limited and the weapons are pretty boring.

Basically, the atmosphere of the game is far better then the graphics or gameplay. I enjoy it when I play, but I tend not to play hours on end.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
It is a fun game that goes back to the old doom days
It's the one thing the game doesn't do. Have you actually played DooM? Remember some levels in Plutonia? THAT was DooM, a game where action is the key word, where you don't have a seconds breathing room. Not the 'OMG I finally met a zombie after playing for an hour' game.

That's my biggest gripe; they sacrificed the good old shoot-em-up mindless action for the sake of graphics.
Painkiller is a lot more DooM than DooM3.

<font color=blue>The day <font color=green>Microsoft</font color=green> will make something that doesn't suck is the day they'll start making vacuum cleaners.</font color=blue>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
well after the lan party this weekend ive gotten my hands on doom3 and have played it briefly... briefly mind u... first impressions are alright.. but i walked about the first level a small bit so this is not a definitive impression.... so the only thing i can think of commenting on are the graphics.... no getting away from it they are really detailed and nice but everything seems like the same shade of grey or dark green.... farcry when i first played it made me pick my jaw off the floor... doom3 i dont beleive compares....

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Well played Doom3 properly last nite.... Nice graphics and lovely sound... DumDeDum pottering around the space station.... talking to a guy i was supposed to find... big bang... lots of screams ok guy is screaming..... oh he looks different now if he was pasty looking before he is worse now.. he is changing errr... guy is lurching at me?? luching? ppl dont lurch??.... JESUS the lights have gone out argh shoot the b***ard argh!!!! cant see anything... f*ck there is another one in here somewhere!!!!!! there he is shoot shoot..... *theme tune to sesame st running through my mind, i think my brain has just gone on strike, this is no time for theme tunes*...... okaaay okaaaay... its only a game Wolfy its not reeeeal and u have played this kind of thing before okay... move onwards..... *jeez i wish the lights would come back on* noises and screams.... la de daaaaa it doesnt exist and im thinking of bunny rabbits and nice things... shine torch between 2 boxes and wham!!! zombie runs past my vision with arms flailing like they did in 28 days later.... ah sh*t sh*t sh*t he is coming at me f*ck die die die .... oh god run away run away... *i want my mommy and i want some ice cream*.... move on some more..... shoot more zombies each time wanting to crawl under my seat and die... climb up a stairs.... *stairs look funny* out appears a horrible monster... my ENTIRE body tenses, i actually shout argh argh argh while attempting to move backwards and keep it in my sights.... i kill it... i turn doom3 off and turn the lights on and play something nice like need for speed.... I previously wrote about The Suffering being scary..... Doom3 is the scariest thing I have ever played I have never ever felt the way I feel when I play doom3.... everytime a monster appears my body goes rigid till i can kill it and to be honest its an exhausting way of playing... there isnt much fun being constantly in a state of terror..... i couldnt even imagine how horrible this game would be on surround sound hearing noises behind u....???!!! horrible...

thats not a definitive review u understand just my initial reaction to this game..... i have to say tho no one else mentioned how scary this game was??? or is it just me that is petrified by it.... and im 23 btw. anyway..... will want to play it lots more before i decide whether its all good or this gameplay will become boring.... ill wait and see

Thor

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
Hi !

I buy Doom 3 and well nothing new there really.
But it's true that my reference for FPS game is Unreal Tournament 2004 and for me any games is better that UT2K4 for now (august 2004).

First installation of Doom 3 is a lot boring. And after that id software decide to spy your machine to see if you have CD and/or DVD emulator like Alcohol 120%, Clone CD, etc.

Well sorry but I hate this attitude and I think companies have NO RIGHT to look what I have on my machine.
And I try all time copy my games, that I buy ALL TIME, cause I don't want use my original in case of scratch, lose, etc.

So when I try run Doom 3, even with the Disc 1 Original, the game refuse to work. So I need to go on internet to find a "crack" to no need CD.

Well id software have lose "many point" about how I like a company in doing that !

Also Doom 3 is a lot dark (look image on the review here http://www2.tomshardware.com/game/20040809/index.html). You practically see nothing all time and need all time use flashlight.
Well I can understand it's a horror game but I think they put that all dark cause 3D engine is not really good and so it's practical to hide bad things.

Also we can play just 4 players on Internet.
But I'm sure id software do that to sell another kind of Doom which permit to play with more player. Like they do with Quake. Money is so good.

Also I think guy on id software programmed Doom 3 on Cray machine. Cause you need a so powerful machine to play this game. And I don't understand since nothing is wonderful in this game. I don't think the 3D engine is really new and they use a lot of old stuff from Quake 3 engine.
But they hide that with "dark" ! :)

I play I think around 2 hour for now about Doom 3 and not sure I will play again. I prefer a lot more UT2K4 !

I can understand player who play old game like CounterStrike or other mod base on very old engine of Half-Life can find Doom 3 wonderful. If they don't play any other modern FPS game like UT2K4. But I think player who know UT2K4 or UT2K3 can't be really enthusiast with Doom 3.

And also I ask how player will play in a so dark game online !

Well I'm deceived about Doom 3 and I don't recommand to anybody. Or just if you have money to lose and like pass your time in the dark !
My review: 7/10

My Unreal Tournament 2004 review: 9/10

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Thor on 08/22/04 07:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
well in fairness doom3 and UT2k4 are 2 completely different games in the same genre and comparing them with each other is a bit pointless. On the other hand further play by myself of doom3 saw on the second day of play no longer being scared... as the game progresses the appearance of enemies is no longer surprising and it becomes obvious where they are gonna appear from as it becomes also obvious that said enemies arent really smart and just simply run at u and add that to the fact that enemies later in the gamne arent scary but are annoying instead doesnt help. Furthermore the same architecture is getting depressing... seeing the same structures over and over again is boring me and finally the game on standard setting is too easy by about a million miles.... im now in the enpro part of the lab and i have yet to actually die... im not a bad gamer but ive never EVER come accross a shooter where i havent died.. and it lessens the atmosphere when surrounded by hellspawn who hit u repeatedly only to take a few points off yur health while u calmly shoot them one by one.. and im too far in the game to be bothered changing to difficult as well.... BUT in saying that im enjoying the game... despite its flaws it has its charms and im interested to see where the game takes me

Thor

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
I know Doom 3 is not UT2K4 and vice-versa.
But both are FPS game anyway.

And I find nothing new about Doom 3. And I think even the 3D engine is old stuff. Even the "Intro" who show the "symbol" of id software is old.
I think id software use Quake III engine and make little bit modification.
Anyway !
If you have choice between Doom 3 OR UT2K4, choose UT.
A lot better !

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I agree with most of the negative issues that have been discussed here but there is something about the game that urges me to move on and play it till the end. The atmosphere is wonderful. Even the repetitive gameplay is not getting enough to me to call it quits.

Although I played a couple of hours at a stretch in the beginning, I now go by hops of half an hour to an hour. After that, I definitely need a break.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>