Junior

When I use my home pc to dial I receive no dial tone. I have checked the
volume, wires, and that is properly seated but I cant see any problems. It
connects ok and I can play any other sounds though the PC ok.
The device maage also syas it working ok.

Thanks for any info.

Junior

If your modem has two jacks, make sure the phone line is in the one marked
"line" and not the one marked "phone".

--
KC6ETE Dave's Engineering Page, www.dvanhorn.org
Microcontroller Consultant, specializing in Atmel AVR

I assume that you have the sound level set to high in the modem device
driver.
Modems always used to have a speaker (or other noise-making device!)
on them so you could listen to dial, ring, and connect tones. Some
newer ones don't. Have you ever heard anything from this modem? If it
is working, as appears to be the case, I wouldn't worry about it.

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:57:01 -0700, Junior
<Junior@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I use my home pc to dial I receive no dial tone. I have checked the
>volume, wires, and that is properly seated but I cant see any problems. It
>connects ok and I can play any other sounds though the PC ok.
>The device maage also syas it working ok.
>
>Thanks for any info.
>
>Junior

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

I guess this is not an issolated problem. I'm having the the same problem
with my dial-up modems as well. Things worked ok until I updated to SP2. Now,
my PCs at home and at the office, as well as my Laptops. Now whenever I use
my dial-up modems to get online, I do not get a dial tone and hear any noise
while the modems connect. It does connect and the modems work fine, it's just
that one has to guess if one will get connected or not. Maybe it's just me,
but it seems that connecting takes longer now.

It's probably just a minor bug that I can live with, but any solution or
help regarding this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks,
BSD Guy

"Junior" wrote:

> When I use my home pc to dial I receive no dial tone. I have checked the
> volume, wires, and that is properly seated but I cant see any problems. It
> connects ok and I can play any other sounds though the PC ok.
> The device maage also syas it working ok.
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Junior

I am experiencing a similar problem, but the modem does not connect. I am
trying to get my stepsons computer in operation to give it to his brother.
Our stepson passed away in October. He was in the process of building his
computer and had it in operation for a little while. I do not know what brand
modem he had, looks as though it is built into the motherboard. I do not get
a tone at all and lose all phone capabilities when a line is plugged into the
modem. This occurs even if the computer is powered down and unplugged. Any
ideas from anyone? I am new at this stuff.
Brian
"BSD Guy" wrote:

> I guess this is not an issolated problem. I'm having the the same problem
> with my dial-up modems as well. Things worked ok until I updated to SP2. Now,
> my PCs at home and at the office, as well as my Laptops. Now whenever I use
> my dial-up modems to get online, I do not get a dial tone and hear any noise
> while the modems connect. It does connect and the modems work fine, it's just
> that one has to guess if one will get connected or not. Maybe it's just me,
> but it seems that connecting takes longer now.
>
> It's probably just a minor bug that I can live with, but any solution or
> help regarding this problem will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> BSD Guy
>

> "Junior" wrote:
>
> > When I use my home pc to dial I receive no dial tone. I have checked the
> > volume, wires, and that is properly seated but I cant see any problems. It
> > connects ok and I can play any other sounds though the PC ok.
> > The device maage also syas it working ok.
> >
> > Thanks for any info.
> >
> > Junior

That is the NIC (network interface card) that you have the phone line
plugged into (a cable/DSL modem, router or switch may have been plugged into
this). Dialup modems are NOT built-in to the motherboard unless it is a
laptop.

--
Jonah

"electricmurph" <electricmurph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am experiencing a similar problem, but the modem does not connect. I am
> trying to get my stepsons computer in operation to give it to his brother.
> Our stepson passed away in October. He was in the process of building his
> computer and had it in operation for a little while. I do not know what
> brand
> modem he had, looks as though it is built into the motherboard. I do not
> get
> a tone at all and lose all phone capabilities when a line is plugged into
> the
> modem. This occurs even if the computer is powered down and unplugged. Any
> ideas from anyone? I am new at this stuff.
> Brian
> "BSD Guy" wrote:
>
>> I guess this is not an issolated problem. I'm having the the same problem
>> with my dial-up modems as well. Things worked ok until I updated to SP2.
>> Now,
>> my PCs at home and at the office, as well as my Laptops. Now whenever I
>> use
>> my dial-up modems to get online, I do not get a dial tone and hear any
>> noise
>> while the modems connect. It does connect and the modems work fine, it's
>> just
>> that one has to guess if one will get connected or not. Maybe it's just
>> me,
>> but it seems that connecting takes longer now.
>>
>> It's probably just a minor bug that I can live with, but any solution or
>> help regarding this problem will be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> BSD Guy
>>

>> "Junior" wrote:
>>
>> > When I use my home pc to dial I receive no dial tone. I have checked
>> > the
>> > volume, wires, and that is properly seated but I cant see any problems.
>> > It
>> > connects ok and I can play any other sounds though the PC ok.
>> > The device maage also syas it working ok.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any info.
>> >
>> > Junior

I am having the same problem too! It seemed it came around the time I got
hit w/ spyware in Dec., can't be certain though. I have software but the
spyware keeps coming back in small portions. Along w/ no dial tone there is
no caller-id when Im online and I have to manually connect because the modem
dials up by itself. All basic problems people here mentioned have been
checked w/ otherstuff The problems still exist when I destroy all traces of
spyware....What's the deal?