SP2 goofed up infrared, any fixes yet?

OK, I'm yet another person who can't reliably use infrared after upgrading
to WinXP SP2. My desktop and my notebook computer each have a USB infrared
dongle (from different manufacturers); neither sees an Audiovox Maestro
running Pocket PC 2002. I'm sure this was working much better a few weeks
ago (before the upgrade to SP2?).

I see no reasonable way to debug infrared on WinXP SP2. There is no program
to run, nothing to check, etc. If the magic icon doesn't appear in the
tray, there is apparently no remedy. What do I do with this?

Have you tried IR with any other device?
For example, do your two XP2 computers see each other?
How the IR adapters appear in device manager?
--PA

"Lawrence G. Mayka" <lgmayka000@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:5E17d.12362$Qv5.4049@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> OK, I'm yet another person who can't reliably use infrared after upgrading
> to WinXP SP2. My desktop and my notebook computer each have a USB infrared
> dongle (from different manufacturers); neither sees an Audiovox Maestro
> running Pocket PC 2002. I'm sure this was working much better a few weeks
> ago (before the upgrade to SP2?).
>
> I see no reasonable way to debug infrared on WinXP SP2. There is no program
> to run, nothing to check, etc. If the magic icon doesn't appear in the
> tray, there is apparently no remedy. What do I do with this?

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried IR with any other device?
> For example, do your two XP2 computers see each other?
> How the IR adapters appear in device manager?

The situation is becoming clearer.

One IR adapter now seems to work reasonably well on both computers. (Let's
hope it doesn't revert to malfunctioning tomorrow.) This IR adapter has a
SigmaTel chipset with a November 2003 driver.

The other IR adapter--on either the desktop or notebook computer--almost
never sees the Pocket PC. But it does see a BJC-80 printer, and can print
to it! This other IR adapter has a Mobile Action Tech (MA-660) chipset,
with a driver dating from 2002.

My nephew's notebook computer, which exhibits the same problem, has a
built-in infrared port, presumably with an old driver.

If one IR adapter is attached to each computer, the two computers do indeed
see each other.

So the problem now appears to be isolated to a combination of a Pocket PC
(running the 2000 or 2002 versions) and an IR port with an older driver.