optical intellimouse 4.0 scroll will not work after a few ..

XP pro SP1 MSI K7T turbo 2 MoBo with latest bios and
drivers.
I just got a optical intellimouse explorer 4.0 with tilt
and i have the latest software intellipoint 5.2
originally the scroll up/down worked but now it will not
in any programs.
this is very annoying in IE6.
I have tried plugin to USB and PS2 but no change
Reinstalled sofware twice but no change
I have been to main.cpl and made the advanced setting
to "auto detect scrolling wheel" but it was set to that
anyway.
also tried the reg hack as here
us;327808
I tried method 1 and 3 but no pnpOF06 in reg
How do i get it to work?
I have searched the MSKB but nothing much comes back on
this mouse or issue.

works for a while then just stops working.
whats going on?

I'm in the same boat, Shame the MS site is so ANAL you cannot actually get
support for this product.

I'm gonna have to murder a random microsoft employee or switch to logitech
soon cause it's REALLY pissing me off!

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-US&qu=optical+intellimouse
try the above.

"ANUS" <ANUS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm in the same boat, Shame the MS site is so ANAL you cannot actually get
> support for this product.
>
> I'm gonna have to murder a random microsoft employee or switch to logitech
> soon cause it's REALLY pissing me off!

I bought a new intellimouse 4.0 and had the same problem. I have 5.2
Intellipoint software, fresh install of windows XP. Using ps2 adapter.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling software (didn't work).

The solution was to unplug the mouse and put it back in (while the computer
was turned on). As if by magic the scroll wheel came back to life. Hope
this helps someone.