Video card always wants to install twice on P5SJ-B

I'm trying to piece together some donated hardware and make a usable Win 95
system based on the P5SJ-B motherboard. I've tried 3 or 4 PCI video cards
and one ISA card. With every new card, the system recognizes it, installs
the drivers and asks to reboot. As soon as it restarts, it discovers the
video card again and tries to install it. When the system is started, the
device manager shows one correctly working display adapter and another w/
the same name and a yellow exclamation mark.

All I'm trying to do is get one vide card installed properly so I can add
sound, modem, etc. The BIOS is dated 2/3/98 and is version 1.4.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
JEFF

Smoker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004

"SV" <SVJeff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to piece together some donated hardware and make a usable Win
95
> system based on the P5SJ-B motherboard. I've tried 3 or 4 PCI video cards
> and one ISA card. With every new card, the system recognizes it, installs
> the drivers and asks to reboot. As soon as it restarts, it discovers the
> video card again and tries to install it. When the system is started, the
> device manager shows one correctly working display adapter and another w/
> the same name and a yellow exclamation mark.
>
> All I'm trying to do is get one vide card installed properly so I can add
> sound, modem, etc. The BIOS is dated 2/3/98 and is version 1.4.
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Device Manager may have 4 video cards installed even if you can only see one
or two. Bootup in Safe Mode and go into Device Mangler. Click on every item
listed and if for instance you have more than one floppy drive listed, more
than one LPT1 printer ports, hard drives, etc., and especially you where
your video cards are, Remove everything there where you have duplications.
Have the video card you want to use installed before you do this. Reboot and
Windows should redetect and install everything only once. If you keep trying
different cards, stupid Windows gets confused by all the different drivers.
You really should remove one all the way like this before trying to install
another one.

"Smoker" <nospam@x.y> wrote
> Device Manager may have 4 video cards installed even if you can only see
one
> or two. Bootup in Safe Mode and go into Device Mangler. Click on every
item
> listed and if for instance you have more than one floppy drive listed,
more
> than one LPT1 printer ports, hard drives, etc., and especially you where
> your video cards are, Remove everything there where you have duplications.
> Have the video card you want to use installed before you do this. Reboot
and
> Windows should redetect and install everything only once. If you keep
trying
> different cards, stupid Windows gets confused by all the different
drivers.
> You really should remove one all the way like this before trying to
install
> another one.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Before I changed cards each time, I made sure
there wasn't one listed. I wondered if it might be a Win95 issue, so I
tried Win98 - same result. As it stands now under 98, device manager still
lists 2 cards - one is the correct one (working fine) and the other is
listed as generic VGA and I have it disabled. I can certainly live with
that, but this system is one I'm selling so I wanted to send it out without
something that looks like a problem.

I'm willing to try other ideas...