martin

I have been running a Duron 1.3 on my K7S5A Pro for quite a while now with
no problems.
Had what i believe to be the last but one version of the BIOS from ECS.

Yesterday i got a Duron 1800 applebred and remembered that the BIOS had been
updated to support the newer applebred Durons.
So i downloaded the latest BIOS from ECS and updated my motherboard.
The flash went OK - Duron 1800 recognised - i reset the various BIOS
settings and tried to reboot - i run WinXP Pro.

No success - XP refused to boot.
Had another look through the new BIOS settings and i see that the APIC
support has disappeared from the CPU/Memory settings. With my previous BIOS
i had APIC support enabled.

So i then successfully performed a repair install of my WinXP.
Booted up again successfully and all's OK.

So i'm now gonna run the repaired WinXP install for a few days (as i have
some projects to finish) then i'm planning on a performing a clean install
when i have the time.

Now my question(s)...

Am i right - there is no way to enable APIC support with the latest ECS
BIOS?

My pc seems to be working perfectly fine with what i assume to be standard
PIC enabled - XP System Info shows IRQ's zero through to fifteen available
and most of them in use.
In practice do i really need APIC support enabled or does WinXP (with it's
IRQ steering?) handle evrything fine with just PIC support enabled?

And of course if i really want to enable APIC support can anyone suggest
where to look for a different BIOS? (HoneyX etc)

My system specs:

ECS K7S5A Pro with Duron 1800 and 2 x 256MB PC133 (512MB total RAM).
Radeon 7000 AGP with two monitors.
SB Live and WinTV PCI cards.
160GB and 40GB hard drives.
LG DVD 4081B writer.
LG DVD-ROM.
All four USB ports in use.

Thanks for any info.

Martin.

I had to use a fairly recent version of the Honeyx BIOS to enable
duron 1600 recognition and APIC with my k7s5a. None of the stock ECS
BIOS's provides the ability to enable APIC, to the best of my
recollection. You must have been running a mod'ed BIOS before the
flash. Also, since a BIOS flash can change the PCI IRQ routing, a
"repair" install might be necessary after a flash (happened to me).

--
Best regards,
Kyle

"Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote in message
| I have been running a Duron 1.3 on my K7S5A Pro for quite a while
now with
| no problems.
| Had what i believe to be the last but one version of the BIOS from
ECS.

| Yesterday i got a Duron 1800 applebred and remembered that the BIOS
had been
| updated to support the newer applebred Durons.
| So i downloaded the latest BIOS from ECS and updated my motherboard.
| The flash went OK - Duron 1800 recognised - i reset the various BIOS
| settings and tried to reboot - i run WinXP Pro.
|
| No success - XP refused to boot.
| Had another look through the new BIOS settings and i see that the
APIC
| support has disappeared from the CPU/Memory settings. With my
previous BIOS
| i had APIC support enabled.
|
| So i then successfully performed a repair install of my WinXP.
| Booted up again successfully and all's OK.
|
| So i'm now gonna run the repaired WinXP install for a few days (as i
have
| some projects to finish) then i'm planning on a performing a clean
install
| when i have the time.
|
| Now my question(s)...
|
| Am i right - there is no way to enable APIC support with the latest
ECS
| BIOS?
|
| My pc seems to be working perfectly fine with what i assume to be
standard
| PIC enabled - XP System Info shows IRQ's zero through to fifteen
available
| and most of them in use.
| In practice do i really need APIC support enabled or does WinXP
(with it's
| IRQ steering?) handle evrything fine with just PIC support enabled?
|
| And of course if i really want to enable APIC support can anyone
suggest
| where to look for a different BIOS? (HoneyX etc)
|
| My system specs:
|
| ECS K7S5A Pro with Duron 1800 and 2 x 256MB PC133 (512MB total RAM).
| Radeon 7000 AGP with two monitors.
| SB Live and WinTV PCI cards.
| 160GB and 40GB hard drives.
| LG DVD 4081B writer.
| LG DVD-ROM.
| All four USB ports in use.
|
| Thanks for any info.
|
| Martin.

martin

Thnaks for the reply.

I think you're correct that the official ECS BIOS doesn't have the option to
enable APIC support - i've just been browsing though the ezboard.com forum
and see APIC support is only available with the modded BIOSes.
(I must have used a modded BIOS last time i flashed).

So i've now downloaded the HoneyX 030811 BIOS - that's the latest version -
for my K7S5A Pro 5.

I have some work to complete today then i shall flash to the HoneyX BIOS and
re-install WinXP later or tomorrow.

Any idea what (if any) overclock i might get stable with my setup - i have 2
x 256MB PC133, not DDR?

Thanks again.

Martin.

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I had to use a fairly recent version of the Honeyx BIOS to enable
> duron 1600 recognition and APIC with my k7s5a. None of the stock ECS
> BIOS's provides the ability to enable APIC, to the best of my
> recollection. You must have been running a mod'ed BIOS before the
> flash. Also, since a BIOS flash can change the PCI IRQ routing, a
> "repair" install might be necessary after a flash (happened to me).
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kyle
>
> "Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote in message
> | I have been running a Duron 1.3 on my K7S5A Pro for quite a while
> now with
> | no problems.
> | Had what i believe to be the last but one version of the BIOS from
> ECS.
> |
> | Yesterday i got a Duron 1800 applebred and remembered that the BIOS
> had been
> | updated to support the newer applebred Durons.
> | So i downloaded the latest BIOS from ECS and updated my motherboard.
> | The flash went OK - Duron 1800 recognised - i reset the various BIOS
> | settings and tried to reboot - i run WinXP Pro.
> |
> | No success - XP refused to boot.
> | Had another look through the new BIOS settings and i see that the
> APIC
> | support has disappeared from the CPU/Memory settings. With my
> previous BIOS
> | i had APIC support enabled.
> |
> | So i then successfully performed a repair install of my WinXP.
> | Booted up again successfully and all's OK.
> |
> | So i'm now gonna run the repaired WinXP install for a few days (as i
> have
> | some projects to finish) then i'm planning on a performing a clean
> install
> | when i have the time.
> |
> | Now my question(s)...
> |
> | Am i right - there is no way to enable APIC support with the latest
> ECS
> | BIOS?
> |
> | My pc seems to be working perfectly fine with what i assume to be
> standard
> | PIC enabled - XP System Info shows IRQ's zero through to fifteen
> available
> | and most of them in use.
> | In practice do i really need APIC support enabled or does WinXP
> (with it's
> | IRQ steering?) handle evrything fine with just PIC support enabled?
> |
> | And of course if i really want to enable APIC support can anyone
> suggest
> | where to look for a different BIOS? (HoneyX etc)
> |
> | My system specs:
> |
> | ECS K7S5A Pro with Duron 1800 and 2 x 256MB PC133 (512MB total RAM).
> | Radeon 7000 AGP with two monitors.
> | SB Live and WinTV PCI cards.
> | 160GB and 40GB hard drives.
> | LG DVD 4081B writer.
> | LG DVD-ROM.
> | All four USB ports in use.
> |
> | Thanks for any info.
> |
> | Martin.

martin

Well it's all looking good here....

Flashed to the HoneyX 030811 BIOS.
Worked perfectly - i enabled APIC support with the HoneyX BIOS and my
present PIC configured WinXP install (still) booted no problems.
I then performed a clean install of WinXP and that worked perfectly too!
APIC support enabled and all the extra IRQs showing in System Information.

Have had it running 24/7 for a couple of days - video encoding at times
using 100% of CPU and no problems - :)

Now i looked through the BIOS FSB overclock settings and (remembering that
the K7S5A series (supposedly) refuses to boot when FSB set at 166) i chose
the next fastest setting.
That's both CPU and SDR RAM set to 150MHz...

Got it to boot and it's working away now converting some audio tracks.
WinXP reports a CPU of 2.02GHz.
And aida32 reports 2033MHz AthlonXP 2400+ with CPU temp maxing at about 48C.
That's with the 100% encoding running for a while.

So i'm well pleased with the Duron 1800 - only cost me £36 and i've already
sold the old Duron 1.3GHz for £10.

I'll probably still put the FSB back to 133 as it should be after i've
experimented with it being overclocked.

Martin.

> [...]
> > |
> > | Now my question(s)...
> > |
> > | Am i right - there is no way to enable APIC support with the latest
> > ECS
> > | BIOS?
> > |
> > | My pc seems to be working perfectly fine with what i assume to be
> > standard
> > | PIC enabled - XP System Info shows IRQ's zero through to fifteen
> > available
> > | and most of them in use.
> > | In practice do i really need APIC support enabled or does WinXP
> > (with it's
> > | IRQ steering?) handle evrything fine with just PIC support enabled?
> > |
> > | And of course if i really want to enable APIC support can anyone
> > suggest
> > | where to look for a different BIOS? (HoneyX etc)
> > |
> > | My system specs:
> > |
> > | ECS K7S5A Pro with Duron 1800 and 2 x 256MB PC133 (512MB total RAM).

I would think you can run 138 MHz fsb w/o any worry at all, I did for
a long time with my 1400 tbird and pc2100 DDR (Crucial brand ram
here). Turns out my pc2100 Crucial stick runs at 166 Mhz w/o error.
If you want to test the 150 MHz FSB thoroughly, run memtest86 from a
boot floppy and run prime95 within Windows, my favorite stability
tests.

Glad to hear it all works well.

I run a Duron 1600 (mod'ed to XP, I enabled the cache) that runs at
2100 MHz, and a second Duron 1600 (post week 39 so no mods will work)
that runs 2000 MHz (166 FSB) w/o any burps to report, both systems use
Asus A7N8X-DLX mobos. The Applebred Durons are hard to beat for
price/performance, and they run cool even when overclocked with raised
Vcores. Never seen this Duron 2000 Mhz system get above 42C, I use an
80cm temp activated case fan with a 60cm-80cm adapter on my HSF to
reduce noise, works nicely.

--
> [...]
HoneyX BIOS
| and
| > re-install WinXP later or tomorrow.
| >
| > Any idea what (if any) overclock i might get stable with my
setup - i have
| 2
| > x 256MB PC133, not DDR?
| >
| > Thanks again.
| >
| > Martin.
| >

| > "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
| > > I had to use a fairly recent version of the Honeyx BIOS to
enable
| > > duron 1600 recognition and APIC with my k7s5a. None of the
stock ECS
| > > BIOS's provides the ability to enable APIC, to the best of my
| > > recollection. You must have been running a mod'ed BIOS before
the
| > > flash. Also, since a BIOS flash can change the PCI IRQ routing,
| > > "repair" install might be necessary after a flash (happened to

| > > |
BIOS
| > > had been
| > > |
| > > APIC
| > > previous BIOS
| > > |
| > > |
| > > have
| > > install
| > > |
| > > |
| > > ECS
| > > |
| > > standard
| > > available
WinXP
| > > (with it's
enabled?
| > > |
| > > suggest
| > > |
| > > |
RAM).
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |

Sounds good. Thanks for posting the results.