Upgrading hard drive

mpvasquez

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2004

I am trying to upgrade from a regular ATA hard drive to a SATA hard drive.
The motherboard (intel 875P chipset) has the SATA controler built in. I used
Drive Image 7.0 and the copy drive function however when I tried to boot the
machine it was ok it got to where windows is supposed to start but it didn't
do anything. Is it possible to do what I want without having to reinstall
Windows.

Are SATA drivers required to be loaded onto the original ATA drive prior to
cloning it onto the SATA drive?

r.

"mpvasquez" <mpvasquez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to upgrade from a regular ATA hard drive to a SATA hard drive.
> The motherboard (intel 875P chipset) has the SATA controler built in. I
> used
> Drive Image 7.0 and the copy drive function however when I tried to boot
> the
> machine it was ok it got to where windows is supposed to start but it
> didn't
> do anything. Is it possible to do what I want without having to reinstall
> Windows.

mpvasquez

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2004

Not sure, I wonder if Windows Repair would work. You have to load the drivers
like you would with an install.

"namniar" wrote:

> Are SATA drivers required to be loaded onto the original ATA drive prior to
> cloning it onto the SATA drive?
>
> r.
>

> "mpvasquez" <mpvasquez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to upgrade from a regular ATA hard drive to a SATA hard drive.
> > The motherboard (intel 875P chipset) has the SATA controler built in. I
> > used
> > Drive Image 7.0 and the copy drive function however when I tried to boot
> > the
> > machine it was ok it got to where windows is supposed to start but it
> > didn't
> > do anything. Is it possible to do what I want without having to reinstall
> > Windows.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You should have received a floppy with the motherboard that has the SATA
drivers on it. A repair install and the floppy should do it.