Harddrive problem

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2004 1:24:00 AM

Hi all:

I know this is not the appropriate site for a external harddrive quetion,
but there are so many knowledgeable ppl in this ng that i thought i'd give a
try...please don't flame me for posting this in here!

I have an external Hardrive Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 in a Bytecc ME-740
External Enclosure. I dumped some info off my old computer onto this hD and
was able to detect in the new computer when hooked up via USB.

Tried to clone my internal harddrive using Norton Ghost 2003, failed and
formated the external drive to re-do. Ever since, Windows XP will not detect
the external harddrive.

I took the harddrive out of the enclosure and put in in the computer as a
slave, it is detected in bios but not in Windows XP.

any suggestions? please go easy on me, i am new to working with computers.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

More about : harddrive problem

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2004 1:27:23 AM

Should read tried to clone EXTERNAL HD

"Jay Cee" <no@spam.please> wrote in message

> Tried to clone my internal harddrive using Norton Ghost 2003,
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2004 7:08:08 AM

"Jay Cee" <no@spam.please> expounded in

> Hi all:
>
> I know this is not the appropriate site for a external harddrive
> quetion, but there are so many knowledgeable ppl in this ng that i
> thought i'd give a try...please don't flame me for posting this in
> here!
>
> I have an external Hardrive Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 in a Bytecc
> ME-740
> External Enclosure. I dumped some info off my old computer onto this
> hD and was able to detect in the new computer when hooked up via USB.
>
> Tried to clone my internal harddrive using Norton Ghost 2003, failed
> and formated the external drive to re-do. Ever since, Windows XP will
> not detect the external harddrive.
>
> I took the harddrive out of the enclosure and put in in the computer
> as a slave, it is detected in bios but not in Windows XP.
>
> any suggestions? please go easy on me, i am new to working with
> computers.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jamie

I've never played with external USB hard drives so I may not be of much
help, but here goes.

First of all, what do you mean by "formatted"?

If it was just something like "format d:", that should just basically
empty that drive letter and Windows should see an empty drive. But if it
was something like a low-level format, the Windows drive, not to mention
the partition table, would have been wiped out, leaving no drives for
Windows to see. You would need to run FDISK (Does WinXP still use FDISK?),
or perhaps some utility specific to that external drive, to partition the
drive.

Did the drive come with any utilities? If so, you might see if there are
any diagnostic or other utilities that can tell you anything about the
drive. Actually, now that I think about it, there may be some special
utility that you have to run after "re-formatting" the drive before Windows
will see it. (Like I said, I've never used a USB drive, so I really don't
know.)

Hope this helps.

James
!