k7s5a pro why its picky

I bough this mf for my kids tosave some $$$, I use the old sdram 512
(256x2), it will crash often id i use nvidia (geforece4 440) new driver
or old crash. but if i use my ati card both 8xagp everythig go
flawlessly, no problen no crash what ever anygame they played ( the kids)
I want my ati back on my system (soyo kt400 ultra, I do some video
editing an things like that for the family) no$$$ to spare right now
(school will start soon).

Whats wrong, is theis MB can only accomodate certain video card.

Thanks
Poor Daddy
5 answers Last reply
More about k7s5a picky
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    bernie wrote:

    > I bough this mf for my kids tosave some $$$, I use the old sdram 512
    > (256x2), it will crash often id i use nvidia (geforece4 440) new driver
    > or old crash. but if i use my ati card both 8xagp everythig go
    > flawlessly, no problen no crash what ever anygame they played ( the kids)
    > I want my ati back on my system (soyo kt400 ultra, I do some video
    > editing an things like that for the family) no$$$ to spare right now
    > (school will start soon).
    >
    > Whats wrong, is theis MB can only accomodate certain video card.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Poor Daddy
    spelling not that good, sorry, i guess i have to blame it to the king
    (budwieser)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Bernie,

    Try taking one stick of the memory out. This board is sometimes
    finicky on what type of memory it will take (SDRAM). If you can buy
    DDR ram, it may solve your problem.

    Also, if it still is bad with one stick of memory, try the other stick
    all by it self. This is the cheapest option to try first. I had the
    same problem and went to DDR RAM and the problem went away.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Try the HoneyX BIOS and then set your cpu and ram speed up a couple of
    cycles (ie: 133MHz to 138MHz).
    This has seemed to help with stability problems.
    Is if possible that the GeForce card draws more power than the
    PowerSupplyUnit can provide?

    "bernie" <h_roid@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I bough this mf for my kids tosave some $$$, I use the old sdram 512
    > (256x2), it will crash often id i use nvidia (geforece4 440) new
    driver
    > or old crash. but if i use my ati card both 8xagp everythig go
    > flawlessly, no problen no crash what ever anygame they played ( the
    kids)
    > I want my ati back on my system (soyo kt400 ultra, I do some video
    > editing an things like that for the family) no$$$ to spare right now
    > (school will start soon).
    >
    > Whats wrong, is theis MB can only accomodate certain video card.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Poor Daddy
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    bernie wrote:

    > I bough this mf for my kids tosave some $$$, I use the old sdram 512
    > (256x2), it will crash often id i use nvidia (geforece4 440) new driver
    > or old crash. but if i use my ati card both 8xagp everythig go
    > flawlessly, no problen no crash what ever anygame they played ( the kids)
    > I want my ati back on my system (soyo kt400 ultra, I do some video
    > editing an things like that for the family) no$$$ to spare right now
    > (school will start soon).
    >
    > Whats wrong, is theis MB can only accomodate certain video card.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Poor Daddy

    I have 2 K7S5A Pro's and both are running G-Force MX-440 cards of different
    mfgs, one is an eVGA, the other is a noname brand. I am using DDR PC2100
    in both, with no problems...

    --
    Kirbalo...

    K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
    1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
    SuSE Linux 9.0 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
    Linux 2.4.21-238-athlon
    9:29pm up 2 days 23:29, 3 users, load average: 1.04, 1.05, 1.10
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "kirbalo" <kirbalo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > bernie wrote:
    >
    > > I bough this mf for my kids tosave some $$$, I use the old sdram 512
    > > (256x2), it will crash often id i use nvidia (geforece4 440) new driver
    > > or old crash. but if i use my ati card both 8xagp everythig go
    > > flawlessly, no problen no crash what ever anygame they played ( the
    kids)
    > > I want my ati back on my system (soyo kt400 ultra, I do some video
    > > editing an things like that for the family) no$$$ to spare right now
    > > (school will start soon).
    > >
    > > Whats wrong, is theis MB can only accomodate certain video card.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Poor Daddy
    >
    > I have 2 K7S5A Pro's and both are running G-Force MX-440 cards of
    different
    > mfgs, one is an eVGA, the other is a noname brand. I am using DDR PC2100
    > in both, with no problems...
    >
    > --
    K7S5A almost always has problems when you try to use 2 sticks of SDRAM. Try
    it with only one stick and you should be okay. Newest drivers aren't always
    the ones that work best so work your way back if you still get troubles with
    the Nvidia video card.

    You can find out anything you want to know about K7S5A at
    www.ocworkbench.com You'll have to register but there's tons of guides about
    the K7S5A boards as well as experts who can help you with anything in the
    ECS sector.

Elitegroup Crash Motherboards