K7S5A AGP Probs

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 8, 2004 10:01:15 PM

I have a problem with the AGP on my k7s5a.
In my device mangler, I don't have the AGP drivers installed, just the
PCI-to-PCI bridge. So I update this driver, install the latest SiS AGP
Driver (117e) and reboot. However on rebooting, I have screen
corruption, yellow lines appearing all over the screen, missing icons,
and the screen keeps flicking on and off randomly.
I have to reboot in safe mode and change the SiS AGP driver back to
the PCI-PCI bridge!

This had happened with every AGP card I've had, previously a GeForce2
MX 400 and now, as i thought it might be the cards problem (and wanted
an excuse for an upgrade anyway!) a 9800 AIW.

Please someone tell me they know whats going on and can solve it, as I
would like to use my new card to its full potential, and i think I can
feel insanity creeping in!

Ross

More about : k7s5a agp probs

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2004 5:32:14 AM

On 8 Sep 2004 18:01:15 -0700, ross.deane@gmail.com (Ross) wrote:

>I have a problem with the AGP on my k7s5a.
>In my device mangler, I don't have the AGP drivers installed, just the
>PCI-to-PCI bridge. So I update this driver, install the latest SiS AGP
>Driver (117e) and reboot. However on rebooting, I have screen
>corruption, yellow lines appearing all over the screen, missing icons,
>and the screen keeps flicking on and off randomly.
>I have to reboot in safe mode and change the SiS AGP driver back to
>the PCI-PCI bridge!
>
>This had happened with every AGP card I've had, previously a GeForce2
>MX 400 and now, as i thought it might be the cards problem (and wanted
>an excuse for an upgrade anyway!) a 9800 AIW.
>
>Please someone tell me they know whats going on and can solve it, as I
>would like to use my new card to its full potential, and i think I can
>feel insanity creeping in!

Where you getting this driver?
All I've ever done is put the CD (that came with the motherboard)
in the CDrom drive, run the auto install and reboot 3 times.
September 9, 2004 11:10:08 AM

"Ross" <ross.deane@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a problem with the AGP on my k7s5a.
> In my device mangler, I don't have the AGP drivers installed, just the
> PCI-to-PCI bridge. So I update this driver, install the latest SiS AGP
> Driver (117e) and reboot. However on rebooting, I have screen
> corruption, yellow lines appearing all over the screen, missing icons,
> and the screen keeps flicking on and off randomly.
> I have to reboot in safe mode and change the SiS AGP driver back to
> the PCI-PCI bridge!
>
> This had happened with every AGP card I've had, previously a GeForce2
> MX 400 and now, as i thought it might be the cards problem (and wanted
> an excuse for an upgrade anyway!) a 9800 AIW.
>
> Please someone tell me they know whats going on and can solve it, as I
> would like to use my new card to its full potential, and i think I can
> feel insanity creeping in!

The proper way to do it is to install the SIS AGP before the video card
drivers. Don't know what OS you're using but it's best to bootup in
SafeMode, go into Device Manager and Remove everything under Display
Adapters. There might be a mess in there. You should uninstall the SIS AGP
also because if you installed it more than once it can cause problems and
drive you nuts. Then reboot again in Safe Mode and install the SIS AGP. Then
reboot in regular mode and when Windows detects your video card, steer it to
your drivers.

Depending on your system and video card, the newest version of SIS AGP (or
any companies AGP) isn't always the best one to use for your circumstances.
I'm using SIS 108d with my K7S5A situation. Anything newer causes wild
problems.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 4:00:48 AM

On 8 Sep 2004 18:01:15 -0700 Humanity I love.It's just people who piss
me off ;-) ross.deane@gmail.com (Ross) wrote :

>I have a problem with the AGP on my k7s5a.
>In my device mangler, I don't have the AGP drivers installed, just the
>PCI-to-PCI bridge. So I update this driver, install the latest SiS AGP
>Driver (117e) and reboot. However on rebooting, I have screen
>corruption, yellow lines appearing all over the screen, missing icons,
>and the screen keeps flicking on and off randomly.
>I have to reboot in safe mode and change the SiS AGP driver back to
>the PCI-PCI bridge!
>
>This had happened with every AGP card I've had, previously a GeForce2
>MX 400 and now, as i thought it might be the cards problem (and wanted
>an excuse for an upgrade anyway!) a 9800 AIW.
>
>Please someone tell me they know whats going on and can solve it, as I
>would like to use my new card to its full potential, and i think I can
>feel insanity creeping in!
>
>Ross

What O/S?

--