Re-probe SCSI bus ? Finding devices w/o rebooting.

I have a w2k system that has an external scsi chain with a couple
devices on it. One is a film scanner that I turn off after use because
sometimes I go for weeks between use and it has a lamp in it that has
a limited lifetime.

If the device is ON when I boot it is discovered, and I can turn ot
off and on without rebooting, but if I reboot the machine
without turning it on I have to reboot.

ISTR that Sparc systems can reprobe the scsi bus on command. Can
w2k/XP do this ?

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Doesn't the light turn off when not in use?!?!? All the scanners I have
leave the lamp OFF until you actually tell them to scan something. That
includes PP attached, SCSI attached, Epson's, HP's and Opti's. You may
want to look in the SCSI adapter BIOS settings also.

In article <415C42DA.3090806@yahoo.com>, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Doesn't the light turn off when not in use?!?!? All the scanners I have
>leave the lamp OFF until you actually tell them to scan something. That
>includes PP attached, SCSI attached, Epson's, HP's and Opti's. You may
>want to look in the SCSI adapter BIOS settings also.

Nope. Close the refrig door and the light stays on :)

--
Al Dykes
-----------

> I have a w2k system that has an external scsi chain with a couple
> devices on it. One is a film scanner that I turn off after use because
> sometimes I go for weeks between use and it has a lamp in it that has
> a limited lifetime.
>
> If the device is ON when I boot it is discovered, and I can turn ot
> off and on without rebooting, but if I reboot the machine
> without turning it on I have to reboot.
>
> ISTR that Sparc systems can reprobe the scsi bus on command. Can
> w2k/XP do this ?

Start>>Control Panel>>System>>Hardware
>>Device Manager>>Action>>right-click the topmost
"computer" icon>>Scan for Hardware Changes

Worked with my old SJIICX.

You can get rid of a few of the steps if you create a shortcut
to DM on the desktop.

> --
> Al Dykes
> adykes at p a n i x . c o m