share printer

Hi Group,

I have a standalone laptop with a printer connected by USB. I want to share
it via Internet to a remote user, is this possible? I have a DSL connection
trough a Linksys router.

Thanks.
Marco

"Limonzito" <marc_ati@icsi.net> wrote in message
> Hi Group,
>
> I have a standalone laptop with a printer connected by USB. I want to
share
> it via Internet to a remote user, is this possible? I have a DSL
connection
> trough a Linksys router.
>
> Thanks.
> Marco

It is possible to do this *but* there are some "but..."'s. A way to do
this is via DDNS. you get a DDNS client (for example 3dwatch
(http://eurocomp.info/3D/) - you can test the concept with the trial
version) and a dyndns account somewhere (for example
http://www.dyndns.org/). Set up your machine with the dyndns client and
share the printer. Finally create an account for the user to log into on
your machine You then give the dynamic dns URL to the remote user, who
connects with the account information and has access to the printer, which
they can map to and install drivers for. They will probably also have
access to whatever folders you have shared.

One of the buts is that this can leave your machine wide open. You might
want to not leave the dyndns client running all the time.

HTH
-pk