Power Supply?

First, thanks for the feedback on the other post... it may just be the power
supply.

I am replacing the power supply on a budget, but... I also want to have
enough umpffff for future budget upgrades (looking toward XP2600 or 3000,
333 or 400 board maybe, 1GDDR DVD burner Radeon 9100) possibly in future. I
also need to quiet this thing down a bit, if I can. I just cannot afford the
top end stuff, so I searched and seem to see this as the best of the
cheapos:

What does anyone think of this as an economical solution with some forward
upgrading expected?

http://www.directron.com/tt450ss4fanc.html

There's an 'Overclockers' link that has a good breakdown on it.

Thanks for looking at it.

Well... I just don't know *what* to think now.

To determine that the issues in my other thread were from the PS, I
diconnected both CDburner and DVD drive. It seemed to boot OK... but just
now it didn't seem like it was ever going to POST to a point that I was just
about to decide it was dead. Having those drives disconnected did not help I
guess. <SIGH>

Not sure where I'm going to go with this next.

"Jess Fertudei" <not@this.juncture.com> wrote in message
> First, thanks for the feedback on the other post... it may just be the
power
> supply.
>
> I am replacing the power supply on a budget, but... I also want to have
> enough umpffff for future budget upgrades (looking toward XP2600 or 3000,
> 333 or 400 board maybe, 1GDDR DVD burner Radeon 9100) possibly in future.
> also need to quiet this thing down a bit, if I can. I just cannot afford
the
> top end stuff, so I searched and seem to see this as the best of the
> cheapos:
>
> What does anyone think of this as an economical solution with some forward
> upgrading expected?
>

> http://www.directron.com/tt450ss4fanc.html
>
> There's an 'Overclockers' link that has a good breakdown on it.
>

> Thanks for looking at it.

Smoker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004

"Jess Fertudei" <not@this.juncture.com> wrote in message
> First, thanks for the feedback on the other post... it may just be the
power
> supply.
>
> I am replacing the power supply on a budget, but... I also want to have
> enough umpffff for future budget upgrades (looking toward XP2600 or 3000,
> 333 or 400 board maybe, 1GDDR DVD burner Radeon 9100) possibly in future.
> also need to quiet this thing down a bit, if I can. I just cannot afford
the
> top end stuff, so I searched and seem to see this as the best of the
> cheapos:
>
> What does anyone think of this as an economical solution with some forward
> upgrading expected?
>

> http://www.directron.com/tt450ss4fanc.html

The specs on it look terrific. I couldn't find a bad review anywhere on
Google and one site said it's made in the same house as Enermax. It would
scare me because of the stupid name and price, but it looks good from all
the sources I read.

Smoker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004

> Well... I just don't know *what* to think now.
>
> To determine that the issues in my other thread were from the PS, I
> diconnected both CDburner and DVD drive. It seemed to boot OK... but just
> now it didn't seem like it was ever going to POST to a point that I was
just
> about to decide it was dead. Having those drives disconnected did not help
> guess. <SIGH>

They helped to give you a sign that if you're using less hardware/watts,
your machine will boot. If it won't boot consistently, it's likely too much
strain on the PSU. When considering a power supply as a problem, it's a real
good idea to post your brand and model number.

I'd say go with the Directon unit as even if you had to pay a restocking fee
to return it, the low price to begin with wouldn't make it cost that much.
Except postage is high because power supplies are heavy.

The best option if you could, would be to borrow a quality/known good PSU
from a friend and try it in your case.

I don't know if I replied to you yesterday or not. If you are using a K7S5A
board, faulty or weak power supplies have caused the most problems with it
and magically disappear when a quality unit is installed. Minimum specs to
look for on the PSU label would be like +3.3v = 28A and +5v = 35A -- higher
is better.