Unable to set up functioning workgroup

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
February 17, 2005 2:13:02 PM

I am trying to network four household computers. Basic configuration as
follows:

Computer 1 connected to dsl via Realtek RTL 8139/810x internal ethernet.
Computer 2 connected to Linksys Router via Atheros AR5005GS Wireless
internal adapter.
Computer 3 connected to Linksys Router via MS Broadband Networking Wireless
USB adapter.
Computer 4 connected to dsl via D-Link DHN-520 HPNA.

All four have working internet connections, but all are unable to access
workgroup/shared files/devices. When trying to view workgroup computers,
error message appears to the effect of "workgroup not accessible, you might
not have permission, contact network admin., list of servers not available."

I have set up the workgroup, gone through the various network and wireless
setup wizards--all to no avail.

I am a novice at networking, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.
February 17, 2005 2:19:04 PM

Forgot to mention FWIW, Computers 1 and 2 are running XP Home. Computers 3
and 4 are running XP Pro.

"Don" wrote:

> I am trying to network four household computers. Basic configuration as
> follows:
>
> Computer 1 connected to dsl via Realtek RTL 8139/810x internal ethernet.
> Computer 2 connected to Linksys Router via Atheros AR5005GS Wireless
> internal adapter.
> Computer 3 connected to Linksys Router via MS Broadband Networking Wireless
> USB adapter.
> Computer 4 connected to dsl via D-Link DHN-520 HPNA.
>
> All four have working internet connections, but all are unable to access
> workgroup/shared files/devices. When trying to view workgroup computers,
> error message appears to the effect of "workgroup not accessible, you might
> not have permission, contact network admin., list of servers not available."
>
> I have set up the workgroup, gone through the various network and wireless
> setup wizards--all to no avail.
>
> I am a novice at networking, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

February 17, 2005 6:47:42 PM

Hi
I would suggest reading the following page.
Read first the whole page (I.e. resist the urge to click on any of the
links).
Once you understand the general scope start to investigate the links that
concern your specific setting.
Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Forgot to mention FWIW, Computers 1 and 2 are running XP Home. Computers
3
> and 4 are running XP Pro.
>
> "Don" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to network four household computers. Basic configuration as
> > follows:
> >
> > Computer 1 connected to dsl via Realtek RTL 8139/810x internal ethernet.
> > Computer 2 connected to Linksys Router via Atheros AR5005GS Wireless
> > internal adapter.
> > Computer 3 connected to Linksys Router via MS Broadband Networking
Wireless
> > USB adapter.
> > Computer 4 connected to dsl via D-Link DHN-520 HPNA.
> >
> > All four have working internet connections, but all are unable to access
> > workgroup/shared files/devices. When trying to view workgroup
computers,
> > error message appears to the effect of "workgroup not accessible, you
might
> > not have permission, contact network admin., list of servers not
available."

> > I have set up the workgroup, gone through the various network and
wireless
> > setup wizards--all to no avail.
> >
> > I am a novice at networking, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Related resources
February 17, 2005 6:47:43 PM

Thank you, Jack. I will get started on that and let you know how it goes.

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
> I would suggest reading the following page.
> Read first the whole page (I.e. resist the urge to click on any of the
> links).
> Once you understand the general scope start to investigate the links that
> concern your specific setting.
> Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Forgot to mention FWIW, Computers 1 and 2 are running XP Home. Computers
> 3
> > and 4 are running XP Pro.
> >
> > "Don" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to network four household computers. Basic configuration as
> > > follows:
> > >
> > > Computer 1 connected to dsl via Realtek RTL 8139/810x internal ethernet.
> > > Computer 2 connected to Linksys Router via Atheros AR5005GS Wireless
> > > internal adapter.
> > > Computer 3 connected to Linksys Router via MS Broadband Networking
> Wireless
> > > USB adapter.
> > > Computer 4 connected to dsl via D-Link DHN-520 HPNA.
> > >
> > > All four have working internet connections, but all are unable to access
> > > workgroup/shared files/devices. When trying to view workgroup
> computers,
> > > error message appears to the effect of "workgroup not accessible, you
> might
> > > not have permission, contact network admin., list of servers not
> available."
> > >
> > > I have set up the workgroup, gone through the various network and
> wireless
> > > setup wizards--all to no avail.
> > >
> > > I am a novice at networking, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

February 17, 2005 10:11:02 PM

Don,

I had the same problem as you are having now . I had the internet on all
my systems but I could not see the other systems in My Network Places. If
you are running a firewall on all four computers you need to configure the
firewall so that each computer can have access to one another.

Let me know if that helps.

Daniel

"Don" wrote:

> Thank you, Jack. I will get started on that and let you know how it goes.
>
> "Jack" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I would suggest reading the following page.
> > Read first the whole page (I.e. resist the urge to click on any of the
> > links).
> > Once you understand the general scope start to investigate the links that
> > concern your specific setting.
> > Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Forgot to mention FWIW, Computers 1 and 2 are running XP Home. Computers
> > 3
> > > and 4 are running XP Pro.

> > Wireless

> > computers,
> > might
> > available."

> > wireless

February 18, 2005 1:49:05 PM

Jack,

I digested all that info and proceeded as follows on two machines:

1. Disabled ICF
2. Installed NetBEUI
3. Reset TCP/IP

Good news is it seems to work with both NetBEUI and TCP/IP as default
sharing protocol. Bad news is it is VERY slow on each and these are the two
most powerful machines on the network (Toshiba PS35-611 laptop and Compaq
Presario S7300CL desktop). Do you have suggestions for improving the
performance?

Also, am I "secure" behind the Linksys WRT54G router with ICF disabled and
is this router perhaps part of the performance problem?

Thanks! Don
"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
> I would suggest reading the following page.
> Read first the whole page (I.e. resist the urge to click on any of the
> links).
> Once you understand the general scope start to investigate the links that
> concern your specific setting.
> Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Forgot to mention FWIW, Computers 1 and 2 are running XP Home. Computers
> 3
> > and 4 are running XP Pro.
> >
> > "Don" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to network four household computers. Basic configuration as
> > > follows:
> > >
> > > Computer 1 connected to dsl via Realtek RTL 8139/810x internal ethernet.
> > > Computer 2 connected to Linksys Router via Atheros AR5005GS Wireless
> > > internal adapter.
> > > Computer 3 connected to Linksys Router via MS Broadband Networking
> Wireless
> > > USB adapter.
> > > Computer 4 connected to dsl via D-Link DHN-520 HPNA.
> > >
> > > All four have working internet connections, but all are unable to access
> > > workgroup/shared files/devices. When trying to view workgroup
> computers,
> > > error message appears to the effect of "workgroup not accessible, you
> might
> > > not have permission, contact network admin., list of servers not
> available."
> > >
> > > I have set up the workgroup, gone through the various network and
> wireless
> > > setup wizards--all to no avail.
> > >
> > > I am a novice at networking, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

February 18, 2005 1:51:02 PM

Daniel,

Thanks for the input. I now can communicate within the network, but
performance is poor. See my reply to Jack in this thread for more info and
thanks!

Don

"Daniel" wrote:

> Don,
>
> I had the same problem as you are having now . I had the internet on all
> my systems but I could not see the other systems in My Network Places. If
> you are running a firewall on all four computers you need to configure the
> firewall so that each computer can have access to one another.
>
> Let me know if that helps.
>
> Daniel
>
> "Don" wrote:
>
> > Thank you, Jack. I will get started on that and let you know how it goes.
> >
> > "Jack" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > I would suggest reading the following page.
> > > Read first the whole page (I.e. resist the urge to click on any of the
> > > links).
> > > Once you understand the general scope start to investigate the links that
> > > concern your specific setting.
> > > Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> > >

> > > "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > 3

> > > Wireless

> > > computers,
> > > might
> > > available."

> > > wireless

February 19, 2005 12:25:02 AM

Don,

Your welcome for the input. As for your network being slow it could be a
number of diffrent things. Correct me if wrong but you have two systems
that are wireless and two that are wired through the router? Are all of the
computers slow accessing the network? Or is it just two of them?

As for are you secure behind the Linksys router the answer is yes if you set
up the routers firewall via the web based setup feature. If you are not sure
you can put your CD that came with your router and access the users guide and
find the IP address that you need to access the configuration utility on the
web. I think that the address is 192.168.1.1 if that is not it then just
look at the users guide on the cd it is in there.

Daniel

"Don" wrote:

> Jack,
>
> I digested all that info and proceeded as follows on two machines:
>
> 1. Disabled ICF
> 2. Installed NetBEUI
> 3. Reset TCP/IP
>
> Good news is it seems to work with both NetBEUI and TCP/IP as default
> sharing protocol. Bad news is it is VERY slow on each and these are the two
> most powerful machines on the network (Toshiba PS35-611 laptop and Compaq
> Presario S7300CL desktop). Do you have suggestions for improving the
> performance?
>
> Also, am I "secure" behind the Linksys WRT54G router with ICF disabled and
> is this router perhaps part of the performance problem?
>
> Thanks! Don
> "Jack" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I would suggest reading the following page.
> > Read first the whole page (I.e. resist the urge to click on any of the
> > links).
> > Once you understand the general scope start to investigate the links that
> > concern your specific setting.
> > Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Forgot to mention FWIW, Computers 1 and 2 are running XP Home. Computers
> > 3
> > > and 4 are running XP Pro.

> > Wireless

> > computers,
> > might
> > available."

> > wireless

February 19, 2005 1:39:01 AM

Daniel,

Currently, I have only been able to successfully network two systems through
the router--one wireless and one wired. They are both slow accessing the
network.

I did have the firewall enabled for the router and also took the opportunity
to set a couple of other items that were recommended by Linksys for improved
security--thanks.

Look forward to hearing your comments...

Don

!