What is so great about KOTOR?

Archived from groups: alt.games.jedi-knight (More info?)

My friend raves about it, but I just don't see what's so great about it? The
turn-based combat removes skill from the equation so it's just boring. In Jedi
Knight Outcast and Jedi Knight Academy light sabre duels are a blast because
your skill determines if you live or die. IOW, you have to make the moves not
the computer. I just found the combat style of KOTOR completely lame. People
just stand around in KOTOR and shoot it out (oh and they duck once in a while).
The AI makes no attempt to take cover (and neither can you). LAME.
More about what great kotor
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.jedi-knight (More info?)

    Probably more a tactical game than FPS. Haven't played it though.
    I've gone right off the Jedi Knight series. Installed Jedi Academy about 6
    weeks ago, and apart from configuring it I haven't actually started playing
    it yet. I did like Outcast though.
    Why don't you ask your friend exactly what he likes about it?

    "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
    > My friend raves about it, but I just don't see what's so great about it?
    > The
    > turn-based combat removes skill from the equation so it's just boring. In
    > Jedi
    > Knight Outcast and Jedi Knight Academy light sabre duels are a blast
    > because
    > your skill determines if you live or die. IOW, you have to make the moves
    > not
    > the computer. I just found the combat style of KOTOR completely lame.
    > People
    > just stand around in KOTOR and shoot it out (oh and they duck once in a
    > while).
    > The AI makes no attempt to take cover (and neither can you). LAME.
    > -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.jedi-knight (More info?)

    He likes RPG's and MMORPG's so this probably explains it. I just don't see any
    skill in playing KOTOR. You don't have to aim, you don't have to duck, you
    don't have to dodge. You might as well be playing Simcity.

    >t yet. I did like Outcast though.
    >Why don't you ask your friend exactly what he likes about it?

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.jedi-knight (More info?)

    On 01 Oct 2004 17:58:09 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:

    >My friend raves about it, but I just don't see what's so great about it? The
    >turn-based combat removes skill from the equation so it's just boring. In Jedi
    >Knight Outcast and Jedi Knight Academy light sabre duels are a blast because
    >your skill determines if you live or die. IOW, you have to make the moves not
    >the computer. I just found the combat style of KOTOR completely lame. People
    >just stand around in KOTOR and shoot it out (oh and they duck once in a while).
    >The AI makes no attempt to take cover (and neither can you). LAME.
    >-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    The focus of a RPG is story and strategy, not aim and shoot. Your
    ability to dodge is based on character statistics, not your personal
    'twicth' ability. In that way, it is your ability to build a
    character, to set up your party, to anticipate the needs of battle,
    that matter more than a quick WASD & Mouse response.

    Personally, KotOR is my favorite all-time game, above JKII and JA
    (which are my 2 and 3). I'm no gaming n00b, given my first gaming
    'addiction' was Castle Wolfenstein on my Apple ][+ over 20 years ago!

    What I love about KotOR is the tremendous story, and all of the
    sidequests. I love the action from the Jedi Knight series. They are
    not competitive, in my opinion, but complimentary.

    Mike

Video Games