Using a USB mouse in SafeMode or DOS

Can anyone tell me how I can possibly get my Logitech MX510 corded
optical mouse working in Safe Mode or real DOS?
I have the HoneyX BIOS (HX1209.rom) and a K7S5a rev 3.1 MB and I am
using Win98SE.
I know I can do it using the optional PS/2 adapter that came with it,
but is there any way to do it while it is plugged into USB?
In my BIOS, I have the following USB items enabled:
1) USB Function Support
2) USB Function Support for DOS
3)Thumb Drive Support for DOS

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about using mouse safemode
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Buffalo wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how I can possibly get my Logitech MX510 corded
    > optical mouse working in Safe Mode or real DOS?
    > I have the HoneyX BIOS (HX1209.rom) and a K7S5a rev 3.1 MB and I am
    > using Win98SE.
    > I know I can do it using the optional PS/2 adapter that came with it,
    > but is there any way to do it while it is plugged into USB?
    > In my BIOS, I have the following USB items enabled:
    > 1) USB Function Support
    > 2) USB Function Support for DOS
    > 3)Thumb Drive Support for DOS

    I haven't actually tried to get my Dual Optical to work in DOS (booting
    to BSD is much more useful). You might find these resources helpful though.

    http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:51:35 -0700 Its all about soul.No soul,no life
    and then Dekaritae <maur@mdi.ca> wrote :

    >Buffalo wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me how I can possibly get my Logitech MX510 corded
    >> optical mouse working in Safe Mode or real DOS?
    >> I have the HoneyX BIOS (HX1209.rom) and a K7S5a rev 3.1 MB and I am
    >> using Win98SE.
    >> I know I can do it using the optional PS/2 adapter that came with it,
    >> but is there any way to do it while it is plugged into USB?
    >> In my BIOS, I have the following USB items enabled:
    >> 1) USB Function Support
    >> 2) USB Function Support for DOS
    >> 3)Thumb Drive Support for DOS
    >
    >I haven't actually tried to get my Dual Optical to work in DOS (booting
    >to BSD is much more useful). You might find these resources helpful though.
    >
    >http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/

    I've never bothered getting a USB mouse to work in Safemode
    either.With a little practice you can navigate faster using the
    keyboard in Safemode.
    Tab key/Cursor keys/Alt keys and Enter keys.

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:51:35 -0700 Its all about soul.No soul,no life
    > and then Dekaritae <maur@mdi.ca> wrote :
    >
    > >Buffalo wrote:
    > >> Can anyone tell me how I can possibly get my Logitech MX510 corded
    > >> optical mouse working in Safe Mode or real DOS?
    > >> I have the HoneyX BIOS (HX1209.rom) and a K7S5a rev 3.1 MB and I am
    > >> using Win98SE.
    > >> I know I can do it using the optional PS/2 adapter that came with it,
    > >> but is there any way to do it while it is plugged into USB?
    > >> In my BIOS, I have the following USB items enabled:
    > >> 1) USB Function Support
    > >> 2) USB Function Support for DOS
    > >> 3)Thumb Drive Support for DOS
    > >
    > >I haven't actually tried to get my Dual Optical to work in DOS (booting
    > >to BSD is much more useful). You might find these resources helpful
    though.

    > >http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/
    >
    > I've never bothered getting a USB mouse to work in Safemode
    > either.With a little practice you can navigate faster using the
    > keyboard in Safemode.
    > Tab key/Cursor keys/Alt keys and Enter keys.
    >
    > HTH :)

    What if you also have a USB keyboard? What happens then?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:58:20 -0500 Its all about soul.No soul,no life
    and then "ALE" <too much junk> wrote :

    >"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:51:35 -0700 Its all about soul.No soul,no life
    >> and then Dekaritae <maur@mdi.ca> wrote :

    >> >I haven't actually tried to get my Dual Optical to work in DOS (booting
    >> >to BSD is much more useful). You might find these resources helpful
    >though.
    >> >
    >> >http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/
    >>
    >> I've never bothered getting a USB mouse to work in Safemode
    >> either.With a little practice you can navigate faster using the
    >> keyboard in Safemode.
    >> Tab key/Cursor keys/Alt keys and Enter keys.
    >>
    >> HTH :)
    >>

    >What if you also have a USB keyboard? What happens then?

    You are,"F**ked"<BFG> :O

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply
    email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Shep© wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:58:20 -0500 Its all about soul.No soul,no life
    > and then "ALE" <too much junk> wrote :
    >

    >>What if you also have a USB keyboard? What happens then?
    >>

    > You are,"F**ked"<BFG> :O

    Well nooo not necessarily, that's what the software on the
    prev-mentioned web site is for.

    http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Shep©"

    > >Buffalo wrote:
    > >> Can anyone tell me how I can possibly get my Logitech MX510
    corded
    > >> optical mouse working in Safe Mode or real DOS?
    > >> I have the HoneyX BIOS (HX1209.rom) and a K7S5a rev 3.1 MB and I
    am
    > >> using Win98SE.
    > >> I know I can do it using the optional PS/2 adapter that came with
    it,
    > >> but is there any way to do it while it is plugged into USB?
    > >> In my BIOS, I have the following USB items enabled:
    > >> 1) USB Function Support
    > >> 2) USB Function Support for DOS
    > >> 3)Thumb Drive Support for DOS
    [snip]
    > I've never bothered getting a USB mouse to work in Safemode
    > either.With a little practice you can navigate faster using the
    > keyboard in Safemode.
    > Tab key/Cursor keys/Alt keys and Enter keys.
    >
    > HTH :)

    Curious, why should I even enable USB Function Support for DOS then?
    (HoneyX BIOS)

    What good is it ? Is it necessary for a DOS window.

    Thanks for your reply.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:15:51 -0700 Its all about soul.No soul,no life
    and then Dekaritae <maur@mdi.ca> wrote :

    >Shep© wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:58:20 -0500 Its all about soul.No soul,no life
    >> and then "ALE" <too much junk> wrote :
    >>

    >>>What if you also have a USB keyboard? What happens then?
    >>>

    >> You are,"F**ked"<BFG> :O
    >>

    >Well nooo not necessarily, that's what the software on the
    >prev-mentioned web site is for.
    >
    >http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/

    We was only joking :D
    I keep an old serial mouse and some old PS2 mice around just for this
    and in my kit when I go to fix systems etc :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply
    email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:39:47 GMT To confuse Arrogance with Confidence
    is as stupid as to confuse Ambition with Ability "Buffalo"
    <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote :

    >corded
    >am
    >it,
    >[snip]
    >> I've never bothered getting a USB mouse to work in Safemode
    >> either.With a little practice you can navigate faster using the
    >> keyboard in Safemode.
    >> Tab key/Cursor keys/Alt keys and Enter keys.
    >>
    >> HTH :)
    >
    >Curious, why should I even enable USB Function Support for DOS then?
    >(HoneyX BIOS)
    >
    >What good is it ? Is it necessary for a DOS window.
    >
    >Thanks for your reply.

    You enable it so you can install the dos drivers for the USB
    mouse/device.Basically in win 95/98 Safemode is,"DOS" with a
    GUI(Graphical User Interface) and therefore there will be no native
    USB support in this mode.
    Safemode bypasses all 32 bit drivers and uses the older and
    more robust 16 bit dos drivers/programs.This is what all versions of
    windows are built on,even XP although MS will tell you different as
    they would love to have ,"Really" re-written the code<grin>.
    There will be zealots who will say XP/NT are all new O/S but of course
    that's BS otherwise how could they keep compatibility?
    PS
    The original incompatibility code that BG wrote still exists in all
    versions of windows.Sorry I have to go as the white van that has been
    parked outside my house the last week has just pulled away.It had a
    company name written on the side,

    "Last Bilge " but I think that's an anagram :/

    Heh.Heh :D

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply
    email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Shep©" <
    > >"Shep©"

    > >corded
    > >am
    > >it,
    > >[snip]
    > >> I've never bothered getting a USB mouse to work in Safemode
    > >> either.With a little practice you can navigate faster using the
    > >> keyboard in Safemode.
    > >> Tab key/Cursor keys/Alt keys and Enter keys.
    > >>
    > >> HTH :)
    > >
    > >Curious, why should I even enable USB Function Support for DOS
    then?
    > >(HoneyX BIOS)
    > >
    > >What good is it ? Is it necessary for a DOS window.
    > >
    > >Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > You enable it so you can install the dos drivers for the USB
    > mouse/device.Basically in win 95/98 Safemode is,"DOS" with a
    > GUI(Graphical User Interface) and therefore there will be no native
    > USB support in this mode.

    [snip done to protect you from the guys in the van]

    So you really can install DOS USB drivers and get a USB DOS mouse to
    work in Safe Mode, maybe even DOS?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:18:34 GMT To confuse Arrogance with Confidence
    is as stupid as to confuse Ambition with Ability and then "Buffalo"
    <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote :

    >"Shep©" <
    >> >"Shep©"

    >> >corded
    >and I
    >> >am
    >with
    >> >it,
    >> >[snip]

    >> >Curious, why should I even enable USB Function Support for DOS
    >then?
    >> >(HoneyX BIOS)
    >> >
    >> >What good is it ? Is it necessary for a DOS window.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks for your reply.
    >>
    >> You enable it so you can install the dos drivers for the USB
    >> mouse/device.Basically in win 95/98 Safemode is,"DOS" with a
    >> GUI(Graphical User Interface) and therefore there will be no native
    >> USB support in this mode.
    >
    >[snip done to protect you from the guys in the van]
    >
    >So you really can install DOS USB drivers and get a USB DOS mouse to
    >work in Safe Mode, maybe even DOS?

    Technically it should be possible.If you can get the dos USB to run
    then it should be ok in Safemode :P

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply