IDE channels - does the Pri/Slave configuration actually m..

Hi there

I recently puchased four machine from a local system builder. They contain
modern CDRW drives, but they do all sorts of odd things, such as:

# Not recognising anything has been put into the drive until it is SINGLE
clicked in Explorer (the disc will then autoplay).
# Intermittently not noticing that the disc in the drive has changed, until
it is soft ejected.
# Very long spin up time, which semi-hangs the PC until it is done.
# The IDE activity light flashes every 2-3 seconds, rhythmicly, even when
the PC is idle.

On checking BIOS, all of these machines have the HDD as Pri Master and the
CDRW as Sec Slave - and these are the only devices in here. Opening the case
confirms this, and it looks like the Sec Slave connector (2nd connector on
the cable) has been used for easier cable routing. Would this explain my
problems? Is it normally a problem to have the IDE devices set up this way? I
would hazard a guess that it isn't a good idea, and I certainly wouldn't do
it myself, but if anybody else has further info on this BEFORE I speak to the
system builder, I would be very grateful.

Regards

Dan

I have had issues with CDroms and cdrws not working after
i installed service packs and updates from microsoft.
find out what MoBo's (look for serial/model numbers) you
have in the systems from
www.motherboards.org (read the rules)they will be able to
link to a manual possibly or you can then find it from
the manufacturers website(normally)
If the boards have 2 IDE slots i would suggest buying a
another ide cable(s) from www.ebuyer.co.uk (normally
about £1 each)
then set up so that HDD(primary master usually coloured
slot) has its own cable and same for the CDrw's(secondary
master usually black slot)
if you have one device on each cable you can set the HDD
and CDRW jumpers to Cable Select or the setting you wish.
Its generally not a good idea to have CDRW/CDrom on the
same IDE cable as the HDD as this will slow the HDD down.
Also something i have found is that windows updates
sometimes swithes on "DMA" option in CDROM/CDRW
properties.
switch this off(untick)in device manager>CDROM/CDRW or
IDE ATA controller properties primary and secondary
advanced settings and reboot
this may solve the problem as some older boards do not
support DMA.
The other possibility is that the builder has used
old/cheap CDRW drives in your systems which sometimes
will not read newer formats.so check out ebuyer.co.uk for
the latest CDRW drives.
LiteON, LG, samsung and BenQ (52x32x52 is the standard)
make nice drives and are relatively cheap to buy.
HTH

If I understand correctly, the HDD is primary on IDE0 and the CDRW is slave
on IDE1 (two separate cables).. set the jumper on the CDRW to master and
attach it to the end of cable IDE1..

"Daniel Walker" <DanielWalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> I recently puchased four machine from a local system builder. They contain
> modern CDRW drives, but they do all sorts of odd things, such as:
>
> # Not recognising anything has been put into the drive until it is SINGLE
> clicked in Explorer (the disc will then autoplay).
> # Intermittently not noticing that the disc in the drive has changed,
> until
> it is soft ejected.
> # Very long spin up time, which semi-hangs the PC until it is done.
> # The IDE activity light flashes every 2-3 seconds, rhythmicly, even when
> the PC is idle.
>
> On checking BIOS, all of these machines have the HDD as Pri Master and the
> CDRW as Sec Slave - and these are the only devices in here. Opening the
> case
> confirms this, and it looks like the Sec Slave connector (2nd connector on
> the cable) has been used for easier cable routing. Would this explain my
> problems? Is it normally a problem to have the IDE devices set up this
> way? I
> would hazard a guess that it isn't a good idea, and I certainly wouldn't
> do
> it myself, but if anybody else has further info on this BEFORE I speak to
> the
> system builder, I would be very grateful.
>
> Regards
>
> Dan

I cannot imagine why one would configure drives this way, though I
wouldn't swear that it should cause the problems you are seeing. OTOH,
if, by "the 2nd connector on the cable" you mean the one at the
opposite end to the motherboard connector, I would expect it to be the
one used for a single device, since you can, at least in theory, have
problems if the middle of an IDE cable is terminated in a drive and
the "far end" isn't. I would try reconfiguring one of the systems more
conventionally (!). If this gets rid of your "quirks", have some full,
free, and frank discussions with the system builder.

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 03:49:01 -0700, "Daniel Walker"
<DanielWalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I recently puchased four machine from a local system builder. They contain
>modern CDRW drives, but they do all sorts of odd things, such as:
>
># Not recognising anything has been put into the drive until it is SINGLE
>clicked in Explorer (the disc will then autoplay).
># Intermittently not noticing that the disc in the drive has changed, until
>it is soft ejected.
># Very long spin up time, which semi-hangs the PC until it is done.
># The IDE activity light flashes every 2-3 seconds, rhythmicly, even when
>the PC is idle.
>
>On checking BIOS, all of these machines have the HDD as Pri Master and the
>CDRW as Sec Slave - and these are the only devices in here. Opening the case
>confirms this, and it looks like the Sec Slave connector (2nd connector on
>the cable) has been used for easier cable routing. Would this explain my
>problems? Is it normally a problem to have the IDE devices set up this way? I
>would hazard a guess that it isn't a good idea, and I certainly wouldn't do
>it myself, but if anybody else has further info on this BEFORE I speak to the
>system builder, I would be very grateful.
>
>Regards
>
>Dan

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

Hi Peter... thanks for actually reading the question!

"Peter R. Fletcher" wrote:

> I cannot imagine why one would configure drives this way, though I
> wouldn't swear that it should cause the problems you are seeing.

This is the problem I have. It's clearly a silly way of doing it, but I
can't be certain why! Two of these machines have issues, the other two don't
(although they're all a bit laggy).

I'm reconfig. the jumpers, as you suggested.

Many thanks

"Daniel Walker" <DanielWalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> I recently puchased four machine from a local system builder. They contain
> modern CDRW drives, but they do all sorts of odd things, such as:
>
> # Not recognising anything has been put into the drive until it is SINGLE
> clicked in Explorer (the disc will then autoplay).
> # Intermittently not noticing that the disc in the drive has changed,
until
> it is soft ejected.
> # Very long spin up time, which semi-hangs the PC until it is done.
> # The IDE activity light flashes every 2-3 seconds, rhythmicly, even when
> the PC is idle.
>
> On checking BIOS, all of these machines have the HDD as Pri Master and the
> CDRW as Sec Slave - and these are the only devices in here. Opening the
case
> confirms this, and it looks like the Sec Slave connector (2nd connector on
> the cable) has been used for easier cable routing. Would this explain my
> problems?

It's possible. Put the CDRW at the far end of the cable and jumper it to
master.

> Is it normally a problem to have the IDE devices set up this way?

No.